S/O - do your kids use their phones different than you?

I've had that issue with my landline, fortunately not with my cell phone. But nobody by my wife, 2 children and MIL has my cell phone number, which is why I keep the landline.

My number isn't very widely distributed either. Doesn't stop the robocalls. My husband, oldest daughter and I all have numbers close to each other. When my husband and I are both home we've experienced many times a robocall on his line and then several minutes later the same robocaller ringing my line. It's just bots sequentially dialing numbers down the string. They're not all calls from lists of numbers culled from datamining.

My number isn't very widely distributed either. Doesn't stop the robocalls. My husband, oldest daughter and I all have numbers close to each other. When my husband and I are both home we've experienced many times a robocall on his line and then several minutes later the same robocaller ringing my line. It's just bots sequentially dialing numbers down the string. They're not all calls from lists of numbers culled from datamining.
Yup. Many from just computers dialing area code, known prefix, then sequential numbers. 415-321-0000 to 415-321-9999. I was one of the first in the area with a cell phone, so my cell phone is on the first prefix for cell phones here, so only 10,000 of us ever had that prefix, the cell carriers no longer use that prefix, and over the last 29 years, most of those numbers have been dropped, so I suspect my prefix isn't even on their radar.

Yup. Many from just computers dialing area code, known prefix, then sequential numbers. 415-321-0000 to 415-321-9999. I was one of the first in the area with a cell phone, so my cell phone is on the first prefix for cell phones here, so only 10,000 of us ever had that prefix, the cell carriers no longer use that prefix, and over the last 29 years, most of those numbers have been dropped, so I suspect my prefix isn't even on their radar.

If I weren't related to several long-time workers in the telecommunications industry I could believe that. The explosion of cell phones and other devices requiring numbers led to an incredible shortage of numbers, so much so that they shortened and shortened the amount of time they left a number dormant after the customer dropped it. I can assure you there is not a prefix out there they've allowed to go virtually dormant for 29 years.

Similar to my teens - the phone is a little used app on my device.

Where we generally vary is the social networks - not the usage of which, just the actual apps used. I don't have Snapchat and barely use Instagram, whereas my boys would never be caught dead on Facebook :p

If I weren't related to several long-time workers in the telecommunications industry I could believe that. The explosion of cell phones and other devices requiring numbers led to an incredible shortage of numbers, so much so that they shortened and shortened the amount of time they left a number dormant after the customer dropped it. I can assure you there is not a prefix out there they've allowed to go virtually dormant for 29 years.
They have. I have career Pacific Telephone workers in my family (Now ATT workers). But they have added 2 area codes instead in that time. Some of 916 got overlaid to 530 in 1997. And in September 2017 part of the 916 area code was overlaid to the 279 area code.

I can't imagine texting with only one finger. Which finger do you use? Why wouldn't you use your two thumbs? That has to be so much slower.

Because the phone doesn't know which key I am pushing? My thumb covers about 5 keys when i push it. Also the fingerprint reader doesn't work that good on my new phone.

They have. I have career Pacific Telephone workers in my family (Now ATT workers). But they have added 2 area codes instead in that time. Some of 916 got overlaid to 530 in 1997. And in September 2017 part of the 916 area code was overlaid to the 279 area code.

I'm actually well aware Pac Bell is now AT&T (at least by name anyway). Really they're SBC, the old Southwestern Bell, with a shiny new(old) name they purchased simply because it's recognized worldwide -- a bitter pill the suits in TX still resent to this day. The inner workings of the SBC takeover of Pac Bell was actually quite brutal.

There's been many, many changes to the telecom landscape since those days. Including the government requiring them to allot pools of numbers to the other carriers. The scarcity of numbers and the value of the pools is part of what led to the regulations that customers had to be allowed to take their number with them if they changed carriers.

I hail from the Motor City, but I have more family and friends who've been in the telecom industry than the auto industry. A rarity in our area.

I tore a ligament on a thumb several years back and had to have surgery. That thumb doesn't have the dexterity to type on a phone keyboard, so I type with one index finger instead of one thumb. Luckily my thumb does still have the dexterity for typing on a computer keyboard.

None of us use our phones much for talking, although even our daughters do occasionally, generally if they get a call from work. Mainly I text and listen to music on my phone. My husband and daughters are power users of their phones, apps, streaming, etc. They've all had to use their phones in college classes as well.

Well obviously if there's some medical reason why you can't use your thumb that's different...:confused3

When they text they use 2 fingers and make fun of me for using only one finger.

My DS makes fun of my texting speed too.

There are some differences between how age groups use tech, but I think it's more of a difference in mentality and comfort that drive most of the tech use differences between people.

I’m definitely a “slow adopter” - I need to gradually get comfortable with my technology.

I text MUCH MORE than I talk (I hate talking on the phone!), although I do have my voice mail set up.

Same here.

But my oldest? It is almost like he's phobic about it. He won't order pizza from the one place in town that doesn't have online ordering, even though their food is better, and if he wants Chinese food he'll go and order in person. But most perplexing to me is that he'll type novels into Messenger or texts before he'll just decide that calling is faster.

I’ll call if I have too, but I do *prefer* ordering on line.

My DS uses his phone for video streaming, Snapchat, podcasts, texting, games, photos...He’s never without it.

I use my mine for texting, looking things up, photos, sometimes to check in here if I’m not home (though I refer the PC), one puzzle game, and very occasionally talking.

We use different social media - we're all on FB, Instagram and Line, but the only time I Snapchat is with the kids and none of them use Twitter, which I use often. And my 10yo plays a lot more games than I do, but I chalk that up to the difference between kid and adult.

The biggest difference is that the older two hardly ever use their phones to make calls, which I find a bit odd. My middle child, I kind of get it - she a super-involved senior, as are most of her friends, so asynchronous communication is preferable over trying to line up random moments of availability with friends, and she does make calls when the situation demands it (like talking to her grandparents or ordering Chinese food). But my oldest? It is almost like he's phobic about it. He won't order pizza from the one place in town that doesn't have online ordering, even though their food is better, and if he wants Chinese food he'll go and order in person. But most perplexing to me is that he'll type novels into Messenger or texts before he'll just decide that calling is faster.
I won’t order from a really great pizza place because they won’t take online orders. Having to repeat myself constantly because they’re trying to take an order in a loud establishment, having to go back and forth with them on the menu items, giving my credit card over the phone, give my address, repeat my address and needing cash for a tip all turn me off. It’s much easier to click, click, select my pay method, add my tip and done ordering with the next best pizza place. Until they come into this century I can’t be bothered.

Last edited:
I'm actually well aware Pac Bell is now AT&T (at least by name anyway). Really they're SBC, the old Southwestern Bell, with a shiny new(old) name they purchased simply because it's recognized worldwide -- a bitter pill the suits in TX still resent to this day. The inner workings of the SBC takeover of Pac Bell was actually quite brutal.

There's been many, many changes to the telecom landscape since those days. Including the government requiring them to allot pools of numbers to the other carriers. The scarcity of numbers and the value of the pools is part of what led to the regulations that customers had to be allowed to take their number with them if they changed carriers.

I hail from the Motor City, but I have more family and friends who've been in the telecom industry than the auto industry. A rarity in our area.

Yup. Judge Green in 1982 ordered A-T & T broken up. And nearly 40 years later, the 7 Baby Bells are almost back together.

I don't talk on my phone either, unless absolutely forced. :)
I text all the time, take pictures, play games, Twitter, deposit to my bank, pay my bills, watch YouTube, listen to music, set my alarm, keep track of my calendar, shop, etc.
If my phone died, I would be useless.
Very far from a kid though, I'm 47.

Ditto, except I'm 49 LOL

Yup. Judge Green in 1982 ordered A-T & T broken up. And nearly 40 years later, the 7 Baby Bells are almost back together.

I'm very well aware. I also understand that they're a shell of their former selves, partially the result of which of the specific siblings wound up turning a merger of equals into the means to control it all -- and subsequently buy and subsume AT&T when it was all said and done -- with no end of bloodletting that continues to this day. I kid you not, there is still bitterness and sulking in TX about the decision to abandon the SBC name for business reasons.

I am mid 50's and hate using the phone to talk- I use it for texting, face timing, music, videos, watch tv on it on the treadmill, social media, email and games. Text with 2 fingers. My 90 year old mother feels the difference though "no one calls me anymore" (relatives, neighbors etc) because we all just text- so got her an ipad which she has a facebook account on and uses, a cell phone which she texts with- though she uses this little stick thing to push the letters and not her finger, and got her a desktop computer years ago which she plays games on club pogo. She refers to each thing as "my texting machine" "my facebook machine" and "my game machine" LOL- but it keeps her in the loop, especially facebook, she is so happy reading all the relatives post and commenting on them!

My kids don't actually use their phones to talk, they don't even have their voicemail set up. They will text, snap, facetime or use apps - but not phone.

When they text they use 2 fingers and make fun of me for using only one finger.

They use their phone as their alarm. My daughter uses it to watch tv shows, even though she has an actual tv in her room.

I'm sure there are lots of other things we do differently. Is this a generational thing or just my kids?

Thanks for making me feel young! I use my phone much like your kids. Phone calls are rare, texting is daily with my thumbs. I watch Hulu or Netflix in the gym on it daily. I use it for multiple daily alarms. Do my banking, shopping, navigation, and on and on... Talking is the least used function.

My voicemail is set up but those who know me know that it is an ineffective way to get in touch with me. My voicemail message is..."I can't talk right now so the quickest way to get in touch would be to text me."

Thanks for making me feel young! I use my phone much like your kids. Phone calls are rare, texting is daily with my thumbs. I watch Hulu or Netflix in the gym on it daily. I use it for multiple daily alarms. Do my banking, shopping, navigation, and on and on... Talking is the least used function.

My voicemail is set up but those who know me know that it is an ineffective way to get in touch with me. My voicemail message is..."I can't talk right now so the quickest way to get in touch would be to text me."

LOL. Yeah, that is my battle everyday at work. The problem is, all our our people have been assigned hands free equipment for calls, where as with texts, legally, to read and respond to a text, they need to pull off the road/freeway, stop, and then respond. Phone call is so much quicker and efficient. And of course, I have our mutual supervisors hovering around wanting to know if the crew has gotten the message and are doing what they were told.

LOL. Yeah, that is my battle everyday at work. The problem is, all our our people have been assigned hands free equipment for calls, where as with texts, legally, to read and respond to a text, they need to pull off the road/freeway, stop, and then respond. Phone call is so much quicker and efficient. And of course, I have our mutual supervisors hovering around wanting to know if the crew has gotten the message and are doing what they were told.

This used to be true but speech to text is now so advanced, on the iPhone at least, that I use it when driving. "Hey Siri, text ___" when a text comes in, "Hey Siri, read my text." No need to take hands off the wheel nor eyes off the road.

Last edited:
No they don’t. There are a number of ways to go hands free. Just about every type of smartphone has an “assistant” that you can ask to read and respond to texts. Never have to take your eyes off the road.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter