San Francisco Help

Discussion in 'California & the West' started by BadPinkTink, Nov 20, 2017.

1. crewsn

crewsn Mouseketeer

I know this thread is a month or so past, but hopefully still checking in on. We visit San Francisco quite a bit. My husbands family lives there so we go visit them a lot and plus he travels some their for work so we have stayed at various locations around the city.

Honestly one of the best locations I felt we stayed in was at Parc 55 (a Hilton Hotel). It was right by Union Square, but located right by Powell and Market street to give plenty of transport options. You could take the cable car down to the Fishermans Wharf. Easily walk to Union Square. We actually one night walked to the Embarcadero and Ferry building one night then walked over to AT&T park on a whim to catch the baseball game. It is very close to the tenderloin area and a lot of panhandlers and homeless individuals around, but I never felt unsafe ever. I feel you see this throughout the city anyways. When we stayed in this spot my husband was there for work so I took my two young kids out in the stroller all day to various spots.

We once stayed in the Embarcadero area when he was there for work too and I would avoid that if going as a tourist. Most everything around seems to shut down not long after work hours so it was pretty dead at night. We had to head out further to find places to eat that were open and things to do. We love the area and there is never enough time to do all we want to do each trip. If trying to see a lot in a short time one of those hop on hop off buses is great. We did that once when we brought a friend with us who had never been. Its a great way to get to go over the golden gate bridge and get pictures from the other side too then hit all the main areas faster.

We actually have plans to head out there again this summer then drive down to ventura (my brother and sister in law are moving out there) then hopefully getting in a trip to Disneyland. It will be a 2 week adventure visiting family.

2. BadPinkTink

BadPinkTink DIS Veteran

hi @crewsn thanks for the information. In the next few weeks I will be finialising my San Francisco plans, so will be revisiting this thread again. :)

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. BadPinkTink

BadPinkTink DIS Veteran

@bcla @SteveMP @crewsn

been doing lots of research. For San Francisco I am on a really tight budget as its just a side trip, not my main trip. Most likely I will be staying just 2 nights, which will give me 1 full day in San Francisco.

thank you all so much for your tips and knowledge about the different areas, its been really helpful

I havent booked the hotel yet, but I just want to get your opinion
    I found this hotel http://www.fitzgeraldhotel.com/ its at Post St and Taylor Street. Im just looking for peoples opinions of the street and general area. Bus routes 2 and 3 stops are nearby

At this stage, Im planning on a solo trip but it is possible that a friend will join me but its too far out for her to know her schedule.

5. bcla

bcla DIS Veteran

Again - that's right next to the Tenderloin neighborhood. The JW Marriott is on the next block though. It is near my favorite Indo-Pak restaurant - Shalimar on Jones St. You're also within easy walking distance of the Powell St cable car turnaround.

[​IMG]

Also - there's now a surcharge on BART to use blue "paper" tickets of 50 cents per one way ride. If you're taking BART from San Francisco airport, you might consider this and pay the $3 for a Clipper card at the airport information desk. They're no longer paper (some sort of thin plastic card) but they used to be made of paper. The idea of the surcharge is to encourage people to use Clipper. Before this surcharge there wasn't much of an incentive to use Clipper on BART save some special "high value" discounts and/or where there were interagency transfer discounts automatically calculated on Clipper.

https://www.bart.gov/tickets

*2018 CHANGES: Starting January 1, 2018, BART fares will increase by an inflation-based average 2.7%. There also will be a 50 cent surcharge per trip for Blue tickets. The surcharge will be prorated for discount paper ticket users so that seniors and people with disabilities pay a 19 cent surcharge and youth pay a 25 cent surcharge. Riders are encouraged to get a Clipper Card (www.clippercard.com) to avoid the surcharge.​

6. BadPinkTink

BadPinkTink DIS Veteran

just want to say thank you so much @bcla you have been a great help

I have just booked my trip
    I booked Travel Lodge near Fishermans Wharf, it has 2 double beds, breakfast included and available parking. I booked it with a free cancellation rate so if something better comes along then its easy to change.

I looked really hard at what I wanted to achieve with this trip, the main place I want to see is Fishermans Wharf, Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz. I am going onwards to Disney and LA so I will have plenty of opportunities for general shopping. There is a possibility of a friend joining me and she will have a car, so the extra bed and available parking ( extra charge though) were other things I had to think about.

So in the end I cut the amount of time in San Francisco to stay somewhere more central.

I have the evening of my arrival day, 1 full day and the morning of my departure day. I have booked a Southwest flight from SFO to LAX and will be going over to Anaheim for 3 park days.

I did look at Southwest from SFO to John Wayne but the getaway now prices were gone for the afternoon flights.

7. oakleycat

oakleycat Mouseketeer

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, which is right by the Travel Lodge, and it's a great location for everything you want to see. For Alcatraz, remember to book tickets right when they come available (I think 3 months out) if you want the more popular times, especially the night tour. Have a great trip!

BadPinkTink likes this.