San Diego Transportation Questions

Love2Cruise2015

DIS Veteran
My family and I are sailing with DCL March 2019 (our 5th cruise) and will be sailing from San Diego for the first time and we have booked DCL transportation from the air port to port and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how DCL transportation works in San Diego as we are used to sailing from Port Canaveral

My family and I are sailing with DCL March 2019 (our 5th cruise) and will be sailing from San Diego for the first time and we have booked DCL transportation from the air port to port and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how DCL transportation works in San Diego as we are used to sailing from Port Canaveral

There will be a Disney greeter at the airport near baggage claim. Check in with them and they will put you on a plain bus to the port. No pretty DCL buses in San Diego!

I can not speak on Disney transportation but the port and airport are less than 2 miles away on the same road. Depending on what Disney is charging, may be way cheaper to take a cab or local shuttle.
Thank you, I will look into that :)

I can not speak on Disney transportation but the port and airport are less than 2 miles away on the same road. Depending on what Disney is charging, may be way cheaper to take a cab or local shuttle.

I agree. The airport and port are not far from one another in San Diego. I would just grab a cab or Uber/Lyft. Even if it's not much of a cost savings, I wouldn't want to wait around for a DCL bus to depart when it's so easy to jump in a cab and go.

I just got off in San Diego a few weeks ago....the Disney buses were off to one side and loading up. We were staying in San Diego and needed a cab. The taxi line was utter chaos and took like 30 minutes standing in full sun to get a cab. There were shuttle vans taking people to the airport that were getting in and out of the port pretty quickly so I suppose that’s an alternative. Personally, I’d stick with Disney.

I just got off in San Diego a few weeks ago....the Disney buses were off to one side and loading up. We were staying in San Diego and needed a cab. The taxi line was utter chaos and took like 30 minutes standing in full sun to get a cab. There were shuttle vans taking people to the airport that were getting in and out of the port pretty quickly so I suppose that’s an alternative. Personally, I’d stick with Disney.

Yes, there may be more advantage to taking DCL transfers from the port to the airport due to chaos on debarkation, but for airport to port, which is what the OP was asking about, I don't see any advantage to using DCL transfers.

Disney charges less in San Diego vs. Port Canaveral. When we just came back from PC it was $18 pp port to airport. A cab might have been more economical but the bus won out for convenience sake.

We have sailed Disney out of San Diego 6 times.Disney transport is more expensive however, dropping our bags off at the airport literally only feet from baggage claim was easier,simpler and faster than checking them in at the port. For us it was worth the time and effort we saved.

We just got off the 2 nighter on Sunday. Used Lyft and paid $7.44 to get to the airport. No idea what Disney charges but I'm pretty sure it's more than $8.

DCL charges $18 per person each way, so a little more than $6 per mile. Definitely not the best deal. My family of 3 took a cab for $10 including tip to the port.

Disney charges less in San Diego vs. Port Canaveral. When we just came back from PC it was $18 pp port to airport. A cab might have been more economical but the bus won out for convenience sake.

But the price per mile is far greater in San Diego (about $6 per person) compared to Port Canaveral (about $0.78 per person).

I live in SD. Airport is less than 2 miles from port, and its a straight shot, no turns. Just one long block. I'd take a cab or an uber.

If you really want to do it on the cheap, the 992 City Bus runs every 15 minutes from the airport and stops right in front of the cruise terminal. $2.25 one way for adults, $1.10 for seniors over 60. They have a couple of luggage racks, but they can fill quickly. The same bus also heads downtown and to the trolley and rail station depots, if you have time to sightsee.

We have found a hotel that offers free transport to port!!!! So we have chosen to use DCL transfer from the port to airport as we figure it will be more hectic trying to leave.....

Thank you all for your advice :)

We have found a hotel that offers free transport to port!!!! So we have chosen to use DCL transfer from the port to airport as we figure it will be more hectic trying to leave.....
:)
Thank you all for your advice

Which hotel? We're sailing out of SD in May and looking for hotel/transportation info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter