Ruth's Chris ???

I was once. Thought the steak was awesome. However, really not worth the price. You can get a comparable tasting steak at most other steakhouses for less with side included, or even making one at your own home for even less money.
Hmm, sides aren’t included at our local one, a baked potato is $8.

Me again, the OP... Thanks for posting!
I have to agree with those who were underwhelmed and felt overcharged.
We got a small filet that tasted like liver, and while not char-grilled, tasted of burned-oil, at the temps they use.
It wasn't that tender either.
And, a little seasoning might help.

Got back from vacation and picked up some Filet on sale at Kroger, hot grilled it in my cast iron skillet, well seasoned.
OMG, it was so much better!

The restaurant was very very nice. We got the best table in the house. And they had entertainment that evening out in the bar. So, we had a nice evening! But, I was def. underwhelmed with the steak. And, wished we had ordered a baked potato instead of the Garlic Mashed.

Ruth Chris sides aren't included, but I was meaning other steakhouses (Texas Roadhouse, longhorn, outback, etc) they are. So I'd rather go to one of them and get two sides and it's still half the price of just the steak at RC.

Ruth Chris sides aren't included, but I was meaning other steakhouses (Texas Roadhouse, longhorn, outback, etc) they are. So I'd rather go to one of them and get two sides and it's still half the price of just the steak at RC.
Yes, but I really try to support local independent businesses, and ours just happens to be just as expensive, if not more, than an expensive chain. Ours does have a nice happy hour, $1 oysters, $5 glasses of wine and craft beer, $5 small plates. I’m a big fan of nice happy hours and we do have some good ones here.

I've been to two locations (NOLA and NYC) and am not a fan. Their steaks are very lean, which to me translates as weakly flavored and a tad dry. The prices are astronomical, and you pay for everything individually, so that $45 is JUST for the steak. I'll go somewhere else, thanks.

This is the Calgary menu; the Canadian prices in general are quite a bit more than what's being discussed at the American locations:
https://ruthschrisalberta.ca/calgary/food-menu/entrees/
Is that in Canadian dollars, because if so, it’s very similar. I can’t even get prices here online, because there are so many, and I’m sure the costs vary in relation to how close to NYC, Parsippany is going to be cheaper than weehawkin.

You guys are fancy..we don’t have one here. We do have an IHOP and a Popeyes though lol

I seem to remember a local steakhouse up in Winnipeg that pretty much makes Ruth's Chris steaks pale in comparison. One thing you do have up there is some decent eateries.

I think she's saying the sides are included at other cheaper steak houses.

Is that in Canadian dollars, because if so, it’s very similar. I can’t even get prices here online, because there are so many, and I’m sure the costs vary in relation to how close to NYC, Parsippany is going to be cheaper than weehawkin.
Yes, it's CAD and I've done a few quick calculations; the prices are around 30% higher which is roughly the exchange we're getting right now.
ETA: :mad: It ticks me off though - why should we pay the equivalent of USD? The purchase supplies and pay for staff and services in CAD. In general our food prices (of all kinds) are quite a bit higher than what you pay. Lots of reasons for that but Ruth's Chris is very, very expensive for the quality. My city in particular is renowned for high-end steak places and those prices are just too high for a chain-restaurant experience.

Last edited:
Bottled water? Of course they do! Who doesn’t charge for bottled water? Ask for tap water.... it’s free!

Yeah, they just kept coming back and refilling our glasses over and over again without even asking, when my (ex-)boss took a group of us out for a pre-Christmas dinner.

My boss's wife eventually noticed what they were doing, and she insisted they bring us tap water. :love1:

Yeah, they just kept coming back and refilling our glasses over and over again without even asking, when my (ex-)boss took a group of us out for a pre-Christmas dinner.

My boss's wife eventually noticed what they were doing, and she insisted they bring us tap water. :love1:
That's an incredibly irksome tactic. Some restaurants, when you are seated, show up with bottles in hand and ask if you want "sparkling or still". You answer and of course end up paying for water if you didn't know enough to request tap water at that point. I guess it's pretty common now but it took us off-guard a few times when we first encountered it.

While the original is closed, the ones here are still very good IMO. Although my dad swore the original was the best ever. But maybe it’s like the Popeyes thing. I hear the Popeyes “abroad” aren’t as good as the ones here. Idk never eaten at either one outside of here.

Can’t compare those places with Ruth’s Chris in my opinion.
I don't see why not, they're all terrible chain restaurants...

That's an incredibly irksome tactic. Some restaurants, when you are seated, show up with bottles in hand and ask if you want "sparkling or still". You answer and of course end up paying for water if you didn't know enough to request tap water at that point. I guess it's pretty common now but it took us off-guard a few times when we first encountered it.

Yes, that's what I should have clarified was our problem with it.

I don't mind if a restaurant charges extra for bottled/sparkling water per se, as long as they're upfront about how that's the variety with which they're filling/refilling our glasses.

I seem to remember a local steakhouse up in Winnipeg that pretty much makes Ruth's Chris steaks pale in comparison. One thing you do have up there is some decent eateries.

I think she's saying the sides are included at other cheaper steak houses.

You’ve been here? You’re probably talking about Rae & Jerry’s. It’s so outdated it’s almost back in style lol

I can't necessarily account for the experiences that others have received, but I consider Ruth's Chris to be sort of a special occasion place. Outside of their bar menu, I wouldn't normally want to spend that kind of money unless it was something really special like a birthday or if maybe it was a reward from my employer. I guess even though it's a chain, the quality can still vary depending on the location and the individuals working at the time.

But the bar menu and happy hour are more than reasonable and an excellent bargain. The only issue is that at Ruth's Chris it's generally limited to the bar area, or some locations that had patio seating. I've taken my kid there and it was always tough finding a table. Not only that, but even solo it can be tough to get any seating at the bar because it's almost always been packed. And the rules are that one has to be seated before ordering any food, although one can order a drink (with drink specials) while waiting for a seat. And once I was with my wife and kid coming back from Tahoe. We managed to find one bar seat available, so my wife sat there and ordered for all of us. It was sometimes a free for all too where there could be hard feelings if someone took a seat when someone else was waiting longer. I heard at some locations they have a number system where everyone needs to check in first and get a number rather than how it worked before when anyone might just swoop in an take a seat/table before others who might have been waiting longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!