Running in the Mitten & Beyond!

Thank you! The weather is finally starting to get nice here. Enjoy!

Thanks! I was initially mad when I had that big slowdown, but I'm not one to dwell on it. I just shifted my priorities to finding the beer. :D:drinking1
I have a lot to learn from you about not getting mad when I have a slowdown lol. I'm working on it! You race kind of often which probably helps to move you on to the next thing. You'll get em next time I know it.

I have a lot to learn from you about not getting mad when I have a slowdown lol. I'm working on it! You race kind of often which probably helps to move you on to the next thing. You'll get em next time I know it.

Well it took from mile 9 to mile 13 for me to stop being mad, LOL, but yes, there's always next time. :thumbsup2

May 13-19 Update

I am currently working without a training plan, which I have mixed feelings about. It feels sort of liberating and yet I feel a little lost too. It's only been one week so I figure I'll just wing it for another week or two, then contact Coach @DopeyBadger for my Chicago Marathon plan!!! :D

My quads were unusually sore after the 25K so I took a full 5 days off from running and focused on stretching. We also have a step/walking challenge going on at work this month, so I have been shooting for at least 15,000 steps a day. I'm finding that's very easy to meet on the days that I run, but I really need to step it up (pun intended) on the days I don't run.

Monday

Walked 2 miles with coworkers
Yoga (30 min)
Walked 1 mile with Winnie

Tuesday

Yoga (20 min)

Wednesday

Elliptical (40 min)
Yoga (20 min)

Thursday

Yoga (60 min)

Friday

Run 3.5 miles (Av pace 10:42)
Yoga (20 min)

Saturday

Girls on the Run 5K

I ran with Allison and the rest of her 5th grade team. All of the girls did awesome. I was a parent helper to the coach during their Monday practices, so I got to know these girls well. I'm so proud of them. They did such a great job of encouraging each other during the race and congratulating each other afterward.

Before the race:
48AE70F1-ED82-4F68-AC95-06DB7046AB2A.jpeg

I let her lead and told her it was okay to take walk breaks whenever needed. She has a heart condition, and even though she doesn't have any specific restrictions, we have to watch her closely when doing a lot of physical activity, like running or swimming. She seemed to do just fine with the walking/running intervals.
F8829D02-CE06-4D1C-A70C-0099087B7A67.jpeg D1B79D51-9480-4BD9-8591-C279EBE41E0F.jpeg

Heading to the finish line!
53CAE827-1524-4134-AC35-60D263D7C0A5.jpeg

Bling and a banana!
9135611F-C418-46B2-95A1-85B411C1C621.jpeg

Her second 5K complete! We ran it in about 38 minutes. She said she might want to try a 10K next.:love:

Sunday

Run 4 miles (av pace 10:33)
Yoga (20 min)

Getting ready to watch the final episode of Game of Thrones. I don't know how they are going to wrap that up in 80 minutes, but hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Chicago Marathon Prelude

Marathon training started this week! I have a new DopeyBadger training plan, which I'll detail more in another post, but right now I'd like to give you the backstory on why I decided to run for charity.

In November of 2017, my friends & I entered the lottery for the 2018 Chicago marathon along with many others on these boards. I didn't get selected, but one of my friends did. I was bummed, so I thought I would take a look at some of the charity teams to see if there was one that I could be passionate about. My oldest son, Ben, was born very premature, so when I saw that the March of Dimes had a team, I quickly contacted them. Unfortunately their team was already full, but the chairperson said she would keep my information for the next year.

Fast forward to October of 2018 when I received an email from that same March of Dimes chairperson asking me if I'd like to join their team for the 2019 Chicago Marathon. I was very impressed that she still had my info and of course I said yes! Fundraising for a foundation that funds research for preemie babies is a cause very near & dear to my heart.

About Ben

I had a very normal pregnancy. There was no indication that anything was wrong until the day Ben was born. For unknown reasons I went into spontaneous premature labor and he was delivered by emergency C-section at just 24 weeks gestation (16 weeks early). He weighed 2lbs 2oz and he spent 93 days in the NICU. He faced many challenges and we saw many doctors, but by age 5 he had finally caught up to his peers and had a clean bill of health. If you saw him today, you would never guess that he had such an early and rough start in life. This year he turns 16 on October 13th, which is coincidentally also the day I'll be Running for Babies at the Chicago Marathon.

Fundraising
Here is the link to my fundraising page if any of you would like to donate to this amazing charity:

https://secure.e2rm.com/registrant/...ssionExpired.aspx%3feID%3d249559%26lp%3den-CA

I know a couple of you have already donated, so THANK YOU again, I truly appreciate it!!

Guess what I did today...

EE0748BB-E3CD-4B4E-91C5-507108885C00.png

I’m bringing my friend Angie with me - she’s a runDisney newbie. We are doing the Goofy Challenge. Her & I have run so many races together over the last few years and she loves Disney, so it was about time for her to experience running down Main Street.

We haven’t booked flights or a room yet, but we will likely have that figured out soon. I’m so excited!! I absolutely love then energy of Marathon Weekend!

Marathon Training & Life Update

I've almost got 3 weeks of training done. Those weeks just flew by with end of the school year activities and Sam's travel baseball schedule. I feel like this summer is going way too fast already!

Marathon training plan details:

Training paces
WU/CD - 12:39
EA - 11:51
EB - 11:04
LR - 10:46
M Tempo - 9:53
HM Tempo - 9:28
Daniels T - 9:07
10K - 9:04
5K - 8:41
Daniels I - 8:23
Daniels R - 7:56
CV - 8:56

Weekly schedule
Mon - REST
Tues - RUN
Wed - RUN
Thurs - YOGA
Fri - ELLIPTICAL
Sat - RUN
Sun - RUN

We decided I should stick with running just 4 days a week. In the past, whenever I would try to run 5 days a week, I always ended up injured, so it works better if I do that 5th day on the elliptical. I also usually do a few mini yoga sessions at home interspersed over the week as well, with Thursday being an hour long yoga class.

June 3-9
Mon - Gentle yoga (30 min)
Tues - Run 5 miles @EA, yoga (20 min)
Wed - Run 5.1 miles Progression
Thurs - Yoga (60 min)
Fri - Elliptical (40 min)
Sat - Run 5 mile @EB + strides, yoga (20 min)
Sun - Run 8 miles @LR

June 10-16
Mon - Gentle yoga (30 min)
Wed - Run 5.4 miles Progression
Thurs - Yoga (60 min)
Fri - Elliptical (45 min)
Sat - Run 5 miles @EB + strides
Sun - Run 9 miles @LR

June 17 - 23
Mon - Gentle yoga (35 min)
Wed - Run 5 miles Progression
Thurs - Yoga (60 min)
Fri - Elliptical (40 min), yoga (25 min)
Sat - Run 7 miles @EB + strides
Sun - Run 11 miles (10 miles @LR + 1 mile @M Tempo) - It is going to be a challenge getting this run in with baseball games tomorrow morning and possibly one in the afternoon, so I'll plan on doing it in the evening.

So...so far, so good. I'm hitting all of the prescribed paces mostly, EA is a little fast, but that's not unusual for me early in the plan.

Next up:
Next week will be another busy one with a couple of weekday doubleheaders, plus we are getting our camper ready and stocked to go camping for 8 days. We'll be spending the week up at Lake Charlevoix and I am so looking forward to it. I've heard our campground has great trails to run, so I'm excited to try out my new trail running shoes. Plus, I found a race to run up there: Boyne City Independence Day 10K - it looks like a smaller race, but it is supposed to have great views along the lake. So between the trails, the campground loops, and the 10K race, I shouldn't have any trouble getting my runs in.

Marathon Training & Life Update

I've almost got 3 weeks of training done. Those weeks just flew by with end of the school year activities and Sam's travel baseball schedule. I feel like this summer is going way too fast already!

Marathon training plan details:

Training paces
WU/CD - 12:39
EA - 11:51
EB - 11:04
LR - 10:46
M Tempo - 9:53
HM Tempo - 9:28
Daniels T - 9:07
10K - 9:04
5K - 8:41
Daniels I - 8:23
Daniels R - 7:56
CV - 8:56

We have disturbingly similar paces in our DopeyBadger training plans. Mine is a combo plan for a 5K that was on Memorial Day and a HM on July 14. But, these are the same paces that I've had since December when I started training for my marathon on March 17 (which I did not hit my predicted time for).

WU/CD 12:43
EA 11:56
EB 11:08
LR 11:50
M Tempo 9:56
HM Tempo 9:32
T 9:11
5K 8:44
I 8:19
R 7:46

It's so funny to see paces just a few seconds apart. But makes me wonder why you've got faster paces than me by a few seconds for everything except I and R...I expect DopeyBadger will chime in on that.

Sounds like you are getting a good start on your marathon plan! You must have crazy humidity there. It is so draining on summer runs.

It's so funny to see paces just a few seconds apart. But makes me wonder why you've got faster paces than me by a few seconds for everything except I and R...I expect DopeyBadger will chime in on that.

I think he was basing my paces on my half marathon PR of 2:05, but I'm sure @DopeyBadger will have a more scientific answer. :laughing:

Sounds like you are getting a good start on your marathon plan! You must have crazy humidity there. It is so draining on summer runs.

We actually haven't had much humidity until this past weekend...I was absolutely melting on my long run yesterday. I can usual tolerate it well as long as I get the runs done in the morning before the sun gets too high, but yesterday I had to sandwich the run in between morning baseball games and evening rain...it was miserable. :crazy2:

I think he was basing my paces on my half marathon PR of 2:05, but I'm sure @DopeyBadger will have a more scientific answer. :laughing:

The calculator I wrote adjusts based on the input given. So if you use a 5k input, 10k input, HM input or M input the paces can change for 3k/mile. As it views a 5k time and HM time from a race equivalency standpoint as slightly differently.

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 11.21.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 11.22.04 AM.png

4 hour M input

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 11.22.56 AM.png

vs a 25:01 5k input

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 11.23.17 AM.png

The 3k and mile time are based on a Riegel R of 1.075 and 1.08. Which means I expect someone with a marathon input of 4 hours to be slightly faster at 3k/mile than I do someone with a 25:01 5k but 4 hour marathon equivalent. It's a very small adjustment.

Similar thinking on the "predicted ranges" model in the middle. Someone with a marathon input of 4 hours is predicted at 4 hours (lol). But someone with a race equivalent 5k at 25:01 is predicted at 3:59 to 4:50 because they haven't shown the endurance necessary to justify a tighter window on the prediction. So the model predicts a huge window. Someone who can run 4 hours in the marathon very likely can run a 25:01 5k. But someone who runs a 25:01 5k doesn't necessarily mean they can run a 4 hour marathon.

Back from camping...

I actually did pretty good at running while on vacation. I'm usually really bad at this, so this is huge. I did have to cut 2 of my 5 milers down to 4 and 4.5 miles, but hey, I did them. I was a little bummed that the majority of the trails at Young State Park were flooded. The Great Lakes are experiencing record high lake levels and because Lake Charlevoix is connected to Lake Michigan, this state park has lost a lot of beach and many areas are flooded. So my new trails shoes didn't get as many miles as I had hoped, but we managed to find a 3 mile loop one day that was mostly dry.

0724103A-5293-4BB7-845C-F90DF46A1AB0.jpeg

On the 4th of July, my friend Karla and I ran the Boyne City Independence Day 10K. It was warm, humid, and sunny that morning, and that is like the trio of death for me, so I decided to just see how I felt pace-wise. I ran fairly hard, but I was holding back knowing we had a long, busy day ahead. I finished with a time of 1:00:04. I can't help but be a little pissed off that I couldn't shave off 5 seconds somewhere to get in under an hour, but whatever, it was hot.

I didn't take many pictures, but we both dressed patriotically with sparkle skirts. It was a pretty course along the lake.
54F2B223-0240-4B12-B2AA-07855E3D692A.jpeg
FC9F58CA-7B50-4654-91E0-A889C09DFD48.jpeg

Overall it was a great week of camping with family & friends, and a pretty successful week of running, with some kayaking and hiking thrown in.

Here are some pics of one of our hikes up an old ski mountain. The young man in the middle is my nephew.
DA2AC9C2-80A4-4B4F-B01D-EE2AC18B822F.jpeg
729C4C08-06E7-42BC-9D4E-BEAE34640659.jpeg

And the sunsets were absolutely gorgeous every night...
49765DB4-F17F-4351-9BD6-E9EE847F823B.jpeg

Back to reality, marathon training, and travel baseball!!

Its been way too long since I've commented on anyone's journal. Congrats on registering for Goofy! My good friend from college is running the 5K and the half (her first) with me while I do Dopey. Most of my runs/races are solo so I'm looking forward to a fun experience with her.

Good luck on your Chicago training! All three of my kids were born early (oldest - five weeks, twins - eight weeks) and it is a hard thing to go through. Glad you are able to run with a charity that has a special meaning to you.

Congrats to your daughter on her 5K! My oldest is showing some interest in running and its so cool to see him gain confidence in it.

Training & other updates

Here is my finisher pic from the BC 10K on the 4th of July - not the greatest, but it shows my patriotic colors nicely.
95BE05C1-6931-46AE-8B30-4CE9B4418A3B.jpeg

July 8-14
Mon - Yoga (45 min)
Tues - Run 5.2 miles
Wed - Run 4.5 miles (CV) + Yoga (25 min)
Thurs - Off
Fri - Elliptical (30 min)
Sat - Dirty Burg 10K
Angie & I ran this one to get some trail running in. I was trying out a new pair of Merrell trail shoes I bought on clearance (only $40). They were comfortable, but they had more tread on the bottom than my other trail shoes, and I don't think I needed that extra tread on this course, so as a result I tripped many times and fell twice. No harm done, but I was covered in sand and dirt! The last half mile of this course they had us going up the ski hill and back down. We both decided that since there was no finisher bling, we likely wont be signing up for that torture again. :crazy2:

The Dirty Burg lived up to it's name - I was so dirty.
5125256E-5A62-4420-9237-651E5EFBA919.jpeg

Sun - Run 10 miles + kayaking.

My sister & I and our families went for a float down the river. This is one of our favorite things to do in the summer. We just bought 4 more used kayaks, so now we can all go at once!

My sister & I:
C61A12BF-1C0F-47BD-8362-38D67E8411ED.jpeg

July 15-21
Mon - Off
Tues - Run 5 miles
Wed - Run 5.2 miles (CV)
Thurs - Elliptical (35 min) + yoga (35 min)
Fri - Off
Sat - Run 5.5 miles - I was supposed to run 7, but it was so hot & humid, maybe even worse than Florida hot & humid. :crazy2:

We had a bad storm go through Friday night with 60 mph straight-line winds. We lost some big limbs and numerous branches at our house. The wind knocked over all of our deck furniture & potted flowers, and our garbage bins ended up in our neighbors yard. It was crazy. So on my run Saturday morning I came across many down trees over the trail.
62DE1C30-4FF0-48FD-8212-D02C49D49A8F.jpeg

Sun - Run 11 miles - I was supposed to do 12, but I ran out of time because I had to get to my son's last baseball game of the season.

Mom brag: My son is an amazing pitcher and was voted MVP! I like to think he gets his athletic genes from me. He's so fun to watch.
D91B2F66-F52A-4161-98E5-EC45AC8F50BA.jpeg

I love this picture of my hubby and son (Chris helps with the score book, so he gets to sit in the dugout with the boys).
26907858-3CBA-4848-93A7-5568082471F0.jpeg

So it's been a busy couple of weeks, but a pretty solid block of training. My left lower leg is overly achy in a couple of spots the last few days, so I've been spending more time on the elliptical this week. I'm hoping if I can give it a little break, it will feel better after a few days and I can get back on track soon. I hope.

Random Ramblings & a Race Recap

Confession #1: I did not do a very good job of sticking to my training plan while on vacation (July 25-Aug 4). I did manage to get 3 solid runs in though, including a nice 5.5 mile trail run up in northern MI near my grandparents cabin. It was a chilly 49 degrees in the morning and there was a cool fog on the lake. It warmed up to 80 that day.

8FA2A0AE-ED5C-4B45-B48A-66D26A472EF6.jpegE8E9D3FB-754F-4A38-8540-4B0ADC3EE663.jpeg

We also spent a lot of time in our kayaks.
847CB909-703A-407B-94E0-50B25865A588.jpeg

Confession #2: I have not done any of my Wed speed workouts in the last 3 weeks. Again, vacation, and also my left lower leg has been bothering me a bit, so I thought I would give it a rest and just do slow runs. It seems to be feeling better. I'm not sure what the issue is, but I suspect walking around in flip flops all summer is not helping, so I'm vowing to wear more supportive footwear for the rest of the summer.

So I feel like I've fallen off the marathon training wagon the last few weeks. Coach @DopeyBadger told me at the beginning of this training plan that it will take 100% effort if I want to meet my goal of sub 4:30. I am now feeling like I will have to adjust that goal. I would just really like to make it to marathon day feeling good & healthy, and I no longer care so much about time.

Confession #3: I have been eating too much junk and drinking a lot of beer lately. I'm up a 3-4 pounds, so it's time to buckle down.

In other news...

I'm in the running for a big promotion at work. I had an interview this past Friday and I think it went well. I should find out this week.

My birthday was this past Saturday - I celebrated my 44 years by running 12 miles in the morning, kayaking with my sister in the afternoon, and a steak dinner with the family in the evening. It was a great day!

Go Rogue Rockford Run 3.5 miles & Kayak 3.5 miles

This is a fun adventure-style race near my house. I think next year I might actually race this race because I think I could win my age group, but because it was my birthday weekend, we decided to take a more leisurely approach. My friends & I stowed beers in our kayaks before dropping them off (we weren't the only ones). :drinking1

It was a cloudy morning with a few sprinkles, but the temps were nice in the low 60's. The run course is mostly on a paved rail trail, with a little bit of road running, and then ends at a youth camp, where you get in your kayak and paddle (or float in our case) down river back to the start/finish area. There is no finisher medal, but we got a nice, soft T-shirt, a water bottle, and a boxed lunch afterward. And the photos were free!!

E7547C91-BC86-4057-8E0C-36E999B94DF1.jpeg901177BB-6CCB-4CC2-937C-1DF11B5FCD40.jpeg4FA4661A-61E8-4E0A-969C-AAE1834B6087.jpeg
7D2485C2-4A57-4C55-9AB7-D4A8616805D3.jpeg

It's been a fun few weeks, but now it's time to get down to business again. School is starting in two weeks. My north Country Trail half is now less than two weeks away. Chicago is now 2 months away. Time to focus!!! o_O

Sounds like you had a great trip and birthday! That race sounds fun - I've never heard of the running/kayak combination. You should totally race it next year.

Changing some speed workouts to an easier day won't cost you as much as you think. Just keep plugging away. Stay hungry and motivated. And when the victory lap comes, let the chips lie where they may.

You should totally race it next year.

I should. I run that route so often and we kayak that portion of the river a few times a summer, so I would totally would have home turf advantage.

Changing some speed workouts to an easier day won't cost you as much as you think. Just keep plugging away. Stay hungry and motivated.

Ok, sounds good. I'll keep at it.

And when the victory lap comes, let the chips lie where they may.

I like this. Thanks Coach!

So I did not get the promotion at work and I am raging mad about it. I have the most experience, the most seniority, and I had been basically doing the job since the previous guy passed away. All of my coworkers are shocked, everyone agrees this should have been a no-brainer. My assistant director had recommended me and was pulling for me, but in the end the director chose a total brown-noser. And the worst part is that the director liked many of my ideas for the dept and he mentioned he would still like me to work on them - ummm, so you liked what I had to say, but you're not going to give me a raise??? And I'll still have to do my normal duties?? B.S.!!!!

I cried every night for three days and now I'm just bitter and angry. Anyone ever been in this situation? How do I move on and not let this consume me?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!