San Diego Port to Airport Transportation

Erica1016

Mouseketeer
We'll be sailing out of San Diego on the Wonder in May. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get from the port to the airport. I know it's a short distance - everything I seem to find tells me how to get TO the cruise from the airport, but I'm not sure about the other way around.

I'm not very familiar with Uber/Lyft, but that seems like a good option. It's unclear to me if they're allowed to pick up at the cruise ship terminal?

What are your recommendations for getting to the airport?

We'll be sailing out of San Diego on the Wonder in May. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get from the port to the airport. I know it's a short distance - everything I seem to find tells me how to get TO the cruise from the airport, but I'm not sure about the other way around.

I'm not very familiar with Uber/Lyft, but that seems like a good option. It's unclear to me if they're allowed to pick up at the cruise ship terminal?

What are your recommendations for getting to the airport?

We just got back from The Panama Canal cruise that ended in San Diego on Sunday.
This is the first port we have ever finished up in that had a long line of people waiting for Taxi's with zero taxi's there waiting like in other ports we have been too.
We waited about 5 minutes and then my husband called for an Uber, the man was there in less than 5 minutes. 3 Taxi's came by that time.
We didn't go to the airport, we went to a hotel.
But I will tell you our hotel was a 10-15 minute drive to the airport yesterday, and we were right next to the port.
There was a taxi at the hotel at 4:30am to take us to the airport, and like I said it was quick. We had plenty of time once we got to the gate.
The Taxi to airport was $12. The uber to the hotel was $5. Everything is very close.
What time is your flight?

Lorimay What time did your ship actually dock? Was it earlier than posted time? Do you know what time self walk offs were allowed off? Trying to gauge when to book return flight?

Just got back yesterday from San Diego cruise. We did not have the kids car seats so we used the public bus to get to airport instead of uber. When you leave the port go to the right and cross the street and there is a bus stop for the 992 bus (there’s lots of port employees who can direct you exactly where to go). It just goes port straight to airport and back. Bus comes every 10-15 minutes and they have a number to text to tell you exact time next bus will arrive. Fare is $2.25 per person, age 5 and under were free and you do need exact change. Super quick and easy.

We did the Panama Canal last year and I scheduled a pickup from Super Shuttle to the airport. The previous trip we contacted our hotel and they sent the hotel shuttle for us.

Lorimay What time did your ship actually dock? Was it earlier than posted time? Do you know what time self walk offs were allowed off? Trying to gauge when to book return flight?

Not the one you asked, but yesterday self walk offs were called a few minutes after 8am. We were early seating and had 7:15am breakfast and didn’t get off ship until about 9am. Our flight was at 12:05 and even though we made it in plenty of time, I would’ve been stressed if we had pushed it any closer.

Take a taxi very cheap and lots of them waiting. They even have taxis where you share with other people a van. Very very cheap. Forgot the price it’s been a few years.

We did walk-off it was between 8;15-8:30am

We were also on the recent WBPC cruise that arrived in San Diego last Sunday. We took a taxi from the port to the car rental center that serves the airport, picking up a car to head to Disneyland. We used a taxi since our luggage made a regular Uber or Lyft too cramped and estimated cost for a larger ride share vehicle was about the same as estimated taxi fare. Taxi fare was $10 plus tip. There was a steady stream of taxis picking up passengers at the port.

We just got back from The Panama Canal cruise that ended in San Diego on Sunday.
This is the first port we have ever finished up in that had a long line of people waiting for Taxi's with zero taxi's there waiting like in other ports we have been too.
We waited about 5 minutes and then my husband called for an Uber, the man was there in less than 5 minutes. 3 Taxi's came by that time.
We didn't go to the airport, we went to a hotel.
But I will tell you our hotel was a 10-15 minute drive to the airport yesterday, and we were right next to the port.
There was a taxi at the hotel at 4:30am to take us to the airport, and like I said it was quick. We had plenty of time once we got to the gate.
The Taxi to airport was $12. The uber to the hotel was $5. Everything is very close.
What time is your flight?

You had the anomaly of the marathon going down Harbor Drive when you disembarked, which kept the normal line of cabs from being there.

You had the anomaly of the marathon going down Harbor Drive when you disembarked, which kept the normal line of cabs from being there.

Yes, it was probably the marathon that held them up, we didn't even think of that when we debarked. But we were watching them from our balcony early in the morning.
The port worker was apologizing that there were no taxi's.
The Hop on/Hop off was skipping one or two stops until 11am because of it too.

Thank you everyone for all the info. Our flight is at 10:30 am following a two-night cruise. We have TSA Pre & no checked luggage, so unless there's a delay clearing the ship, I think we'll be ok. We're trying to figure out if we can make it to Mass at one of the nearby churches then our flight but it will be a game-day decision.

Why would someone want to walk a couple of blocks with luggage when they get off a cruise? Taxis are waiting right at the port and cheap.

Isn't there a mob scene outside of the terminal when the people are exiting the ship? If there is no crowds then sure I would request Lyft right at the cruise terminal. I had way too many bad experiences with taxis to use one.

Isn't there a mob scene outside of the terminal when the people are exiting the ship? If there is no crowds then sure I would request Lyft right at the cruise terminal. I had way too many bad experiences with taxis to use one.

Nope maybe took 5 minutes

I'll be needing transportation from the San Diego port to the car rental center just behind the airport as well. This is a ridicules question but Google isn't clear cut - can we install our own car seats in a Lyft, Uber or Taxi? I don't use any of these enough to know the answer. I found that Lyft offers car seats in some areas, but not San Diego. But we will have two car seats with us anyway, for the rental car usage after the cruise.

We walked to a hotel across the street before calling the Uber, there was a huge mass of people, and it was just easier for us to walk 1 block and get away from everyone. Cheap Uber, less than 5 minute ride to airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter