San Diego: Catamaran Resort or Best Western Island Palms? Other?

Fall1

DIS Veteran
We are headed to San Diego and DL in April. We'll be staying in SD for 3 nights before heading to DL. We'll do the zoo and some other touristy things, but we also really want to relax, ideally swim and just enjoy the time off.

We've heard good things about both the Catamaran Resort and Best Western Island Palms in terms of mid-priced resorts. Has anyone stayed at either, would you recommend one? Any other places I'm not thinking of?

Would love to do the Hotel Del Coronado, but it's out of the budget!

I can't comment on rooms/service at either place, but I can assure you that both are in very good locations. The Catamaran is on the bay in Mission Bay and a block to the ocean. If you want to do outdoor beachy things, it's a good place for that.

I hadn't even realized that there was a Best Western on Shelter Island. Shelter Island is a nice little strip in San Diego Bay. There are concerts and good food at Humphrey's and a nice tiki type restaurant called Bali Hai. Not a place to do the beach activities, though, because it is a boat harbor and also an area where people go to fish.

A couple other places you may have already looked at: Mission Bay Hilton https://www.sandiegohilton.com/?utm_source=GMB&utm_medium=Resort&utm_campaign

Paradise Point: https://www.destinationhotels.com/p...gle-local&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gmb

We've stayed at the Catamaran (4/2009) and on Shelter Island (4/2007) and enjoyed both. My gut reaction was to your post was stay at the Catamaran. We booked a king room with a sofa sleeper and kitchenette with a view of the bay. If we looked to the right we could see the ocean. The grounds were beautiful and the walk to Pacific Beach was quick and convenient. There are a lot of places to eat close by and a Ralph's to grab snacks etc.. for the room.

If you are interested in going to the beach, I would second Catamaran. Much easier because you are right there. The Bahia and The Dana are good options in the area, as is the Hilton someone suggested earlier.

We stayed at the Catamaran for a week last year when we had some work being done on our house and needed to vacate it. We had a blast. I say this as a longtime San Diego resident - it really felt like being on vacation despite the fact I was going to work everyday. We actually talked about booking a weekend staycation soon.

Both are great locations but if you're wanting to spend time on the beach I agree Catamaran is better. I've stayed on Shelter Island too (Hilton and Dana) and you can't go wrong with either location. Bali Hai has the best Mai Tais!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter