Running while in port

ChipNDale86

Mouseketeer
I'm looking for advice from anyone who has ever got off the ship for a run while in port. We're going to be docked in Key West on May 5th and I wanted to get my normal Saturday long run in while we're there. I've already mapped out a route from the cruise port area and will feel comfortable since we'll still in the US and I can use my phone if I get lost or anything.

Is it generally fairly easy getting on and off to go for a run? I know I can't take food off the ship but what about water? I have a handheld water bottle I run with sometimes that I'd like to take considering it will probably be pretty warm down in the Keys! Can I fill that up on the ship or should I take it empty and find a gas station or something to buy a bottled water to fill it up with?

Any other bits of advice are greatly appreciated!

We've brought sealed water bottles off the ship with us and it was not a problem. I am guessing you can at a minimum bring an empty bottle and fill it on land but I would just try and bring it filled with you and if they make you dump it out then so be it but I am guessing they won't bother you or notice. It's really easy to get on and off the ship so I say go for it, especially if you have mapped a nice long run.

taking water off is not an issue ... on many cruises they have a table set up at the departure 'door' selling bottles for those who did not pre-plan. On some higher end cruises bottles are handed out as you leave the ship ... freebie

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has ever got off the ship for a run while in port. We're going to be docked in Key West on May 5th and I wanted to get my normal Saturday long run in while we're there. I've already mapped out a route from the cruise port area and will feel comfortable since we'll still in the US and I can use my phone if I get lost or anything.

Is it generally fairly easy getting on and off to go for a run? I know I can't take food off the ship but what about water? I have a handheld water bottle I run with sometimes that I'd like to take considering it will probably be pretty warm down in the Keys! Can I fill that up on the ship or should I take it empty and find a gas station or something to buy a bottled water to fill it up with?

Any other bits of advice are greatly appreciated!

Depending on which pier they dock at in Key West, you may not be able to run from the port area. If it is the Navy Pier, they will most likely make you take the shuttle bus to town to start your run, as the rest of the area around the pier is a military base.

taking water off is not an issue ... on many cruises they have a table set up at the departure 'door' selling bottles for those who did not pre-plan. On some higher end cruises bottles are handed out as you leave the ship ... freebie
Thanks, I'll keep my eyes open for water when getting off.

Depending on which pier they dock at in Key West, you may not be able to run from the port area. If it is the Navy Pier, they will most likely make you take the shuttle bus to town to start your run, as the rest of the area around the pier is a military base.
Thanks, good to know! The port was a little confusing when I was looking at it on Google Maps so this makes a lot of sense.

You can take your own filled refillable bottle with you when you get off. I don't think they're concerned with water contaminating anything. lol.

Key west is super easy to get around and the island isn't that large. You can go south to the southern most point, and then go east along the southern edge. There is a nice wide path for joggers, bikers, etc. It goes along some beaches and all the way to the airport. Not sure if it encircles the island or not.

I've done long runs in St Thomas as well, from one pier to the other. Don't remember the distance, but again, super easy and sidewalks the entire way. Gets a little sketchy towards the western port, but I never felt unsafe (male).

Key west is super easy to get around and the island isn't that large. You can go south to the southern most point, and then go east along the southern edge. There is a nice wide path for joggers, bikers, etc. It goes along some beaches and all the way to the airport. Not sure if it encircles the island or not.

I've done long runs in St Thomas as well, from one pier to the other. Don't remember the distance, but again, super easy and sidewalks the entire way. Gets a little sketchy towards the western port, but I never felt unsafe (male).

Thanks, I think that path is where I mapped out a nice route. It pretty much circles the airport. I'll have to take a few side streets to get to and from the port area but then the vast majority should be on the path. I'm excited to run along the shoreline!

Thanks, I think that path is where I mapped out a nice route. It pretty much circles the airport. I'll have to take a few side streets to get to and from the port area but then the vast majority should be on the path. I'm excited to run along the shoreline!

The only port I've gotten off for a run was Castaway Cay. Several others I have done laps around Deck 4 or run on the treadmill in the gym (much easier than when at sea and the ship is moving). At CC in March this year, I got back off in the afternoon about 3 or so and ran the whole island (as far as you are allowed to go, from the security checkpoint and back). As far as taking off water, many/most people bring water off the ship in the Caribbean for their excursions. I wouldn't think twice about getting that run in while in Key West.

This. Every cruise I've taken to Key West (admittedly not on Disney) there has been a mandatory shuttle I've had to ride into town.

Once in town I would not hesitate to run as a woman by myself.

This. Every cruise I've taken to Key West (admittedly not on Disney) there has been a mandatory shuttle I've had to ride into town.

Once in town I would not hesitate to run as a woman by myself.

When we stopped in Key West on the Magic in 2009, we docked at the main dock near downtown. That would have been an ideal place from which to run, as it was about a 5-10 minute walk to where the tram starts. I have no idea if they still dock there or not.

This is a picture of the Post Office, that we walked past on the way to the tram.

upload_2018-4-26_13-24-20.png

We were on the Magic in March and it docked on the Navy Pier. We all had to take the tram (essentially a train on regular tires) to a drop off point in town.

We were on the Magic in March and it docked on the Navy Pier. We all had to take the tram (essentially a train on regular tires) to a drop off point in town.

Sometimes they dock there and sometimes at the main pier. Both times, we've docked at the main pier. I think you can find out somewhere before you dock which one you go to but I don't recall the website. I'm sure someone else can point it out.

Sometimes they dock there and sometimes at the main pier. Both times, we've docked at the main pier. I think you can find out somewhere before you dock which one you go to but I don't recall the website. I'm sure someone else can point it out.
There are three cruise ship docks in Key West, two right near Mallory Square and the third at the Naval Base. Here’s a link to the schedule: http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/keywestschedule2018.html.

Mallory Square and Pier B are adjacent and a short walk from downtown. The Old Mole pier is on the Naval Base and requires a shuttle. We docked at Pier B twice and Old Mole once on our three cruises that stopped at Key West.

OP, the Magic will be at Pier B on May 5th. Enjoy your cruise and your run.

There are three cruise ship docks in Key West, two right near Mallory Square and the third at the Naval Base. Here’s a link to the schedule: http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/keywestschedule2018.html.

Mallory Square and Pier B are adjacent and a short walk from downtown. The Old Mole pier is on the Naval Base and requires a shuttle. We docked at Pier B twice and Old Mole once on our three cruises that stopped at Key West.

OP, the Magic will be at Pier B on May 5th. Enjoy your cruise and your run.

Thanks so much, this is so helpful!!!!

I've run in several parts Key West included. It's very easy. I've never run in any of the Caribbean. It's too hot and most of the aren't safe, but Alaska and European ports were great.

Several others I have done laps around Deck 4 or run on the treadmill in the gym (much easier than when at sea and the ship is moving).

On my last cruise, I found that often when we were in port, they would be doing lifeboat maintenance or prep, and the running track on Deck 4 was partially closed, resulting in people running the wrong way.

On my last cruise, I found that often when we were in port, they would be doing lifeboat maintenance or prep, and the running track on Deck 4 was partially closed, resulting in people running the wrong way.

I've seen that happen as well. That's when I head to the gym and finish my run on a treadmill.

Just an update from the cruise:

I did get off at Key West to run. We did end up docking at Pier B and it was super easy just to get right into the run after walking past the main set of shops. Getting off the ship was a breeze. I took my (empty) handheld water bottle and a sealed bottle of Disani (just in case) and they didn't saw a single word to me about anything. Once I was off I just poured the Disani into my bottle and took off.

It wasn't that hot but boy was it humid. I could barely see at times due to all the sweat in my eyes. Overall it was pretty easy town to run in. I basically run from the ship to Duval St --> Eaton St --> Palm Ave --> N. Roosevelt Blvd and just turned around when I was ready to head back. I think there were sidewalks on all of it and Roosevelt has a huge sidewalk right beside the water which was nice.

Got back to the ship and again had no issues getting back on. I still had a little water left in my bottle and again they didn't say anything about that either, just made sure I didn't put the bottle through the scanner and carried it myself through the metal detector.

Thanks for all the advice. I was worried about nothing (which is usually the case)!

Thanks for the update. I trust the Magic was left in fine shape as you debarked. We leave for Miami mid-day tomorrow and board her on Sunday for the EBTA. Time for me to start thinking about packing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter