SAD-spinoff of Depression thread

plgrn

DIS Veteran
I noticed some on the depression thread said that they use lightboxes to treat their "wintertime blues"

Any advice on the purchase of one of these? What brand do you have and how much did you pay for it?

I've always gotten a mild case of SAD this time of year, but for some reason this year it's hit me really hard. I can easily sleep 13 hours straight and have this carbohydrate craving that is just crazy! It's starting to interfere with my daily routine, so any advice would be helpful.

I also posted this on the budget board since from what I've seen, light boxes aren't cheap! Anyone tried the natural light bulbs for $25 each?

I've got SAD that is about 90% gone since I've moved from the Midwest to California almost 3 years ago, but I still use a light box on gloomy days and in the winter when the days are so much shorter.

I have used the natural light light bulbs, and they help a little bit, but not nearly as much as the light box. I bought a "travel/table" compact light box with a removable stand about 6 years ago and it has made a world of difference for me. Mine isn't very big, and so I have to sit closer to it than with a standard light box, but it is more portable and takes up less room (which is why I chose it).

If SAD hits you regularly, no matter how mild the symptoms are, then I'd say it's a good investment to get a light box. Just pick out one you can reasonably afford. You might also check with your doctor - sometimes insurance will cover part or all of it. Before I got my light box, I used to go to the clinic in the morning and use their light box for 20 - 40 min each day during the winter. It just helped me that much.

I was talking to a friend today who has this and she told me she has a light box...of course this was before I saw your thread, anyway she said hers comes from Canada....

I will try and find out the name for you when I see her again....in the meantime, maybe do a google search on light boxes and see what you come up with..

She swears it helps her and makes a huge difference for her.

I did google this last night and many companies came up selling the Light Box....not sure which one is a great one, but hopefully maybe someone knows..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter