San Diego Zoo - How Long?

RIFamily

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know how long it takes to tour the zoo? We will be going with three teenagers who are not really that fond of going to a zoo but I really want them to experience it. I think we would just hit the highlights ... any thoughts on how long this would take? I was thinking we could spend 3-4 hours there and then head over to Sea World for the remainder of the day. :confused3

RIFamily said:
Does anyone know how long it takes to tour the zoo? We will be going with three teenagers who are not really that fond of going to a zoo but I really want them to experience it. I think we would just hit the highlights ... any thoughts on how long this would take? I was thinking we could spend 3-4 hours there and then head over to Sea World for the remainder of the day. :confused3

I live in San Diego and recently went to the zoo. I honestly don't think you will be able to do the zoo and sea world the day. Since Sea World has shows you will miss 1/2 of them by not getting their when the park opens. The zoo has a lot of walking, when I went we were there from 9AM to 1PM, and maybe saw 1/2. There are bus tours you can take at an extra cost but they don't allow you to see the animals as if you were on foot. If you have to pick one over the other I would do Sea World (they are really busy on the weekends, I'd go during the week if you have that option). I hope this helps!

What MeganJean said above. The zoo is an all day affair if you want to see everything. If you tour by foot, you will not want to go anywhere after - it's a long walk with lots of hills.

I agree with OP. Do Sea World. My DD6 likes it better than the zoo (so do I) When we want to see animals (non-ocean) we go the Wild Animal Park. We like it alot more than the zoo.

We just went to SW last week (Monday) and it was great! Low crowds, saw every show we wanted even though we didn't get there until 1 p.m. We saw the last Shamu show which isn't as much as a show as normally-they're getting ready to premiere the new Believe show.

Have a great time!

I am just having a hard time trying to justify driving down there two times during our stay. We are staying for 10 days in Anaheim and I heard the ride can be bad. I guess in a worse case scenario we could stay over night somewhere in San Diego (and still keep our room in Anaheim). It is worth that to try to do both? :confused3

If you really want to see the animals and they don't need to be sea animals - go to the Wild Animal Park (a branch of the Zoo) - my kids were 11 & 13 when we went last year and loved it. Much more unique. Ride a safari, see polar bears close, feed a giraffe,etc. The zoo is also very nice, but if I had to pick 1 again I would do Wild Animal Park. One nice thing is it is on the north side of the city - so saves you some miles. Didn't try seaworld when we were there, had done it many times in Florida and only had 4 days in San Diego. To do both, stay one night on the North side of San Diego would be my advice

i used to live in san diego, so i'll throw in my own 0.02 here:

honestly, it depends on what kinds of animals your kids like.. if they wanna see ocean-type animals, go to sea world. (if you go here, i'd also suggest making a swing by fiesta island too. it's an island right across from sea world that's really cool to just chill and have a big bonfire) they also have penguins, which i love.

if you wanna see basic animals in a general zoo, go to the zoo. the wild animal park is *really* big...

i'd say to go sea world. you'll probally have more fun. and so will your kids..

I really appreciate the input (especially from the "locals" ... lol). I guess what I was trying to accomplish is seeing a touch of both. We were going to go to the zoo when it opens and hit some highlights. Then leave around noon or 1:00 and head over the Sea World. Sea World is open until 11:00 at night when we go. We wanted to hit the highlights and experience both parks without worrying about seeing everything. Does that make sense? How far apart ar the Zoo & Sea World?

Thanks so much! :Pinkbounc

Do they have bikes to rent at the zoo?

Also does anyone know how much parking costs at Sea World?

Thanks

Disneyluvr said:
Do they have bikes to rent at the zoo?

Also does anyone know how much parking costs at Sea World?

Thanks
Sorry, no bikes at the zoo. Don't know about the rest of you that have been to the zoo but bike rentals would be the last thing I would want to see. I couldn't imagine the liability issues involved.

$8 for car, $10 for camper,

depending on when you go. i would go to the zoo in the afternoon. we have a lot of new stuff coming out for nightime zoo. of course i am slightly biased against sea world since i work at the zoo. so yeah you should go to the zoo cus it's awesome and has some great history behind it.

also if you plan it correctly you could go downhill all the way and take the escalators up from the canyons

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter