Sanaa or Epcot?

PrincessWithABlaster

DIS Veteran
We have a resort day planned where we’ll be spending most of the day in the pool at AoA and then hitting Epcot for dinner at Via Napoli and a couple rides. The thing is, I love the idea of Sanaa. I really want to go there sometime. The menu looks awesome and there are kids options my kids would eat. But it has always seemed too out of the way to try to do on our AK day (we only have one day planned and don’t want to lose the transportation time). I looked and there are times available on our resort day if we don’t do Epcot. I also some day want to stay at AKL but since the family park priorities are MK and Ep, it also seems too out of the way right now too so there won’t be a near term plan to stay at AKL which would make Sanaa easier to do. I thought I read that there is a tour of the savanna and places where you can watch the animals so maybe we could go to AKL to hang out instead of Epcot.

What would you do? Sanaa and poking around AKL or Via Napoli and Epcot? Kids are 5, 7, 9.

We have a resort day planned where we’ll be spending most of the day in the pool at AoA and then hitting Epcot for dinner at Via Napoli and a couple rides. The thing is, I love the idea of Sanaa. I really want to go there sometime. The menu looks awesome and there are kids options my kids would eat. But it has always seemed too out of the way to try to do on our AK day (we only have one day planned and don’t want to lose the transportation time). I looked and there are times available on our resort day if we don’t do Epcot. I also some day want to stay at AKL but since the family park priorities are MK and Ep, it also seems too out of the way right now too so there won’t be a near term plan to stay at AKL which would make Sanaa easier to do. I thought I read that there is a tour of the savanna and places where you can watch the animals so maybe we could go to AKL to hang out instead of Epcot.

What would you do? Sanaa and poking around AKL or Via Napoli and Epcot? Kids are 5, 7, 9.
I wouldn't have any problem staying at AKL when MK & Epcot are park priorities. A bus to either park from AKL takes no longer than a bus from AOA. We stayed there this past April, and transportation was efficient.

Aside from that, I wouldn't give up ride time at Epcot to go to Sanaa. I like Sanaa, but it's just a restaurant.

Last edited:
That's a hard one. We really loved Sanaa and loved checking out the lodge and the Savannah.

We put it in around lunch time and took our time, then Epcot for dinner that night. I guess it depends how much time you have at Epcot outside of that day.

That's a hard one. We really loved Sanaa and loved checking out the lodge and the Savannah.

We put it in around lunch time and took our time, then Epcot for dinner that night. I guess it depends how much time you have at Epcot outside of that day.

We have 1 full day at Epcot and this would be a couple hours in the evening in addition.

If those are the only choices, I would do Via Napoli and EP over Sanaa. There is no tour of the savanna unless you book the Wanyama safari and dinner at Jiko (which is only available to guests 10 and older). There is a public savannah viewing area if you walk to the back of the lobby at Jambo, but if you are going to AK and doing the safari or any of the trails, you will basically see the same thing. If you want to eat at Sanaa AND go to EP, that's always a possibility. If you could get a late lunch time or the earliest dinner, you could possibly make it work. Otherwise I would just stick to EP and save Sanaa for another time.

Why don't you do both? Do an early lunch at Sanna (like 11) then head to the resort and out to Epcot for the evening and a later dinner at Via Napoli. We love both Sanaa and Via Napoli so I'd definitely try and get them both in if you can. Plus you'll have some time to check out the amazing AKL.

With only a couple of hours I would visit Sanaa and check out AKL

Not sure when you're going but if it's winter, eating dinner at AKL to see animals is not worth it as it'll be dark by dinnertime. There won't be much to see at AKL. Sanaa is pretty, and some window tables can see the animals but only if it's daytime.

We like Sanaa but you can get just as good - if not better - Indian food in most cities. It's tasty, but not unique.

If the only two restaurant alternatives are Via Napoli or Sanaa, then I would choose Sanaa. Having been to both of these, the food at Via Napoli didn't seem like anything special to me. At Sanaa the bread service is great. Some of the entrees may be more on the spicy side than I prefer, but for what it is, I think Sanaa is a better restaurant. If spicy food doesn't bother you, then go for it.

Sanaa is at Kidani Village - not the Lodge - so if you go - be sure to take a look around BOTH lobbies and savannas. They are different. As someone else said - depending on the time of year you go - if it's going to be dark by the time you get to dinner - I would not do this. Seeing out of the savannas is a great reason to visit AKL/AKV - but not when it's dark. You could go to Sanaa - and just take the bus over to Epcot and hence - do both.

Not sure when you're going but if it's winter, eating dinner at AKL to see animals is not worth it as it'll be dark by dinnertime. There won't be much to see at AKL. Sanaa is pretty, and some window tables can see the animals but only if it's daytime.

We like Sanaa but you can get just as good - if not better - Indian food in most cities. It's tasty, but not unique.

We’re going in May so we’ll have some time before it gets dark. But good to know it’s not really unique. As much as I really want to go, I don’t want to make our laid back pool day more scheduled with a lunch ADR so I guess I’m leaning toward keeping the Epcot plans.

Both are good options. I think it really comes down to whether you want to be at EPCOT and see Illuminations that night. If so, then pick somewhere in EPCOT, or the Boardwalk area. Many great dining options. If you don't care about that,then I would go early to AKL and explore the lobby, the grounds and the Savanna. It is amazing! Then eat at Jiko or Sanaa. And enjoy a quiet, relaxing evening. Do't miss the lounge at Jambo House.

Have you already bought your park tickets? It seems like you would be losing/wasting a day by going to Sanaa instead of Epcot.

In any case, we stay at AKL regularly b/c it's our DVC home resort and Sanaa is a very nice restaurant. However, I would probably not give up an evening in the parks just to dine there. Dinner and strolling around the world showcase in the evening along with some FP+ attractions would be my pick for how to spend that evening.

The travel time from AK to AKL Kidani is about 5 minutes once you board a bus. It is easy to go to Sanaa on an AK day.
At any rate I would definitely keep your Epcot plans.

Have you already bought your park tickets? It seems like you would be losing/wasting a day by going to Sanaa instead of Epcot.

We don’t have park tickets yet so it’s open either way.

The travel time from AK to AKL Kidani is about 5 minutes once you board a bus. It is easy to go to Sanaa on an AK day.
At any rate I would definitely keep your Epcot plans.

Yes, but there is time waiting for the bus there and back. We’re only planning 1 day at AK so I don’t want to lose the time. I guess we could go to AK and Sanaa that night.

Here's what I would do....
Change the "full" day at EP to a shorter day. Get the whole Future World area done in the morning (with 3 FPs and a rope drop of TT or Soarin). Go back to the reosrt for the afternoon, then head to Sanaa for dinner and explore lodge and Savannah. Then on the other night, go back to EP (with 3 new FPs available) to hit FEA, walk the countries and watch Illuminations.

I totally get why you have avoided staying at AKL when your focus is on MK and Epcot because we have done the same thing.We prefer to stay close, either the Boardwalk area or Bay Lake/Contemporary if if fits the budget. The extra expense of a deluxe makes for a shorter vacation but one where we are not sitting on or waiting for a bus a good amount of time. It works for us.

We waited to try Sanaa until a couple weeks ago during my son's graduation trip where we weren't visiting any parks at all and were staying at Kidani Village. We loved it!! Is it worth going out of the way? No, but there is no place on property that is really worth that with the except of maybe V&A's and Cali Grill. Maybe. However, there is enough to do at AKL to keep you entertainment besides dinner. It is a destination unto itself.

Do you have APs? If not, I'd lean towards Sanaa and avoid paying for a whole Epcot park day for a few hours With an AP, I'd probably do an evening at Epcot. We love to do that, have a resort day and then eat around the World in the evening.

I love Sanaa, but it is not worth a no-park day, unless you are driving. You will spend more time traveling to and from, than you will enjoying the resort. Both Jambo House and Kidani Village have great savannah viewing areas.

Best time to go, in my opinion, is during a DAK day. Get early reservations, so maximize the chance of getting a window view table & seeing the animals during dinner before it gets dark. After dinner, if its dark, you can go over to one of the savannah viewing areas & ask a CM for night vision goggles.

I

you can go over to one of the savannah viewing areas & ask a CM for night vision goggles.

Can non-guests do this? I thought the NVG viewing was only for people staying at AKL. That might make it worth the transportation hassle. We want to see ROL this year so I don’t see doing it during our AK day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!