Saratoga Springs or Old Key West

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by 2Bnºoºt2B, Nov 2, 2018.

1. 2Bnºoºt2B

2Bnºoºt2B Fºoºz & Sami-Jºoº

Was panning on staying at PORS (Royal Guest Room) next year but with the "Give The Gift of a Magical Stay" promotion till April, am looking at Saratoga Springs or Old Key West for only about $100 more a night. Saratoga Springs dining options seems better and is only a short walk away from Disney Springs (correct?) … whereas the rooms at Old Key West are undergoing refurbishment but the resort is more spread out (?) and it looks like you would have to request a building with elevator access if a guest has mobility issues. Can't seem to find out when Saratoga last underwent refurbishment … but if given a choice between the two, which one is your favorite or one that you would recommend? Thanks …

2. hakepb

hakepb DIS Veteran

SSR will begin a refurb in late 2019 (after OKW is finished)

Unless you are really looking forward to multiple walks to DS, Or spa treatments, I’m not sure if an SSR studio is worth an upgrade. (A 1BR+ would be nicer than a hotel room)

SSR and OKW are still outside entry and have multiple bus stops.
    SSR studios have a queen bed and a pull out couch. (Nice to have a sitting surface of if just a couple)
    OKW is the only studios with (2) queen beds. At OKW you can make a medical request for ground floor or elevator, but it’s not absolutely guaranteed.

SSR does have (2) feature pools with some QS near them, OKW just has a take out window for QS. A moderate food court would have a much larger QS selection.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. FFstreetDoc

FFstreetDoc Earning My Ears

Having stayed at both this year I will point out the differences we saw.

1; Looking at both I would say SSR is more "resort like" OKW really looks like a Florida condo subdivision other than the main lobby / pool area.

2; Both are very spread out compared to the other resorts, However; If you get a room in the south end of OKW it is a long walk to the amenities / Dining options, all of which are at the far north end (3/4 mile from end to end). SSR has somewhat of a "hub" layout. The main lobby, pool and dining options are in the middle. Shorter walk from most buildings.

3; If you have any plans on Disney Springs shopping / dining, you can request the Congress Park area and have direct access by walkway. We walked from OKW to DS, it is almost 2 miles. Side bar; If you like it quiet, request Grand Stand area. Away from the hub area with a quiet pool, AND first stop on the bus route.

4; OKW is mostly renovated while SSR is waiting it's turn. If this is important, The OKW refurb is very nice, However; As mentioned, the OKW studio has 2 queen beds and a small table with 2 chairs. SSR has a single bed, couch, table and chairs.

5; Views / Quietness, both resorts are spread out along the LBV golf course and have beautiful golf course views. There are a few buildings at both resorts with water front / river views. If this is a draw research building numbers and make a room request. We have always been in buildings we requested. I will add that about 1/4th of the buildings at OKW have little or no view at all as they are backed up to Buena Vista Dr or Bonnet Creek Pkwy. We stayed in building 56 at OKW and had a river view but could hear the traffic when out front of our building.

6; Transportation; Both resorts have multiple stops within the resort. Take time to figure out the stop sequence. I could give it but it is a lot of typing lol. I am not sure if it was just bad luck or not, but we seemed to wait longer for buses at OKW than we ever have at SSR.

I hope this helps you make your decision. We are DVC owners at SSR and love it there.

5. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

I like ssr.
    I love okw. And even their studios are nice and big, and have two queens instead of one queen and one pullout.

I loveStitchnippyjon likes this.
  6. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

I know i'm exaggerating, but i swear the OKW studios are twice as big as at SSR.

Deb & Bill likes this.
  7. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

At OKW, the buses go Peninsular Road, South Point, Turtle Pond, Millers Road and Hospitality House for the theme parks. For the internal and Disney Springs bus, they go Hospitality House, Millers Road, Peninsular Road, South Point, Turtle Pond and back to Hospitality House.

At SSR, the buses go Grandstand, Paddock, Congress Park, Springs.

OKW refurbishment (that removes almost every trace of Key West from the inside of the villas -grrrr!) should be completed by mid-2019. That's when SSR will undergo refurbishment. The sleeper sofa in the SSR studio is double sized. The bed is queen sized.

8. shevys

shevys Earning My Ears

Never stayed at OKW, but we really enjoyed our stay at Saratoga Springs in the Grandstand section. We had a car, but when we opted to use the busses, we found the service excellent. First on, first off, and highly recommended.

9. Deb & Bill

390 vs 355. I think it comes down to the layout. No entry area at OKW and SSR has a small entry area going into the room. OKW has all the bathroom inside the bathroom, tub/shower, toilet and sink/counter. SSR has the sink/counter outside the tub/shower/toilet room. More hallway in SSR than OKW. In other words, less wasted space at OKW.

10. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Yeah, that's what it is!

11. DizzyStitch

DizzyStitch Mouseketeer

We tend to stay for almost two weeks at a time and I found the kitchen area of the OKW studio to have virtually no storage. While the room was bigger we ended up being messier because of the lack of storage for our food stuff. I cannot wait to get back to SSR in May! Plus while one person is showering another can be brushing their teeth or doing their hair, unlike the situation at OKW. And yet we had the perfect room at OKW right across the street from the Hospitality House. Tons of Pool time that way.

12. Deb & Bill

Yikes, two weeks in any studio would drive me crazy. Glad you enjoy them. And we only stay in OKW studios, no other studios because we each get a real bed. But our studio stays only last a few nights at most. For two weeks, I'd prefer a one bedroom at least.

13. SharonZ

SharonZ DIS Veteran

I wouldn't upgrade at $100 per night more. How many people are in your party?

14. 2Bnºoºt2B

2Bnºoºt2B Fºoºz & Sami-Jºoº

Thanks everyone for the input. There will be three people in our party. We've stayed at PORS on our last three trips and was looking for a different experience. But for a three night stay, not sure if it would be worth it upgrading … love the idea of a jacuzzi tub though …

15. Deb & Bill

The jetted tubs are not in studios, only one bedroom or larger villas.