?'s for those who have just stayed Poly concierge

PLibster

Loving me some Disney World!!
Give me a sample of the food and beverage offerings between 5-7pm and 8-10pm. I also have two children ages 5 and 7; anything for them? Are you allowed to take snacks and drinks to the pool or beach area. I am thinking of eating a late lunch and just snacking in the evening on our free days. I know we usually don't eat much when it is hot outside anyway. How big is the refrigerator? I know I will have to bring goodies from home. Also, has anyone ever got a free upgrade from GV to LV upon checkin? If so did u just ask? :)

I don't remember much about the food. There seemed to always be big cookies around and they had those uncrustable PB&Js for the kids. We went in the evening once and all that was left was sushi.

As far as free upgrades- we were VERY lucky to receive one. I had sent an email asking for a ground level room and said that we'd appreciate the best view they had available. When we checked in and walked down the hall I started getting giddy when I realided we were going to be on the lagoon side. It was cold when we were there so it was sooo nice to see the fireworks and boat parade from our room. It truly was an amazing part of our vacation. I was kind of 'iffy' on the poly but the free upgrade helped. :-)

Liz

Oh that would be soooo great to get an upgrade!! Thanks for posting.

Plibster- We are frequent flyers at the Poly Conc. and the one time that we were GV we did not ask for or receive a complimentary upgrade. That certainly doesn't mean that you won't be upgraded. As for the fridge- These are small, dorm style fridges w/ no real capability to freeze things or store large items. As for bringing snacks to the pool and beach, I've never seen it but perhaps someone else can speak to this. The evening offerings are not substantial in my opinion and so if your crowd is hungry for a real meal, it could be tough. My kids are not fond of sushi, salad etc.. so we usually got them a children's meal at our restaurant of choice that evening. You do sometimes see people w/ a tray taking a selection of snacks back to their room but in general, I believe that most times people have the evening snack in the lounge. The evening service was perfect for our purposes(yummy cheeses, fresh cut fruit, crackers etc.). Breakfast is very well done and your family most certainly will find a filling, good quality continental breakfast. I did think that they had trimmed down the evening offerings on our last visit, one month ago. Threehearts

As to your request for an idea of what the lounge offers at various times, the following comes from Tikiman's pages and I've found it accurate on our many visits:

"Kakahiaka (morning service) 7:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. offering muffins and pastries, tropical fruit, croissants, english muffins, bagels, cream cheese, cereal, milk, orange juice, pineapple guava juice, ice tea, Kona coffee, bottled water, and toasters are available.

Auinala (afternoon service) 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. offering fruit juice, bottled water, soda, ice tea, cookies, tropical fruit, gummy worms and m&m's for the kids.

Ahiahi (evening service) 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. offering different themes each day. This may change but this is what they offered when we were there.

Sunday Mexican: Taco salad, tortilla chips, cheese, salsa, grilled vegetables, and tropical fruit with caramel dipping sauce.

Monday Asian: Sushi, noodles, shrimp, fruit salsa, and eggrolls.

Tuesday Luau: Sesame chicken pasta with sweet garlic soy, tropical fruits, noodles, and cheese platter.

Wednesday 'Ohana: Vegetable springrolls with sweet chili sauce, apple pasta salad, and tropical fruit.

Thursday Kona: Sticky chicken wings, chicken fajitas with char sui sauce, potato and macaroni salad, and tropical fruits.

Friday Italian: Lasagna, meatballs in sauce, antipasto salad, pasta, and tropical fruits.

Saturday Moroccan: Cous Cous with vegetables, spicy bean dip, pita bread, cucumber and tomato salad, and tropical fruits.

Aumoe (late evening service) 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. offering wine and cheese as well as cordials and desserts."

You should also be aware there are always kid friendly foods available for anyone--kids large and small--e.g., tuna sandwiches, PB&J uncrustables, ham/cheese roll-ups (in a flour tortilla), brownies, cookies, cupcakes, etc.

Are you allowed to take snacks and drinks to the pool or beach area.

You are free to take your food anywhere you would like, poolside, beach, your room, or remain in the lounge. Paper plates are available and out for your use so that you needn't return or carry the glass plates. I agree, though, in the evening most people dine in the lounge or their rooms--air conditioning! ;) We've taken our desserts outside though on more than one occasion to avoid a rather congested concierge lounge at fireworks time. Some people just don't know how to be "still" and enjoy the sounds and sights!

Also, has anyone ever got a free upgrade from GV to LV upon checkin? If so did u just ask?

Yes to the first and no to the second--just luck of the draw I guess or repeat visitation perhaps?

Hope that all helps a bit!

Hi Tess- I 'm curious about the availavility of ham and cheese sandwiches, tuna salad, brownies, cupcakes, shrimp and some other offerings. We have stayed in Poly Conc. now 6 times in 2 and half years and I haven't seen these items frequently at all. I in no way am doubting you but rather if they are out would like to know where so my kids can have some too! There were uncrustables in the children's corner every evening and I know that you can request yogurt, choc. milk etc. but I wasn't aware of the other possibilities.
Your idea to take your dessert outside for the fireworks is excellent. I'll look forward to the updates. I was last at the Poly in Jan. '03 and I think that I might have missed a few things. Thanks for the info.. Threehearts

Originally posted by Threehearts
Hi Tess- I 'm curious about the availavility of ham and cheese sandwiches, tuna salad, brownies, cupcakes, shrimp and some other offerings.

I've never seen shrimp or cupcakes. The ham & cheese sandwiches, tuna sandwiches and brownies were on the kid's table. The stuff on the kid's table changed every day or so...maybe you just missed it. :)

I'd just reiterate what gepetto said, the offerings on the kids table varies from day-to-day. I'm not sure which days the tuna and ham roll-ups were on the kids table, but they rotate those items along with the PB&J. Brownies were offered a couple of different days and cupcakes on another--there weren't anything we requested, but rather were just on the kids table. Perhaps it has something to do with the time of year we visit--June--when the resort is busier.

With regard to your question about shrimp, this was offered on sushi night. We rarely stick around for that since the kids claim they aren't "into" sushi--how they would know is beyond me since neither will give it a go. ;)

I will say that last year things did differ somewhat from the "menu" and cheese/crackers seemed to be out every day. Some of the side dishes were tweaked, too. The main items remained surprisingly consistent with what Tikiman lists and we've found it so during our visits over the past five-six years.

All of that said--who knows what this summer will bring since the concierge lounge will be in the Tahiti building from around 6/1 until perhaps September. I guess we'll find out in June. :D

I found my menu items from past stays. The one posted above continues to be accurate and I have the childrens' table menu:

Sunday: Ham & Cheese halves with cupcakes
Monday: Turkey & Swiss Sandwiches and brownies
Tuesday: PB&J
Wednesday: Tuna Salad Sandwiches and cupcakes
Thursday: Ham & Cheese roll-ups
Friday: Turkey & Cheese tortillas
Saturday: Tuna Salad

I vividly recall the cupcakes because one particularly misbehaved 3-4 y/o was running wild and crawling all over the furniture, cupcake in hand, natch, with the frosting smearing everywhere.

Hope that sheds some light for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter