Running/Walking shoes?

dylans mommy

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!

I am just getting back into working out and I need new shoes. I have worked my way up to walking a 5k every day. Today was my first day of running and I can definitely tell I need new shoes!

What are your favorite running/walking shoes?

Thank you so much for all of your help!

I would highly recommend going to a running store to get fitted for shoes. They should be able to tell you which ones are best for your feet. :) Congrats on getting back out there!

I would highly recommend going to a running store to get fitted for shoes. They should be able to tell you which ones are best for your feet. :) Congrats on getting back out there!
Thank you for the recommendation! I will have to go to the local running store next week!

Thank you for the recommendation! I will have to go to the local running store next week!
I mean, I could tell you which ones I like, but there's a good chance my feet are way different than yours - the shoes I like may hurt your feet!

A good "fitting" involves them looking at you barefoot while you stand (to see if your arches collapse in - mine do) and sometimes they will watch you run/walk. This would help them make recommendations on which shoes are good for you. :)

That's awesome to hear how they do it! I never realized there was some where that actually did that. (Can you tell I am new to working out again :) ) It makes total sense to me why I definitely need to go to a local running store. I found a running store near my house and am going to go tomorrow! After my run today the bottoms of my feet hurt so I know I definitely need new shoes!

I want a good fit so I can do this for a long time. My ultimate goal is RunDisney event so I think good shoes will help me achieve that! Thank you so much for all of your help and taking your time to tell me how it all works!

I've seen decent shoes run from $120-$160 at my running store - based upon brand, stability, etc.

I am not price sensitive - I'd rather spend the money and get a good pair of shoes that fit than to skimp on cost and get something that hurts my feet or gives me an injury!

Also, to help with price, I go to a running store and get fitted the first time. Once I find a model I like, I can replace them by looking at sales at other places, online, etc. But if you're not sure exactly what model and size you need, definitely get fitted the first time :) And plan on a lot of time while there. I was surprised at how much time they took with me, bringing me lots of different types and sizes of shoes, so that I could find the ones that work the best.

If you find a brand you like as well, be sure to sign up for their website's mailing list! Often running shoe companies like Saucony, Brooks, Mizuno, etc.. will have online specials. Or if it's a bigger brand like Nike/Adidas you can check outlet stores. Running stores in my city often do shoe trials as part of their group run nights, so you may want to see if a local running store does that as well if you're ever interested in trying out other shoes for a literal "test run".

My favourite shoes right now are Brooks Transcend. They are supportive and super cushion-y. I find them really nice to run on. Pretty much the same weight as Adrenalines but plush on your feet. I don't find them bulky though.

Running shoes fall into a few categories. They may be supportive (hard soles that stop your feet from rolling when you step down) or cushioning (soft soles that cushion the impact of your step). Most people either pronate (roll to the inside of their foot) or have supination (underpronation, where the foot doesn't roll enough to the inside of your arch). The folks at a good running store will either watch you run or have you run on a treadmill while they video tape your gait (how you run). When the tape is slowed down you can see the foot strike (how your foot hits the ground) and decide how to correct it for a neutral foot strike.

Some brands are known for being more firm and supportive while others are known for being almost not there. Most running shoes cost between $90 and $150, but you can find them on sale for $60 to $75. Be warned that some of the colors are bright and ummm, a little crazy.

You may find that your needs change over time, so it's best to get to know your local running store. I started running in Saucony Grid Stabil (one of the most supportive, hard shoes on the market) and now run in an ASIC Nimbus (a very cushioned shoe) with orthotics.

I'll add my 2-cents as well .... When you get your shoes, if you start feeling pain in your shins/knees, don't discount the obvious, it really could be the shoes. Pay attention to the heel/toe drop and go a different direction.

I went from a 12mm drop to a 4mm drop before I understood what the hell it was. This was not a good plan. My pain started almost immediately and like a dumb ***, I tried to run through it. After consulting my local shoe store advisor, I now run in 8mm drop shoes quite pain free.

Good luck and start with something you like! Even if they turn out to not be good running shoes, they'll make good gym shoes!

Brian

I love New Balance (not just because they have cute Disney shoes). When I was properly fitted for running shoes, the pair I ended up with was made by NB. I walked a lot on the outsides of my feet so I preferred shoes that had a lot of cushion. Once those wore out, I went back for another fitting and found that my ankles roll in and I don't walk as much on the outsides of my feet (yay weight loss!). I think I'll be a NB girl for awhile. :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter