• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Saratoga Springs Question

SimbaCub63

Mouseketeer
I thought I would stray over from the VMK threads and ask a question in a new category this morning! ;)

In a couple of weeks, I will be making my first trip to Saratoga Springs. I'm excited about that, but at the same time, a little sad that my "home" resort at Boardwalk was full when I went to book.

My question is about room selection. My experience at check-in most times at BW has been that the clerk shows you a map and gives you the option of 3 or 4 rooms to select from.

My preference at BW has always been an upper floor room overlooking community hall and the quiet pool where I can sit on the balcony in the morning, watch boats on the canal, drink coffee and slowly wake up and prepare for a day in the parks.

My inclination would be to look for a similar room at SS, but can those who have been there tell me if there are other things I should consider? Distance to bus stops? (I won't have a car). Distance to ice machines? Great views I might be missing? (I have requested a preferred view room) Etc.?

Thanks in advance!

The Springs is closest to the main buildings (ie. restaurants, spa, theme pool) Maybe 2 min. walk and quite a walk to DTD than other parts of SSR. Not sure about the view or time to DTD. Maybe someone who has stayed there can answer that.

Congress park has incredible views of PI and DTD. I think as good as BW view IMO. If you want this view ask for it, as there are some garden view in there too. It also has a really nice quiet pool right on the lake. It really is stunning. It does take 5-7 mins. to get to the main buildings. It also has a 5-7 min. walk to DTD. You can take a bus to either place as well.

Paddocks is quite far from everything and maybe someone who has stayed there can chime in.

My suggestion if you like the cannal veiw at BWV, (we had it and it was wonderfu :goodvibes l), I would go for Congress park because the boats go by,the view is incedible. I hope you like it. :wizard:

Congress Park is the best view-wise, IMHO. The walk to DTD is not bad. We stayed in a one-bedroom August 2004 with a great view of DTD. We did not have a car either and did not find the walk to the bus-stop too onerous. We were on the first floor; I would guess it took about 5 minutes.

I was not aware that any other buildings had opened yet, but I have not really been keeping up on the news at SSR. We are visiting again for a short trip in November and hope to have as nice a view as before.

I hope that the seemingly unfortunate circumstances that forced you to book at SSR wind up being serendipitous and that it turns out you've found a new resort that you really like.

gppnj said:
I hope that the seemingly unfortunate circumstances that forced you to book at SSR wind up being serendipitous and that it turns out you've found a new resort that you really like.

Based on when you're going and when I'm going (see signature below), I also hope it wasn't me who took your room. :earboy2:

Thanks for starting this thread, we have the same question about the different views and walking distances (and a few more). Do the buildings have elevators? We don't want to lug the double stroller up a few flights of stairs if we don't have too. Is it more like OKW where you enter the room from an exterior door? Is there only one bus stop?

All buildings have elevators. The villas have outside entrances with covered walkways to each room similar to OKW, but more protected from the wind and rain due to exterior hallways or walkways.

There is a bus stop at each section. Right now Congress Park is open, the Springs, and some of the Paddocks area.

Congress Park and the Paddocks have really nice quiet pools, the Springs is directly across from the main pool.

Sammie said:
All buildings have elevators. The villas have outside entrances with covered walkways to each room similar to OKW, but more protected from the wind and rain due to exterior hallways or walkways.

There is a bus stop at each section. Right now Congress Park is open, the Springs, and some of the Paddocks area.

Congress Park and the Paddocks have really nice quiet pools, the Springs is directly across from the main pool.

Thanks sammie,

We aren't really as interested in the view, so we are looking at the springs near the main pool and a bus stop. It looks like a good location on the map. 2 small kids so being close to the food and other thing is good.

Does that mean that you enter from the outside and your blacony is at the rear of your room? Does that mean the blacony's at Congress park face the water, but you enter your room from the other side of the resort?

One more question. When we stayed at OKW many people said "it is great if you have a car." We never normally rent one so we didn't, but we should of listened to others. We didn't like OKW as much ast the other resorts, and I think we would of more if we had a better room location and a car. We were on the 2nd floor, no elevator, small kid in stroller, blacony that was faceing nothng but a overgrown plam tree. Is SSR that way too?

DisneyPhD said:
Does that mean that you enter from the outside and your blacony is at the rear of your room?

Correct.

Does that mean the blacony's at Congress park face the water, but you enter your room from the other side of the resort?

Most of the balconies in CP face the water, but not all. The buildings are horseshoe-shaped, and thus there will be some rooms that do not directly face the water.

One more question. When we stayed at OKW many people said "it is great if you have a car." We never normally rent one so we didn't, but we should of listened to others. We didn't like OKW as much ast the other resorts, and I think we would of more if we had a better room location and a car.

While I LOVE OKW, I think the one design decision that hurts the resort is the fact that the Hospitality House is not in a very central location. It is quite far from many of the buildings.

At SSR, the restaurant, pool and Carriage House are all in a more central location. From the most distant buildings you should be able to walk there in 5-7 minutes tops. I don't see where having a car will really make a difference in getting around the resort. By the time you get everyone packed into the car, drive to your destination, and then unpack, you could have walked in the same amount of time.

Personally I like the freedom of having a car at WDW, but not to get around at the resort.

As for the theme parks, you'll have to take Disney busses to all destinations. Even with a stroller, I tend to prefer taking busses to walking 15-20 minutes from other DVC resorts to parks, but YMMV. But I'll take a car over the bus OR walking. ;)

We were on the 2nd floor, no elevator, small kid in stroller, blacony that was faceing nothng but a overgrown plam tree. Is SSR that way too?

As stated, all buildings have elevators. Given the young vegetation at SSR, you won't find ANYTHING overgrown at SSR. Some balconies do have less-desirable road views, but the vast majority point toward either DTD or the pond inside the middle of the resort.

Also at SSR if you wish to hop a bus you can catch a ride to the Main areas, of check in, food and main pool. Just go to the bus stop nearest your room.

We love SSR, it is lovely and the quietest resort we have ever stayed at. We have had a first floor room each time, the resort was sold out and we never knew we had any neighbors.

As TJ said some of the 2 bedroom units have an indirect view of Downtown Disney due to being on the inside of the U instead of the ends or the lower section of the U.

Even then if you are on your patio or balcony by looking right or left you can see the lake and Downtown Disney.

The last trip we drove over to the Paddock and I know many have said this would be their least favorite area, I really liked it. For one it's the first bus stop coming in from the parks. Also the quiet pool has a really nice location overlooking one of the man made lagoons. Upper rooms here would have a view of the DD fireworks.

If they are still offering the special Celebration iced brownies be sure to have one they are great.

Thanks everyone for your responses! Looks like I'll definitely be looking for a Congress Park room looking out over the quiet pool.

I leave Sunday and can not WAIT!

Sammie said:
We love SSR, it is lovely and the quietest resort we have ever stayed at. We have had a first floor room each time, the resort was sold out and we never knew we had any neighbors.

As TJ said some of the 2 bedroom units have an indirect view of Downtown Disney due to being on the inside of the U instead of the ends or the lower section of the U.

Even then if you are on your patio or balcony by looking right or left you can see the lake and Downtown Disney.

can I ask you re the first floor. our son is in a wheelchair (all day) will he be able to see anything from the first floor patio or would the vegitation be too high

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter