San Diego planning questions

ExcitedMama

DIS Veteran
My husband has to be in SD a few times this year for work. We just got back and we have to go back again soon. The traffic was awful driving through LA early on a Monday. We live in northern CA so we were taking 5. His next trip requires leaving SD on a Friday afternoon. I'm worried traffic will be even worse, will it? DH thinks we should just go when we can. I hate road trips and I really hate sitting in traffic. Anywhere worthwhile in So. cal. to stop for a night if Friday traffic is going to be awful?

The traffic will be awful if you leave between 3pm and 6pm. It can be really bad as early as 2pm, but surprisingly, leaving at 6pm or later has been okay in the San Diego area. I have found that going through LA anytime on a Friday is a nightmare. I don't have anywhere I'd recommend staying overnight off of the 5 in LA. I'd be inclined to just get through the area and then see if I was okay with continuing to drive.

I agree, leave after 6:00 for the least traffic. There's always traffic - I've been stuck many times at 11-12 at night and several times my husband has been caught in traffic coming home from work at 2 am due to construction - but there's not really any place worth stopping.

Darn! Thanks though! Any chance you guys have any advice on beaches? I wrote in the other thread that I want to find one but don't want to spend a fortune to park.

Darn! Thanks though! Any chance you guys have any advice on beaches? I wrote in the other thread that I want to find one but don't want to spend a fortune to park.
You've probably already visited the beach by the time you read this, but I prefer paying to park for overall cleanliness of the beach and restrooms. Torrey Pines has a $15. lot, but you can often find street parking nearby. Del Mar has good beaches, but they do charge and expect a parking ticket if you are a minute late to car. I find in general, heading north the beaches get better/cleaner because there aren't as many transients living on the beach.

Depends on the day. Weekdays i often find street parking near La Jolla shores. On weekends it can get a little tougher ubless you go early AM or at a weird afternoon time when people are leaving. Mission Beach you can always park on the bay side and walk to the beach but its a lot more transients and sketchy people. As somebody else mentioned, as you head north to a point, the beaches tend to get cleaner and nicer(the millionaires don't put up with that stuff the renters do)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts