• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

?s RE DCL accessible cabins

steffali

DIS Veteran
Me and my DF are planning our first cruise ever. My DD has mobility problems,can walk short distances but spends most of time in WC. She has to use a walk in shower.

We are looking to see if anybody has first hand experience with the accessible cabins on the Disney Ships in particular a One Bedroom suite.

Do they use ramps in the doorways or are the floors all level?
Are there any challenges to getting the WC on the verandah?
Any hidden things we should know about???

Any information about your on board experience (elevators, areas to avoid,dinning areas, pools, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

Also any information on the shore excursions, we would like to take her to Atlantis, would be helpful. We are concerned about the possibility of tendering as well as getting to and from Atlantis.

We have been lurking for awhile on this board and everyone seems very helpful. I am a big Disney fan but have never been on a cruise so I am a little nervous. The posts on this board have been very informative. THANKS!!

Steffali
:earseek:

when we did the tour of SSR the guide told us all about other options e.g. the disney cruises and as my son is wheelchair dependable we didn't think the cruise ships would be an option but he said they are wheelchair friendly and it would be possible for him to do the cruise. I know this doesn't answer your question in detail but just to let you know it is possible.

I was going to ask if anybody knew what time the cruises departed as it takes about 2 hrs to get our son ready (we would be staying at SSR) and then the drive down so was wondering if it would be possible in the future for us.

steffali said:
Me and my DF are planning our first cruise ever. My DD has mobility problems,can walk short distances but spends most of time in WC. She has to use a walk in shower.

We are looking to see if anybody has first hand experience with the accessible cabins on the Disney Ships in particular a One Bedroom suite.

Do they use ramps in the doorways or are the floors all level?
Are there any challenges to getting the WC on the verandah?
Any hidden things we should know about???

Any information about your on board experience (elevators, areas to avoid,dinning areas, pools, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

Also any information on the shore excursions, we would like to take her to Atlantis, would be helpful. We are concerned about the possibility of tendering as well as getting to and from Atlantis.

We have been lurking for awhile on this board and everyone seems very helpful. I am a big Disney fan but have never been on a cruise so I am a little nervous. The posts on this board have been very informative. THANKS!!

Steffali
:earseek:

To my knowledge none of the "suites" are accessible although there is a Cat 3 that is. The accessible staterooms with verandah that I have stayed in are great for two people plus...especially if one person can manage the door..some HA staterooms do not have automatic/pushbutton activated doors...
The verandah is accessible provided someone can manage the very heavy door. The "roll-in" showers are great...be sure to specify one if you need it instead of a tub shower. Call Special Services or have your TA contact them for assignment to accessible stateroom. The carpeted areas are difficult to roll over because of the thick pile...would suggest renting power scooter or chair from off-site (Brevard Medical) for length of cruise use. Don't expect DCL to be very helpful in arranging accessible excursions...Talk to Heath at Shore Excursion desk as soon as you board to arrange accessible transport
to Atlantis...At Atlantis get hold of a tour guide to assist you with all the lifts and elevators...they need special keys to operate.

Ali and boyz said:
I was going to ask if anybody knew what time the cruises departed as it takes about 2 hrs to get our son ready (we would be staying at SSR) and then the drive down so was wondering if it would be possible in the future for us.

According to the Passporter for DCL, Embarkation begins between 12:00 1:00 Ship departs around 5PM.

There are four accessible Cat 3's ( one bedroom suites) and all the accessible staterooms are quite spacious in order to allow for the turning radius of a w/c. You shouldn't have trouble getting around the ship independently but as Lynda mentioned, someone who is very strong would need to open the sliding verandah doors. Skye ( my service dog) is very good about opening a sliding door but she huffed, puffed, and tugged and it was impossible for her to open the ones on DCL despite her best effort. There are no step-ups or ramps in the accessible rooms...all one level and all have a roll in shower,....some have tubs/handrails also. ---Kathy

Kathy are the tubs with handrails completely around the tub or just on the back wall? TO avoid falling I need them completely around the sides (3)

Lisa- I'll have to dig out my photos and take a look- I'll have an answer for you soon! ---Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter