Running Shoes

Brooks Ghost for me.

As far as getting fitted, I like to do the following:

Before getting fitted, I will pick 2 or 3 shoe using a shoe finder. Runner's World usually has one.

If the running store doesn't recommend one of those 2 or 3, I will do some additional research before taking their recommendation.

Exciting to see all you Ghost runners! I run in them, along with the Hoka Cliftons and Hoka Speedgoats depending on terrain and distance. The other day at the WDW Marathon a runner pasted me saying that he liked my shoes. I was a bit out of it at the moment (it was on Army Man Hill) and it took me a moment to notice that he too was running in Ghosts, same version and color scheme. Not sure I got the words out or just thought them - but I wanted to say “awesone shoes”, probably just grunted.

I used to love Brooks Ghost until 2015. They changed the toe box and even the wide was still too narrow in the toe for me. I changed to Glycerins then again they did something to the toe box for 2016. I ended up with my first pair of New Balance 1080 and never tried another shoe again. I need to retire a pair of shoes so maybe I'll give the Ghosts another look.
Do you overpronate when you run? I was looking at New Balance for overpronation shoes but wasn't sure which shoes I should get.

I agree on getting fitted by a running store. If you've got the time and have multiple store options I'd suggest getting opinions at two different places. The more I've talked to the pros at running stores, some like to push certain brands too. I ended up caving to a guy that was really pushing Brooks even though I didn't think it was my favorite of the options I tried on. But I guess that's on me!

I'd also add that it's good to be re-fitted after a year or two of consistent running. As I became more efficient my stride and gait changed slightly enough that I had different recommendations from one year to the next.

Getting fitted makes all the difference! Love my Hoka Clifton's!

YES. I have RA, and my knees have always been my problem spots for flare-ups. My doctor suggested Hokas and they have been life changing. Can’t sing enough praises to my Cliftons.

I was lucky where my last two pairs I bought off the rack and they were a perfect fit. I was new to running and didn't know any better. I've owned Nike's and Brooks. Moving forward, as much as I like the Nike's, I'll be moving forward with Brooks only. They are much better, in my opinion. They are better constructed and seem to last longer. The next pair of Brooks I get will be fitted for certain.

I've been wearing Saucony Triumph forever and a day. It's to the point where I don't even have to try them on. I just go to my running store and head to the rack where they keep the last year's models and hope they have a pair there. They always work for me. I've always wanted to wear Brooks, because that's my last name. Sadly, I just can't find a pair of Brooks that feel good on me.

Like everyone else - go get a fitting! I was in such severe pain training for my first marathon that after nine miles, I couldn't bear weight on my right knee. I had developed ITB syndrome. The guy at the running store analyzed my gait and recommended a pair of Saucony's and told me I'd do 9 miles the next day with no pain. I was HIGHLY skeptical, but that guy was 100% correct, and I'm now a believer. :) Since then I've moved into Mizuno's and only have an issue when I wait too long to get a new pair.

Related question though - for the distance runners in here (marathon and ultra), how often do you go through a pair of shoes? I seem to be burning through them every 5 months or so. Just curious how this rates to other people's shoe lifespan?

Had another fitting today and wound up back in Mizuno Wave Riders.

@AerialGael I consistently get 800km/500 miles from my Riders.

Like everyone else - go get a fitting! I was in such severe pain training for my first marathon that after nine miles, I couldn't bear weight on my right knee. I had developed ITB syndrome. The guy at the running store analyzed my gait and recommended a pair of Saucony's and told me I'd do 9 miles the next day with no pain. I was HIGHLY skeptical, but that guy was 100% correct, and I'm now a believer. :) Since then I've moved into Mizuno's and only have an issue when I wait too long to get a new pair.

Related question though - for the distance runners in here (marathon and ultra), how often do you go through a pair of shoes? I seem to be burning through them every 5 months or so. Just curious how this rates to other people's shoe lifespan?

About 500 miles, or 5-6 months. And then they become work shoes.

I've found I'm in that "run in anything" group. I just buy whatever shoes are on sale and have cool colors. I've tried all the big brands, and they pretty much feel the same to me. In 10K miles since I started keeping a log 4.5 years ago, I've never had a foot issue. I think a lot of it is the stride - my stride is fairly short, and I tend to land on my forefoot, so my impact is fairly minimal.
I am in the same boat although recently I have been sticking with Asics only because I am more familiar with their line. But I have never been fitted. I just buy shoes that feel comfortable. And I have never had a pair of shoes that made me feel uncomfortable running at any distance. I am 99% sure I am a neutral runner based on my stride and how my shoes wear and by the fact that I can wear multiple types of shoes and not have a problem. I just bought a couple of pairs of Asics Nimbus 19's because i got them on clearance for $55 which is a freakin' steal for those shoes. They are so comfortable!!

Nike Terra Kiger 4's for me. I bought them to do trail running but I like them so much I wore them at the last Wine and Dine HM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!