San Diego Zoo vs. Wild Animal Park

LoveMyLAP-BAND

Banded 2/18/05
Hi,

Just booked our Disneyland trip for Thanksgving week 2012. Thinking about going to San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park. When I visited the Zoo about 20 years ago, I was not impressed. It was great for the animals, but not for the people. I hardly saw any animals. Have things changed? Is the Safari Park better to see animals? Is it even worth it?

Hi there!

As you hinted in your post, the Wild Animal Park has changed its name to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, so if you're Googling for reviews, etc., try the new name.

I wasn't there for your trip 20 years ago, but I can say that certainly a lot has changed at the zoo in just the last few years, with millions and millions of dollars going into new, interactive exhibits. When you go during the hot months of summer, the animals tend to sleep during mid-afternoon, but you say you'll be going around Thanksgiving, so the temperatures will be better. There is a guided bus tour included with the general admission ticket as well as use of the Express Bus so that you don't have to walk quite so much. The Skyfari Tram is also included with a general admission ticket. They did JUST open (as in, last month) a 4D movie theater, but that costs a couple of dollars extra.

The Safari Park is a really cool park as well, but it doesn't have as much variety as the zoo. The Safari Park focuses on African and Asian animals, whereas the zoo has animals from all over the world. The main animals that are only at the zoo include the pandas, polar bears, orangutans, koalas, grizzly bears, kangaroos, sea lions (in the show), and many many more. I typically recommend that if you only have one day, do the zoo, but if you have two days, do both parks. Both parks are a lot of walking, so you can't really compare the two, plus at least the zoo has the transportation methods I mentioned above whereas the Safari Park just has the tram. Parking at the zoo is free while it is $10 per vehicle at the Safari Park.

Again, both are awesome parks, but if you only have one day, the "original", the zoo, is my recommendation.

Yeah, all I remember is walking, walking and walking. And a koala bear in a tree very far away.

So, that is one vote for the Zoo.

Let's see if anyone else has an opinion. THANKS!

Oh yeah, much has changed then since your last trip. You can get within 5 feet of the koalas now. Still a lot of walking but the bus tour and shuttles help.

If you like zoos, and want to see the best one in the country, visit the San Diego Zoo. If you would prefer an Animal Kingdom like expereince over a zoo, go to the Safari Park.

I had a great time at the zoo, but have not been to the Safari Park - going in September instead of the zoo. DH has been to both and said they are both great. I'm sure whichever one you choose you will enjoy! :goodvibes

wild animal park is easily the best. you can setup a trip for early morning feeding time where you ride in the back of a truck and they feed the lions and tigers, etc. its pretty amazing. i think its the only way you will see a cheetah.

wild animal park is easily the best. you can setup a trip for early morning feeding time where you ride in the back of a truck and they feed the lions and tigers, etc. its pretty amazing. i think its the only way you will see a cheetah.

Those feeding tours at the Safari Park on the trucks are premium products (starting at $137 per person). Yes they are awesome, but I don't want the OP to think they are included with admission. The zoo does have cheetahs as part of the Backstage Pass program and they are on exhibit in Urban Jungle in the Animal Ambassador Area.

I had a great time at the zoo, but have not been to the Safari Park - going in September instead of the zoo. DH has been to both and said they are both great. I'm sure whichever one you choose you will enjoy! :goodvibes

That great you are going to see the other park. They are both quite enjoyable.

I vote for the Zoo. We were there in June 2009 and there were lots of animals to see. Enough to keep a 5 and 6 year old occupied for the entire day.

I am so so so sorry to thread hijack. My family is also struggling with this question; but, we have mobility considerations. We have someone with limited mobility where we will have to rent an electric wheelchair. Also, we have two little ones (5 & 3) where we will have a double-wide stroller. Both have electric wheelchairs to rent (on a limited basis). But, the Safari Park seemed to infer that the paths are only so wide and these might hinder foot traffic. Between the two, is one more wheelchair/stroller friendly?

Also, someone said it's easy to find coupons for discounted parking. I have not been able to find one on the Internet. Does anyone know of any websites or URLs where I can snag one? Thank you!

P.S. Again, apologies to the original poster. I will report back on whichever park we visit to possibly help with your decision.

Both are awesome to visit.

Both have hills. Big hills. The zoo has (at least when we went) automatic walking paths in some area. The wildlife area had nothing.

Don't know if they do this still, but we were able to purchase membership with the zoo. The membership cost as much as visiting the zoo twice, and included the animal park plus a bunch of other perks, like free parking and guest passes. We went to both twice (over 2 weekend trips) and it was well worth it.

I am so so so sorry to thread hijack. My family is also struggling with this question; but, we have mobility considerations. We have someone with limited mobility where we will have to rent an electric wheelchair. Also, we have two little ones (5 & 3) where we will have a double-wide stroller. Both have electric wheelchairs to rent (on a limited basis). But, the Safari Park seemed to infer that the paths are only so wide and these might hinder foot traffic. Between the two, is one more wheelchair/stroller friendly?

Also, someone said it's easy to find coupons for discounted parking. I have not been able to find one on the Internet. Does anyone know of any websites or URLs where I can snag one? Thank you!

P.S. Again, apologies to the original poster. I will report back on whichever park we visit to possibly help with your decision.

Both have a LOT of hills and distance to cover. I won't sugarcoat that. What I will say, though, is that the zoo makes is a bit easier. You'll be fine for most places, and so long as you can transfer long enough to step on to the guided bus tour, there will be no issues there. There are a few hills that are pretty steep and for those, just find ANY employee and they can call the handicap shuttle for you to pick you up wherever you are and take you somewhere else. You may have to wait 10 minutes or so at most to get the shuttle, but at least you won't have to go up the hills.

Parking is free at the zoo. It's $10 at the park but unfortunately I'm not aware of anywhere offering coupons for discounted parking there right now.

Both are awesome to visit.

Both have hills. Big hills. The zoo has (at least when we went) automatic walking paths in some area. The wildlife area had nothing.

Don't know if they do this still, but we were able to purchase membership with the zoo. The membership cost as much as visiting the zoo twice, and included the animal park plus a bunch of other perks, like free parking and guest passes. We went to both twice (over 2 weekend trips) and it was well worth it.

As of 2012, zoo membership no longer includes guest passes for new members.

I hate to hijack but I wonder the same thing and don't want to start a new thread.

When we plan to go I will have a 9 year old animal lover, an 11 year old that likes stuff like this and a 14 year old that probably could care less. Would you suggest the zoo? Is it worth the cost?

For reference we have been to the National Zoo in DC, busch gardens, sea world orlando and the dallas zoo. For the most part the kids liked that stuff. Though the going to be 14 year old was not at all impressed with Sea World and doesn't really care one way or the other about animals. I don't even remember if he would pet the sting rays (though the girls loved it).

I hate to hijack but I wonder the same thing and don't want to start a new thread.

When we plan to go I will have a 9 year old animal lover, an 11 year old that likes stuff like this and a 14 year old that probably could care less. Would you suggest the zoo? Is it worth the cost?

For reference we have been to the National Zoo in DC, busch gardens, sea world orlando and the dallas zoo. For the most part the kids liked that stuff. Though the going to be 14 year old was not at all impressed with Sea World and doesn't really care one way or the other about animals. I don't even remember if he would pet the sting rays (though the girls loved it).

Well it kind of sounds like the 14 yo will be hard to please no matter where you take him, so I'd say if two out of your three would love it, then go for it ;) The zoo costs nearly half of Sea World, and for the massive quantity and variety of animals at the zoo, I feel it's good bang for the buck.

We love both the zoo and the wild animal park...but we love to walk and we LOVE animals so they are both good fits for us. We had wonderful views of the animals at both parks. I never felt like I didn't see enough. We got to see baby elephants and cheetahs at the Wild animal park a few years back, it was wonderful!

If you want to walk a little less I would suggest the zoo. And for the question about mobility, I would lean toward the zoo too.

Look for coupons on visitcalifornia.com (they have a coupon section that you can click on) we got one for parking at the wild animal park once.

Both places are good for visiting.When we want to walk in that area, San Diego Zoo is quiet suitable for that. Who animal lovers are there, they definitely visit both places. Most of the people are interested to watch the animal kids. While feeding the food for animals, that situation is very nice and children are trying to feed the food for animals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter