• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

satelite or dont bother?

jimjr

Earning My Ears
Anyone have much luck using their satelite dish at Ft Wilderness? I'm wondering if its worth lugging it down with me. Thanks.

Jim

We have never taken ours along, but I would think it would be hard to get an unobstructed line. There are an awful lot of trees. Besides you really aren't in your camper that much. At least we aren't.

We were down over Christmas and just had a little whole in the trees and with my husband's patience he was able to get a signal. We were back over March Break and were not able to get a signal...too many trees. Our dish is mounted on the trailer. There are alot of sites that would be okay with lots of open sky. I found the tv reception only got one channel clearly and another few that were quite snowy. We didn't watch much tv at all but I did like having the option of using the dish.

Hi LML... just curious what satellite provider you were able to get in Fort Wilderness. I have DirecTV and ExpressVu. I was able to find some Exvu settings for Orlando but I'd love to know if anyone has been able to lock on the satellite from there. We will be in FW for 18 days and it might be nice to be able to pick up some Canadian news. Right now, I'm leaning towards taking the American satellite just because I wasn't sure if I could get a signal with the Canadian one. Thanks.

We were there twice last year and did fine getting DirecTV from both campsites we had. In both cases I put the dish on the top of the RV. (Motorhome) The first site was a little tricky and I had to find a 'hole' in the trees. Took awhile but I got it. But for a 10 day stay, the extra 15 minutes I fiddled around with the location was well worth it.

The second site was a snap. Turned out the satellite was pointed out directly the way the driver would face if sitting in the driver's seat. This gave us a clear view along the path of our campsite, over the road a little bit, and across the street to clear sky.

When you check in there may be a lot of leeway in what campsites are available. Or if not crowded, you may get to your assigned site, see one or two better suited, and get changed to one of them.

If you can get a good map of the campground, and look-up ahead at what azimuth the satellite would have to aim, you might be able to pick a site that has a great unobstructed view like we got (by accident) for our 2nd campsite example above.

Have a great trip.

P.S. We have two dishes, one that is attached to the RV roof and cranks up from the inside, and one that is portable and we can set-up anywhere within 50 feet of the RV. In the examples above, in the first case I had to use the portable. In the 2nd case, the crank-up worked fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter