Saving Digitals to CDs?

Princess Tink

DVC Member
Question for all you Digital geniuses. I heard in the news this morning that those of us saving ours pictures on CDs may be in for a rude awakening 2-5 yrs down the road. The said CDs consist of multiple layers of color which over time breakdown. It was mentioned that DVDs would be the better alternative, as they will last long. Has anyone else heard of such a thing? I tried finding more info on their website today, however they seem to be having web issues.

If so, how much longer are we talking with DVDs....I want mine to last forever!

HELP!!!

well nothing will last forever. CDs do degrade. Do I think any of us will have a problem in 2-5 years probablly not, but 15-20...maybe.

It is recommended to store on the latest. Move the CDs to DVD the DVDs to the next new thing.

I scrapbook my favorite photos and hope to preserve some of them that way.

Yup, what RadioNate said. Both CD-R and DVD-/+R are dye-based optical media. They WILL deteriorate over time. In a temperature, light and humidity controlled environment, my CD-Rs last about 8 years. In my basement, my DVD-R last about 3 years. Basically, choose your poison.

I personally back all my data on DVD-R recorded at the slowest speed possible and did the data verification after each burn, AND to an external hard drive dedicated to pictures that only switched on when I need to back up or retrieve the data

You also should be making 2 copies of each cd or dvd. Put one away to act as your negative. It is a good idea to keep up with the technology because in coming years you may not be able to read them. Anyone still have a 5 1/2 floppy drive? :)

Hey! I still do (well, until last month when it died). DH and I made a bundle transferring those floppies to CDs for libraries and companies. Anybody knows where I can get a brand new one?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter