Running in the Mitten & Beyond!

Stress, quality sleep, calorie deficit or quality of recent nutrition? Just seeing if we can identify a root cause.

I forgot to mention, I gave blood last week Wednesday, so that could be a factor for the last week, but doesn't really explain the two weeks prior. I have had some work stress, but nutrition and everything else is normal.

I think regardless of the cause though we need to make a pivot quick to see if we can force a reset before Chicago. You still have 5.5 weeks, so there's still time. From today through 9/14, only walking, no running. And walk for 1/2 the duration of what was originally scheduled. So this weekend will not be 90+107 min and instead 45+53 min of walking. Let's see if that drop in intensity and volume helps you feel better. I'd certainly expect some fatigue given we're in the peak of training, but not to the point that you can't get pace under EB. How does that sound?

I think this sounds good. Thanks Billy!

I forgot to mention, I gave blood last week Wednesday, so that could be a factor for the last week, but doesn't really explain the two weeks prior. I have had some work stress, but nutrition and everything else is normal.

I'm at a loss then, and at this moment I'd chalk it up to general fatigue. Let's see how you feel after the week of walking. Something else may be a play, but not quite sure what it is yet.

I read somewhere a couple of years ago that giving blood definitely affects running performance. I don't think this is what I read, but it's similar: https://runnersconnect.net/blood-donation-running-performance/ No, it doesn't explain anything prior to when you donated blood, but the blood donation could be prolonging things.

I read somewhere a couple of years ago that giving blood definitely affects running performance. I don't think this is what I read, but it's similar: https://runnersconnect.net/blood-donation-running-performance/ No, it doesn't explain anything prior to when you donated blood, but the blood donation could be prolonging things.

Thanks for that article. I admit I was hesitant to donate while marathon training, but there is a huge need for blood donations in our area right now and with me being O neg, they are always calling & emailing me. Plus, the blood drive was in my building at work, so I figured I might as well go donate on company time. :-)

And you're right, it's likely prolonging things.

Thanks for that article. I admit I was hesitant to donate while marathon training, but there is a huge need for blood donations in our area right now and with me being O neg, they are always calling & emailing me. Plus, the blood drive was in my building at work, so I figured I might as well go donate on company time. :-)

And you're right, it's likely prolonging things.

It all sounds like you're building up a good excuse..."Well, I couldn't have the marathon that I wanted because I was SAVING LIVES..." :) Hopefully you can keep it in that perspective.

I’m still here! :flower1:

Hey just checking in here and hope you're doing ok...

Thanks for checking on me!

I took about 10 days off from running to try and heal up some aches & pains, and also to get rid of some unusual fatigue I was experiencing the last few weeks. So I just did some walking and some yoga, and I jumped on the elliptical once as well. I think it helped. I'm starting to feel like my old self again. I don't think I'm quite back to full strength though, but I feel like things are headed in the right direction anyway.

This morning I ran The Bridge Run 10 Miler. The plan called for running this race at LR pace. Funny thing though, when you haven't looked at your training plan in several days, you sort of forget what your paces are, so in my mind LR pace was 10:30, which is what it was the last training cycle, but for this plan it's actually 10:45. Oops! :laughing:

Anyways, I managed to pull off the 10:30 pace. It wasn't as easy as it should've been, but I felt pretty decent throughout and nothing was hurting, so yay for that.
2D142A28-0870-4E7F-956E-D1CDF9DBFFF7.png

I haven't ran this race since 2016 and I forgot how much I enjoy this course - it's mostly flat and you go over 3 historic truss bridges. I was terrible and only took one picture at the end of Angie & I. The medals were just okay and seemed very small after running North Country last month. :-)

3FEA18C5-95D2-43FF-B8DE-C15ADC95F321.jpeg

I was very hungry when I got home. I made myself a bagel/fried egg sandwich and a pumpkin spice donut smothered in cream cheese frosting.
A379A599-85C6-4963-BE9F-A82C07A72AC5.jpeg

Next week: I'm hoping to jump back into training. Only 4 weeks until Chicago!!!

I was very hungry when I got home. I made myself a bagel/fried egg sandwich and a pumpkin spice donut smothered in cream cheese frosting.
View attachment 435904

Next week: I'm hoping to jump back into training. Only 4 weeks until Chicago!!!

Congrats on your race! But I was writing more to say that OMG your after-race breakfast looks amazing. I may have to remember that for the future. :)

I hope you start feeling better with the rest of your training plan.

Congrats on your race! But I was writing more to say that OMG your after-race breakfast looks amazing. I may have to remember that for the future. :)

I hope you start feeling better with the rest of your training plan.

Thanks! That's my "go-to" late breakfast after a long run or race. My favorite donuts are from our favorite apple orchard (we picked apples yesterday) and their donuts are so amazing! It's probably a good thing I can only get them in Sept/Oct every year.

Two weeks to Chicago!!

Training has not exactly gone well. Even though I am feeling better overall, I was hit hard with allergies recently, and then my left IT band has been bothering me, so I'm struggling to get the miles in, but I am getting most of them in. Also, I'm basically ignoring all paces at this point - speed is just not what my body wants to do right now. The good news is, my shins seems to be holding up okay and haven't bothered me since I took that break a couple of weeks ago.

I managed to get most of peak weak done, but because I had to travel for my cousin's wedding, my back to back 8 & 14 milers had to be shifted, and due to time constraints, it ended up being 6.5 & 13 miles. Then this past weekend I was to do back to back 8 & 8 milers, but due to never ending rain, I only managed 7 & 5 miles. It is what it is.

I know that the chances of a PR are slim to none and I'm okay with that. My focus has shifted to just enjoying the experience, however long it takes me. I'm going to have a "runDisney-like" attitude! And if I start to struggle, I will start looking for beer. :laughing:

I'm trying not to be obsessed with the weather yet, but I am starting to stress about what to wear. The March of Dimes is giving us these shirts:

3BC94C08-810F-4CEB-BCF0-4A26DF6EF16A.png

The problem is, I don't get the shirt until I pick up my bib, so I don't get to test it out, or if it's even going to fit right. I want to wear it, and it looks like a similar cut to a couple of Nike tanks I already have, but I just won't know until I try it on. Has anyone ever tried anything new on race day and have it work out? :P

I'm trying not to be obsessed with the weather yet, but I am starting to stress about what to wear. The March of Dimes is giving us these shirts:

View attachment 440222

The problem is, I don't get the shirt until I pick up my bib, so I don't get to test it out, or if it's even going to fit right. I want to wear it, and it looks like a similar cut to a couple of Nike tanks I already have, but I just won't know until I try it on. Has anyone ever tried anything new on race day and have it work out? :P

For the Shamrock Marathon that I did in March, I was planning on a tank top. But the forecast of wind + temp scared me into wearing the long-sleeve tech shirt they give for the race. That turned out fine. I didn't have any chafing or other issues due to the shirt - it fit well to slightly loose. I did wish in the end, however, that I had worn the tank top because the Sun came out.

But I totally agree - I'd be wary of wearing it. Maybe you can wear it over a short-sleeve T that you know is OK?

Taper madness in full effect...

I had my first marathon nightmare last night. I was running along, enjoying the crowd & the course, but when I got to mile 20 everyone around me started slowly disappearing until I was the only one left. Then the sky turned very dark and purple, with weird floating things in the air - very much like an episode of Stranger Things. :laughing: Thankfully my alarm went off before some crazy beast sucked me into another dimension.

So bizarre! o_O

That weather looks perfect!
Unrelated but we had a yoga instructor come speak to our running group and it inspired me to start small with some *very* simple poses. I'm so inflexible I can barely do these but I want you to know your yoga advocacy helped sway me too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!