Safety of neighborhood on Walnut side of DLR?

DizMe

Here we gooooo...
I'm wondering about the condo complex on Walnut, directly across the street from Disney Way. I think it's called Pepperwood. Is it safe for a single person walking there from DLR at night? I don't know if many walk that way as I'm only familiar with the Harbor and Katella sides.

I've circled it in red on the map and put an X in the approximate location of the condo.anaheim condo map.JPG

I have stayed at both the Holiday Inn and the Springhill Suites and walked Walnut to Downtown Disney. There are quite a few walkers in the am and some at night. I walked with my boys (8 and 10) and did not feel unsafe. Although I don't know specifically about inside the condo complex. My oldest son prefers to walk through DD and asked that we stay on the west side again for our upcoming trip in Oct. It's a bit of a trek, but we like the atmosphere of going through DD. I believe the only crosswalk is at Walnut and Cerritos.

I’ve stayed in the complex twice with my family. I felt very safe in the complex and walking to and from the park.

I think depends on the person. I stayed at a house on Goodhue Ave one time and it was okay. The walk back was fine for the most part, especially before the parks closed, but it was little quiet and a bit "lonely" at night. We stayed further north, so we had to walk by the parking structure, which made things seem even more quiet and remote. From your map, that probably won't be an issue for you. That being said, personally, I wouldn't recommend anyone walk back alone at night, but I'd say that for any city. It was pretty well lit along the main roads (Magic Way, Walnut), but somewhat more dimly lit on the side streets. There were a fair number of other guests walking back along the same route right after the parks closed, but it thinned out pretty quickly.

The other big drawback was that there are no crosswalks across Walnut at Magic Way (at least not when we were there). The nearest crossing was down at Cerritos (which isn't bad, but it's something to keep in mind).

Thanks for the replies. My daughter was asked if she'd like to rent a condo with a couple of girls in that complex. She just got a job offer at DLR and she goes to college nearby. I'm a nervous mom and while I am fine with her walking to work during the day and evening, I really don't know how safe it is later at night. I appreciate the responses.

figment, you're right. It's still true that there are no crosswalks there.

Thanks for the replies. My daughter was asked if she'd like to rent a condo with a couple of girls in that complex. She just got a job offer at DLR and she goes to college nearby. I'm a nervous mom and while I am fine with her walking to work during the day and evening, I really don't know how safe it is later at night. I appreciate the responses.

I'd call the Anaheim PD and share your concerns with one of their officers and ask them their opinion on the location. They may give you some PC line of you know what or they might be completely candid about their experiences in that area. Its worth a shot.

Does she not have a car? Anaheim is not a safe city. At all. I would not recommend a young woman walk around outside the immediate resort area at night, especially alone. If she has a car, she is safer driving to and from work.

We have stayed many times in this area and it is safe, we are a family of 4 and felt very safe walking around the area in the evening.

Does she not have a car? Anaheim is not a safe city. At all. I would not recommend a young woman walk around outside the immediate resort area at night, especially alone. If she has a car, she is safer driving to and from work.

Any neighborhood can be unsafe it's all about educating yourself on the areas as well as being street smart and being prepared. When you walk with intent and purpose and in groups especially deters others. . I grew up in the poor ghettos in Florida, have lived in Detroit and Oakland bay area where people constantly remind me as a woman I shouldn't be out and about. Fear mongering isn't healthy and every single neighborhood, town , and city has its "bad" areas. Instead of being afraid we should be prepared and be smarter about it.

Its always good to do research and ask for personal experiences bit don't be afraid to venture out either is all I'm saying. If it's a question I'd the condo complex itself is safe that is different in itself , if it's a walking matter there's always uber or lyft.

She will have a car; current lease is up July 1 and roomie is moving back home. She had another apt and roommate set up but the girl just backed out so kind of scrambling to figure something out (that's in our budget). Her other option is sharing a house with 2 friends 20 minutes away from both school and DLR (in opposite directions). It's cheap because it's owned by the grandparents of one of them. She does not know the 2 girls in the condo near DLR and they are not students. I've met the one whose condo it is and I got her info but still...I don't know her.

Appreciate all the tips and insight. It's tough trying to find the balance of being there but letting your 18 (almost 19)-year-old figure things out herself. I worry more about safety than she does.

She will have a car; current lease is up July 1 and roomie is moving back home. She had another apt and roommate set up but the girl just backed out so kind of scrambling to figure something out (that's in our budget). Her other option is sharing a house with 2 friends 20 minutes away from both school and DLR (in opposite directions). It's cheap because it's owned by the grandparents of one of them. She does not know the 2 girls in the condo near DLR and they are not students. I've met the one whose condo it is and I got her info but still...I don't know her.

Appreciate all the tips and insight. It's tough trying to find the balance of being there but letting your 18 (almost 19)-year-old figure things out herself. I worry more about safety than she does.

If she has a car, she should drive to and from work. I wouldn't hesitate to live in the area, but I would absolutely not walk back home from work alone late at night, if I were her. I wouldn't do that in my own nearby city, and it's the safest city in America (seriously). An 18 year old woman walking alone late at night anywhere is a bad idea.

In her situation, though, the house sounds like the best option rather than living with strangers. Everyone in Southern CA commutes somewhere. 20 minutes is nothing.

Congrats to your daughter!

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much. jlmarr, big thanks for the map. She's currently leaning toward the house. We already paid the condo person $600 down but it's a sacrifice we could make if she has a better situation with people she knows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter