#SaveBurudika - Harambe Village Street Band Ending 10/13

GADisneyDad14

Disney Resorts Board
This is a spin-off from this thread, or maybe my own rant - not sure.

I'm usually not one to partake in 'change outrage' - it's inevitable... attractions come and go, entertainment comes and goes, favorite CMs come and go. It's just part of the fabric of WDW. We move on.

Evidently Burudika, the Harambe Village Street Band at DAK will be ending 10/13. This news has been bugging me more than most and I've been trying to process my opinion on the matter.

For those on Twitter, #SaveBurudika has been popping up quite a bit in my timeline over the last few days with lots of posts of favorite pictures and videos of their performances. It has served as a nice reminder of just how much we have enjoyed that little corner of WDW in our travels and the fond memories we have of our children at various ages dancing around to the music. Or when we've stopped for a beverage or two at Dawa Bar and enjoyed the sights/sounds of their shows.

I rarely feel the need to write to Disney with my opinion of their park offerings, but if so inclined, options include:

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

or

George Kalogridis
President of Walt Disney World
407-828-2600
george.kalogridis@disney.com

Thanks.

Is this the group kind of in front of the restrooms in Africa? They get people out there to dance with them. I have videos of my 13 year old starting at 18 months old dancing with them every year. For sure our favorite entertainment.

meh...it is just background noise, and they do nothing but create a traffic jam.

I am sure they are talented, but i don't see the purpose. Add some speakers and play a CD of them, all the time. You accomplish the same goal.

Add "atmosphere", but dont impede traffic.

meh...it is just background noise, and they do nothing but create a traffic jam.

I am sure they are talented, but i don't see the purpose. Add some speakers and play a CD of them, all the time. You accomplish the same goal.

So basically you are against most live entertainment. Festival of Fantasy Parade, the various street parties, Trolley show, Dapper Dans, Main Street Band, Citizens of Hollywood...

This is an incredibly ignorant post, and shows that you understand absolutely nothing about their actual purpose or why they were there in the first place. Or why people are upset they are leaving.

Respectfully disagree. A CD and speakers do not bring the same CULTURE as brown skin, traditional African dress, traditional African dance, etc. CD's do not bring you up from the crowd and sing Happy Birthday to you
CD's don't play limbo or engage the crowd
CD's are what other parks have. What sets Disney apart to me is live entertainment like Dapper Dans, Citizens of Hollywood, the Japanese drumming ladies, the Burudika band. Discarding live entertainment for canned music is exactly why Disney is losing its magic and why it isn't like it used to be. IMO.

Yeah this one really sucks. Burudika and other live entertainment is exactly what makes WDW/DL so special. To me, without that and awesome CMs (don't get me started on boxes replacing PP photographers...), Disney is no different than my local theme park. I've already emailed several times about Muppets and photopass, but I suppose George (yes, we're on a first name basis now) can stand another (100) emails from me :lmao:

Wow - as you can see from my avatar, Harambe in AK is my happy place. Often, while my family ran off to do EE, of Kali, I'd get a coffee and an Elephant Ear pastry at Kusafiri Bakery and sit on that rounded bench right across from the band. Loved the music and watching folks of all ages join in the dancing.

Disney got this piece of the park soooooo right. And now they are removing an important part of that. :(

they also provide joy to a ton of families - I doubt a CD is going to accomplish the same, but what do I know ?

Not gonna rain on the parade or say don't do it. Just going to say try not to be too disappointed if your pleas go unanswered.

They join a distinguished group of cancelled entertainment - some of them enjoyed larger followings and bigger outcries.
So true-I learned with Off Kilter that once The Mouse has made up his mind-GAME OVER.

I can't remember them ever not being at Animal Kingdom. To me-when I think of AK, they are really the first thing that comes to mind. The thing that lets you FEEL the culture there. This cut really got me too--- it is like cutting an essential piece out of AK to me. I don't feel like they are just a band like some of the music acts in the other parks.

Not gonna rain on the parade or say don't do it. Just going to say try not to be too disappointed if your pleas go unanswered.

They join a distinguished group of cancelled entertainment - some of them enjoyed larger followings and bigger outcries.

I know, and I feel the same as you, Disney seldom changes it's mind when they slam the hammer down.

I think that cutting live entertainment is one of the easiest ways to cut costs, or in some cases to keep guests moving along. I'm not sure it is effective in the end though, because some parks benefit from having a reason to slow people down. I firmly believer DAK and Epcot are two of those parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter