Sacrebleu! Castle to chateau!

dancingtodisney

DIS Veteran
WELCOME WELCOME!! I'm so excited you stopped by my training journal!!

tumblr_mwyhu3Ob411t0xyebo1_500.gif

Em..... OK tough crowd...

I'll be posting my
training updates as well as lots of trip planning, all things Disney I feel like sharing and probably some un-Disney but life impacting randomness! So do stick around and if you are following along please do comment I'd love to hear from you!

In case of emergency, the exits are here-here-here-here-here-here-here-here-here-here-here - anywhere!

tumblr_mqtkcfXNHE1roeuxoo1_250.gif

I’m Karen, a 27 year old Disney loving and newish to running Irish girl! I’m currently living in London having moved in the summer of 2015 and after completing the Dopey Challenge this January in Walt Disney World I’m now signed up for the inaugural Disneyland Paris Half Marathon in September 2016.

Dopey.JPG

I’m already planning future visits to the world to RunDisney stateside again but for now focus is on the Disneyland half and I wanted to start a training journal to keep track of my progress and also to keep me accountable!

I’ve participated in two RunDisney events so far, the Wine and Dine Half Marathon in 2014 and The Dopey Challenge in 2016. For both I felt undertrained. My goal is feel strong and prepared come race day in September, not so that I can run super-fast and get a PR but so I can really enjoy every step of the way and have plenty of time for character photos!

Welcome aboard!!

Hello! Happy to be joining in early to your training journal. Looking forward to reading more and soooooo jealous of the Paris run you will be doing. J'adore Paris. (And this concludes the sum total of French that I retained from my one semester in college).

Training Plan

I’m breaking my training plan for the Disneyland Paris down into a few phases.

Phase 1 – Back on track

Phase 2 – 10k Training

Phase 3 – Half Marathon Training

I’m starting with a ‘back on track’ phase because I’ve been rather unhealthy these past few months and I want to take a few weeks to improve my overall fitness and get into some strength training. During this time I will be running BUT running will not be my priority. When I was training for Dopey it was all about building mileage and the pressure of the distance that lay ahead was constantly hanging over me. As a result I focused solely on pounding the pavement and reaching my mileage targets and that was pretty much all that my body and my schedule could handle. I tried bits of strength training here and there but I was always sore afterwards and it affecting my runs too much so I gave it up altogether. I tried speed training and again I was sore and it affected my long runs so that was out too. In reality I wasn’t ready for Dopey but I knew I could and would do it because I’d built endurance AND because of my family.

The second phase of training is pretty self-explanatory in that I’ll be following a seven week 10k training plan. I’ve chosen to continue to use Hal Higdon and although I’ve not actually signed up for a race yet I will do closer to the time and I’m hoping with my training I will be able to score a PB.

The final phase is a 12 week half marathon programme and again I’ll be using Hal Higdon’s training plan. This 12 week plan would bring me up to the second weekend in September which is two weeks before the Disneyland Half Marathon. I’m actually planning on the end of my week 12 being the actual weekend of the half so I’ve got a two week buffer that I will fill at some point.

Phase 1 – Back on track

Week 1

Week 0.JPG

A fairly easy week to get started. Considering how I’ve felt recently after any form of exercise I think I need to be realistic about my current fitness levels! For my first strength session on Tuesday I’m attending a 30min strength training class at my gym that I’ve tried before. The class is basically a circuit that go around with each station having a different strength move and at the end of each set of about 7/8 stations there is a ‘tough minute’ where you give it your all and complete as many reps as possible of some horrible exercise (burpees are evil) followed by a quick rest and REPEAT! I was so sore the last time I did it!

tumblr_miuoltcdvh1rya6a0o1_500.gif

For my running I'm starting out easy as well with a 2:1 run/walk ratio. For Friday's strength training session I'm going with a workout I found online, I've generally struggled with self motivation when it comes to strength training hence I prefer to go for classes but I want to work on that so that's my plan!

Last edited:

Bonjour! :) Can't wait to hear about the race and your training!

Bonjour mademoiselle! Glad to have you along for the ride! :D

Hello! Happy to be joining in early to your training journal. Looking forward to reading more and soooooo jealous of the Paris run you will be doing. J'adore Paris. (And this concludes the sum total of French that I retained from my one semester in college).

