Running with a mask

dvcterry

DIS Veteran
I just received the email from NYC runs regarding running with a mask. I run in areas where there are no other people, residential streets around my house. Has anyone else started running with a mask?

I just received the email from NYC runs regarding running with a mask. I run in areas where there are no other people, residential streets around my house. Has anyone else started running with a mask?

I’m not sure why they would mandate running with masks if there are no other people around. The recommendations I have seen are for mask usage where maintaining social distancing isn’t possible.

I've tried a couple of times with limited success. I try to go at a slower pace, but it's hard to remember. On the last short run, I was a bit more used to it, so it didn't bother me quite as much. It sort of reminded me of running in Denver when I was out there a few years ago.

I have not run with one. Our state mandates them in businesses but not outside. I live in a rural area and near a state park, so it is very uncommon for me to encounter anyone. If I do, I can definitely stay six feet away.

If I had to run with one, I would probably just stay inside on my treadmill, as much as I don't want to do that.

I wear a running buff that covers my face. It's not my favorite, and I do occasionally have to pull it down to breathe and/or drink some water, but I can't avoid people (even on the residential streets, where I tend to see other runners or walkers), so I do what I have to.

I also got the NYCRuns email and I think it makes sense to run with a mask just in case, and only put it on if you see someone. Better safe than sorry. You never know when you'll run into another runner or someone walking their dog, and you don't want to be unprepared.

My county FAQ says explicitly that a mask is not required when running, but then later in the FAQ it says you should wear it if you can't socially distance. I run wide if I see anyone but also got some sweatbands to cover me in case I can't get enough distance.

I’m not sure why they would mandate running with masks if there are no other people around. The recommendations I have seen are for mask usage where maintaining social distancing isn’t possible.
I agree, at this time groups are not permitted to run and if you are by yourself I cannot see why just by being outside this would prompt the need for running with a mask on. Especially if others are not around and social distancing is followed.

We’re required to wear a mask anytime we’re outside our homes. Running with one on is highly uncomfortable for me because it gets wet & sweaty very quickly. The morning temps are now in the 80s which doesn’t help things either.
I can't imagine. I've worn it only for the short duration of being in a public place and even then it gets difficult to breathe quickly, but couldn't imagine wearing this breathing heavy in humidity while running.

I wear a running buff that covers my face. It's not my favorite, and I do occasionally have to pull it down to breathe and/or drink some water, but I can't avoid people (even on the residential streets, where I tend to see other runners or walkers), so I do what I have to.

I also got the NYCRuns email and I think it makes sense to run with a mask just in case, and only put it on if you see someone. Better safe than sorry. You never know when you'll run into another runner or someone walking their dog, and you don't want to be unprepared.
I grabbed my cloth washable one for the last long run to keep on hand as it was the weekend and sunny and figured I may encounter more people, but the few that were out were far away from me. Funny thing is, I was thinking of droplets in the air the whole time and kept trying to refocus my mind away from that and take in and enjoy the run.

I've tried a couple of times with limited success. I try to go at a slower pace, but it's hard to remember. On the last short run, I was a bit more used to it, so it didn't bother me quite as much. It sort of reminded me of running in Denver when I was out there a few years ago.
On cold winter days here, especially with a wind chill, I wear a face cover and love the coziness and warmth it brings. I run better in cooler weather as opposed to hot, humid temperatures. Breathing for me changes with each season and my body and lungs adjust. I'm not receptive to the mask during the entire run, but if needed I'll cover if social distancing can't be maintained.

I can't imagine. I've worn it only for the short duration of being in a public place and even then it gets difficult to breathe quickly, but couldn't imagine wearing this breathing heavy in humidity while running.

It's not much fun, that's for sure

Like many of us I live in a less congested area and have a rail trail nearby with a pretty wide track, as a train used to go on it. It's been easy to social distance.

Sometimes I go to a more wooded trail where you might be forced to get a bit more closer to someone you are passing. I know this is probably not proper mask usage, but for that trail I have been taking out a buff that I can pull up over my nose & mouth when someone is approaching. I do it more out of courtesy for others than to protect myself. Let me tell you, just having something over my nose & mouth for that minute raises my heart rate & breathing rate significantly and it takes me a few minutes to get back to normal each time. I don't see how anybody runs with a mask for any kind of distance. Kudos to anybody who can keep up their training in an area where you really need a mask.

I have a nationals "baby shark" headband that I will bring, most times I will pull it up on the occasion someone is near me. Mostly it just seems to ease peoples minds when you are huffing and puffing along the trails. Fortunately once I get through the first 2 miles I am out of the city and on trails or back roads so I rarely see too many people. I will say that wearing a mask even a thin buff like one has made running more difficult.

No way could I run with a mask here in central FL. I have a horse farm and use them when I'm working in the barn and they get wet, gross and hard to breath in real fast with the humidity here. I live in a very rural area and rarely see anyone when I run in the morning. On Saturday it is busier with bike riders and a handful of other runners so I just try and keep a wide berth around them.

I have a nationals "baby shark" headband that I will bring, most times I will pull it up on the occasion someone is near me. Mostly it just seems to ease peoples minds when you are huffing and puffing along the trails. Fortunately once I get through the first 2 miles I am out of the city and on trails or back roads so I rarely see too many people. I will say that wearing a mask even a thin buff like one has made running more difficult.
I like the headband idea.

I haven't run with a mask yet, and if I see anyone in my path, I leave the sidewalk and cross into the street until they're behind me. I also ride at dawn as it were, so, luckily, there hasn't been too many people to encounter.

Also, what does NYC Runs email say exactly?

I haven't run with a mask yet, and if I see anyone in my path, I leave the sidewalk and cross into the street until they're behind me. I also ride at dawn as it were, so, luckily, there hasn't been too many people to encounter.

Also, what does NYC Runs email say exactly?
If you don’t mind, we’d like to talk about how to run wearing a mask. There's been conflict here and there, and we hope we can come to some sort of common sense agreement.

Right now, in NYC, the rules say that if you come within 6 feet of another human being, you must be wearing some sort of mask or face covering. It can be anything from a piece of cloth to an N95 mask, the choice is yours. We love seeing you in those NYCRUNS Brooklyn Marathon & Half Marathon buffs, so please keep using those if you have one.

In cold weather, I don’t mind a face covering at all, but it’s getting to the point where it’s more nuisance than not, so this is only going to get harder. With that in mind, I’d like to suggest a few common sense rules we can all adopt going forward.
  • Always have a mask with you. No matter how good you are about avoiding other people, eventually that’s not going to work. Cover up before you get to close to someone.
  • Avoid running on the main drives and in the most crowded areas of the park, or if you have to, just get out there a bit earlier. This is a great time to explore lesser used park paths and the sidewalks. Just be careful and use common sense in any situation. Keep in mind, these paths and sidewalks may be narrower, so you may need to be a bit more proactive.
  • Don’t run in a group. If you have to run with a friend, definitely pick somewhere less crowded.
  • If you are running with the flow of pedestrian traffic (and keep in mind runners could be going both ways so in this case you are approaching from behind), give the runner in front of you the right of way. That means, it is incumbent upon you to make sure that there is at least 6’ of separation at all times. If you can’t do this – strap on the mask and don't take it off.
  • If you are running against the flow of pedestrian traffic (towards an oncoming runner), strap on that mask and try to maintain 6’ of distance. The other pedestrian might be clueless, so be proactive.

For some more basics, check out this Runners World article.

Gotta Run!
Steve & The Team At NYCRUNS

My county implemented mask requirements last week when out in public, but specifically state that they are not required during exercise. We are however strongly encouraged to have a mask on us for those times when we cannot observe the 6 feet rule.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!