San Diego Zoo questions

Charade67

DIS Veteran
I have wanted to visit this zoo ever since I first saw Joan Embry on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. (Yeah, I’m old) My family and I will finally get a chance to visit in 2019. (I’m an early planner) Right now I have 2 main questions:
1. Can all of the zoo be seen in 1 day?
2. What is the weather like in June?

I’m also open to any other tips or advice.

You can see the whole zoo in one day. They may have extended hours when you visit with different activities at night. There are several weeks during the summer that they do that.

Weather is mild in June. The whole city can be overcast, locally referred to June Gloom, but the temps will be in the low 70's.

My zoo suggestions are:
Take the bus tour right away. That shows you a large portion of the zoo and will tell you what you need to walk to.
Be prepared for walking up and down hills - the zoo is in a canyon.
Eat a sit down meal at Albert's. It's the only place that serves food that I wouldn't consider grab and go or fast food.
Book one of the behind the scenes tours before you get there. You will get up close to exotic animals and possibly be able to feed or pet an animal.

I agree that one day will be plenty, especially if you get there at opening.
My personal plan is visiting the pandas first because they can get Disneyland-sized lines later, then doing the bus tour so I know what I wan to go back to.

June is usually great weather for anyone.

PHXscuba

One day is enough if you get their early. Lines for the Pandas and bus tour can get long by midday.
There are lots of somewhat steep up and down hills. If you plan your route properly you won't have to walk uphill much. There are moving sidewalks, trams, and skyride that will bypass having to walk uphill.

If you have 2 days then spend 1 at the zoo and 1 at the safari park which is excellent as well and owned by the zoo.

To avoid hills - Take the aerial tram to the top and work your way down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!