I had 6years of French at school and I've not retained a whole lot myself! Thanks for following! I'm jealous all the time of everyone stateside being close enough to travel for race weekends so I'm delighted they've got one closer to home!

I'm following so that I can live vicariously through you!

YAH!! Glad to have you!!! I keep meaning to comment on your journal I've been following (and love the leggings by the way) so I will very soon I promise!!

Hello! Will follow along !:)

GREAT!!! :yay:

Following as well!

In the same boat as I just completed the Dopey in Jan. That was my first runDisney event.

Quickly signed up for the DDD in Sept. Currently in "back on track" training mode and doing a test 10K to submit a better corral time.

Then when the bib-only opened up, missed my chance for the DLP 1/2.. Luckily 5 days later, more spots opened and I snagged it up.

So I applaud you for the Castle to Chateau challenge and look forward to hearing how your training is coming along!

UPDATE: EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED

Ok not everything.. but a lot of things!!

First off although the main focus of my journal will be my running and working towards the Disneyland Half Marathon I also want to eat healthier and lose weight. I was doing quite well in that department until I moved to London where my social life exploded and I got myself a fellow foodie for a boyfriend. Prince Charming is TALL and I’m average height so eating the same food as him has really not done any favours for my waistline! I decided this week that I was going to join Weight Watchers so I’m on week 1 of that journey and week 2 of my training plan. I’m accountant. I like my numbers to match. So I’ve rejigged things a little to stop my brain screaming at me.

Secondly I’m singing up to run a half marathon in August (The Dublin Rock ‘n’ Roll Half) with my Dad and sister so I’m going to need to adjust my plans to be half marathon by then.

Ok… with that out of the way let’s get on with my training updates!

WEEK 0

Week 0.JPG

Monday - REST

Tuesday - 3K

Today was my first proper run since I returned back from my Dopey Challenge trip in January. I felt a bit nervous it, like that feeling you get when get on a bicycle haven not ridden one for a long time. I knew I’d be able to run but how bad would I be after such a long break?!

The weather was HORRIBLE so I ended up having to run indoors on the threadmil… YUCK! I ran 2:1 intervals which was a bit difficult on the threadmil as it takes a while to adjust the pace so I think next time I’m indoor running I’ll go for a longer interval. I was listening to a podcast and so the time went by pretty quick. I was pretty sweaty (icky I know) by the end because the stupid gym wasn’t very cool! First run DONE!

Wednesday - Strenght
T
his morning my alarm went off at 6am and having only managed to get to sleep aroundmidnight I was so tempted to reset it for 8am and get some much needed Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz’s

BUT I didn’t!! I got my but up out of bed, got myself dressed and ready to hit the gym and headed out for the bus. My bus driver seemed in no particular hurry and even though I’d given myself double the amount of time needed for the journey I barely made it on time!! When I arrived on the gym floor the circuit session had already started so I had to find a free spot and jump right in!

Our instructor today was really good, very high energy and walked around loads encouraging everyone. There were 12 stations including everything from squats, lunges and step ups with weights, climbing up bars on the wall and finishing with a sort of pull up, running, cycling, football drills, tyre throwing and push ups! It was SO TOUGH!! The ‘tough minute’ in between our two circuits were a variation of burpees (YUCK) and pulsing squats (OUCH).

Even after my shower my face was still bright red but I felt AWESOME! Heading into work I had that lovely post exercise high and just an overall ‘lighter’ feeling. I can already feel my legs burning a bit so I’m interested to see how they hold up tomorrow with my run.

Thursday - 2K Run

Today was my second run but my first outdoor run so that made me a bit more excited for it! I got dressed and decided to set my Garmin to a 2min:45sec interval (not the 2:1 I’d originally planned) and made my way out for the run. I waited for my watch to sync with the satellites. Waited… and waited…. And waited… Hmmmmm maybe I should’ve updated or synced it since it’s been sat on a shelf in my room for 2months!! I gave up and opened my nike + app on my phone and decided to use that instead. I set off and was surprised to see when I checked my phone that I was already 2mins in and it was time for my first walk break!

I took the walk break and got running again. It felt comfortable and I was really relaxed. My watch beeped during my next run to let me know that it had finally found satellites so I switched to using that which meant I had the alerts to keep me on track.

I really took it easy, I didn’t push my pace at all and I was never out of breath or anything. Before I knew it the 2k was done! I contemplated adding on an extra km but I knew I had my strength training class early the next day so decided to leave it at that!

I didn’t notice any leg pain from the strength training class yesterday, my stomach muscles are sore though especially if I cough.

Friday - Strenght

Today I couldn't make a class but decided to give it a go myself. I did some squats, jumping squats, lunges and step ups but really it was not nearly as productive as my class workouts. This is something I need to work on!

Saturday - REST
Sunday - REST

First week done!! I had a crazy busy weekend with heading out to Prince Charming's mothers house, a house party and a really nice meal out on Sunday. Going forward I'd like to still get a workout in at the weekend, probably Saturday. I was also pretty rubbish at stretching! I did a quick stretch after my workouts but really it's not enough.

Aims for next week:

1) Weekend workout
2) Stretch more

Congrats on signing up for another half. A Dublin run sounds really fun. And, I hear you on the gaining weight thing. I've been fighting my weight and trying to lose, but it's stubborn to get off. I know Weight Watchers works really well for a lot of people.

Excellent week of training and sounds like your first couple of runs went really well. That strength training regimen sounds intense. I've been working on getting consistent with some Nautilus circuit training, but it's no where as difficult as what you described.

Good first week! I totally know what you mean about having trouble to get motivated with strength workouts when you aren't in a class setting!! I am totally the same way...I don't think I'd ever get myself to do burpees on my own, for example. Woohoo for signing up for another race!

How are you liking Weight Watchers? It worked really well for me a few years back with PointsPlus...but I looked at SmartPoints and I think I'd starve! EEK!!

WEEK 1
Onto week number 1 (yes I know I'm a bit overdue on this one but bear with me... explanations a coming soooooooon) and I was again hoping to do well with my strength training and also get a few short runs in. I went to my first weigh in at weight watchers and I'd lost 5lbs in a week. WHOOOP! I'm not getting too confident though, my schedule is so busy I really find it difficult to eat healthy. I'm so often out with friends and prince charming that on the rare night that I'm home in my flat I'm feeling rather lazy. What I have been able to do easy enough is to eat healthier at work. At my new job there is a restaurant in the building, you pay a contribution and it's really good value but you have to signed up to it meaning you can't just pay for a one off lunch you pay for a month of lunches through your salary. The problem is that lunch is a three course meal, there are some healthy options but I inevitably eat way more in the restaurant than I would if I made or bought my own lunch. I don't like also that you don't know the nutritional information so I can't point accurately. I decided to opt out of the restaurant, I'll maybe opt back in at a later date when I'm happy with just maintaining my weight.

Monday - Rugby

Today was rugby day! But not only that…. I walked to work! The walk is about 2.5miles and takes me about 40mins.

Rugby went well, I scored two trys WHOOP! Always a good workout as there is lots of stop/start sprinting.

Tuesday – Strength Training
Today I went a body pump class. This is quite different to the circuit training class as it’s all about the weights, there is nothing that is straining cardio wise but everything BURNS!

I did OK in the class. I was using lighter weights than most and so I was able to complete a lot of the reps but towards the end I was really struggling to keep squatting and lunging while using the weights as we’d already done so many! The class was an hour long too so my muscles were aching by the end.

My hamstring felt a bit tight from rugby the night before but nothing too bad and it didn’t stop me completing the exercises

Wednesday – 3k run
This was not a great run… my average pace was around 12mins32 per mile and it felt like a struggle. My legs were really heavy from the session the day before and I could feel a twinge in my hamstring

Thursday – 3k run & Strength
Completed this on the treadmill. My legs felt better than yesterday but there was still a twinge in my hamstring. Average pace of 12mins02 per mile.
Gym circuit training class today, luckily the leg work wasn’t too intense because I don’t think I would’ve been able for it!

Friday – REST

Saturday 5K & Strength
Today was my best exercise day so far! I booked the circuit gym class that I really like at 9.30am and my gym is 3miles from my flat so I decided I would run there!

It was a beautiful clear sky morning and the sun was shining the whole way in. The temperatures were still quite cool (about 50 degrees) so it was the perfect running weather for me. I went with 2mins run and 45sec walk the whole way and I felt really comfortable, I actually enjoyed running for the first time since Dopey! It took me 36mins24secs so average pace of 12mins10secs.

I arrived at the gym with about 10mins to spare before my class. The class was really good, there was lots of variety and shorter intervals which I much prefer. I felt afterwards like I’d had a really good workout and I love that feeling.

My hamstring felt alright today too… WINNING!!

Sunday – REST

Congrats on signing up for another half. A Dublin run sounds really fun. And, I hear you on the gaining weight thing. I've been fighting my weight and trying to lose, but it's stubborn to get off. I know Weight Watchers works really well for a lot of people.

Excellent week of training and sounds like your first couple of runs went really well. That strength training regimen sounds intense. I've been working on getting consistent with some Nautilus circuit training, but it's no where as difficult as what you described.

Thanks! I actually only officially signed up today lol I've been so busy lately but now that I'm actually registered it's a great motivation. Ugh I know... so easy to put on and SO HARD to lose!

Ye the strength training has been quite intense considering I went from pretty much nothing but the classes I do are aimed at all levels so there are 'easier' options like lighter weights. I should probably say that I haven't yet managed to fully complete the circuits I'm doing, I always end up having to stop for extra little breaks when my arms or legs just can't deal anymore!

Good first week! I totally know what you mean about having trouble to get motivated with strength workouts when you aren't in a class setting!! I am totally the same way...I don't think I'd ever get myself to do burpees on my own, for example. Woohoo for signing up for another race!

How are you liking Weight Watchers? It worked really well for me a few years back with PointsPlus...but I looked at SmartPoints and I think I'd starve! EEK!!

I'M SO BAD AT IT!! I really get nothing done, I'm sticking to classes for now!

WOOHOO!!! :dogdance:

I am liking it so far, I find it better than the pointsplus plan actually and it's not as bad as it looks at first sight. Things like potatoes and bread are higher but other things like chicken breast and lean meats are lower so it does change how you plan a meal.

I'M SO BAD AT IT!! I really get nothing done, I'm sticking to classes for now!
Sometimes you just need an expert to tell you what to do!!
WOOHOO!!! :dogdance:
:yay:
I am liking it so far, I find it better than the pointsplus plan actually and it's not as bad as it looks at first sight. Things like potatoes and bread are higher but other things like chicken breast and lean meats are lower so it does change how you plan a meal.
:scratchin You have me interested now. I have only heard BAD things about it, but admittedly, I didn't actually try the plan. If I decide I need to drop some pounds I may give it a fair shot. I DO get it free from work, so I really don't have anything to lose...except girth. :upsidedow I'm glad you're liking it so far!!

UPDATE

I’ve been quite poor at updating my journal the last few weeks and that’s because I picked up an injury and so lost all motivation to post my weekly summary…

This is the kind of mindset I need to get out of! I’m really an all or nothing kind of person. I’m either eating healthy or shovelling down a big mac… running and posting about it and SMASHING my training or not running and avoiding all things running related. BAH!!

A few things have happened since I left off so let’s get up to speed shall we??

Instead of boring you guys with a detailed week by week non-running recap I’ll do an overall summary.

Week 2 – Hamstring was feeling tight but I decided to play rugby anyway (STOOOOOOOOOOOOPID) and by the end of the game I knew I’d done some damage when I started to cool down and I could feel pain in the area. I rested for a couple of days then hit the gym for my circuits training. I was OK with most of the exercises but again I was sore at the end and it felt painful to stretch afterwards. I tried running towards the end of the week but had to pull up after only half a mile. I admitted defeat. I needed to rest.

Week 3 – No running but I attended two circuit training classes AND managed my first relatively successful strength training session by myself… mini win! By the end of the week my leg was feeling a lot better and I’m thinking with just a little more rest I’ll be good to run again. Also… I know I won’t be running for the first half of next week because…. I’M GOING TO IBIZA!!! It’s my friends 30th birthday and we are going to celebrate in style!

DISNEY UPDATE

Now that I’ve brought you up to date on my no so active training I can finally share some GOOD NEWS!! The UK offer came out last week for free dining in 2017 and I booked to go back to OKW! We’ll be returning to WDW in September 2017!! AGES away I know but still… it’s booked! I’m so happy to be going back to OKW we loved it this year and I’m going to look to finish the trip with a couple of nights somewhere else… maybe somewhere I dream about staying… you’ll have to stay tuned!

Well… there you have it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter