Running in the Mitten & Beyond!

Congrats on finishing the Groundhog Half! It looks like a beautiful race! “Tough on the ankles” scares me a bot but I may have to try this one next year.

Even with the challenges, you still did something everyday so that's a win in my book! I'm so very over winter and we're expecting ice tomorrow so it looks like winter isn't over me quite yet.

Great job in your race as well! Winter races can be such a crap shoot but sounds like you got the best you could hope for.

Thanks! Yeah, we have ice in the forecast for tomorrow & Wed too and yesterday & today it rained and melted most of that beautiful snow. It's been a crazy winter and I fear it's not even close to being done yet.

Congrats on finishing the Groundhog Half! It looks like a beautiful race! “Tough on the ankles” scares me a bot but I may have to try this one next year.

Your ankles will be super strong again by next year. :thumbsup2 And you never know, conditions could be completely different next year. The first year I ran it we had bare pavement and were dodging puddles!

Congrats on your awesome race! And adorable pictures with your friend :cutie:

My sister now lives in Michigan so I’ve been getting the daily weather report. She moved there from CA. I suppose we can adjust if we have to but going from such a mild winter to polar vortex conditions must be rough! She assures me she’s fine. :rolleyes2

My sister now lives in Michigan so I’ve been getting the daily weather report. She moved there from CA. I suppose we can adjust if we have to but going from such a mild winter to polar vortex conditions must be rough! She assures me she’s fine. :rolleyes2

Where in Michigan does she live? Yeah, coming from Cali has to be a little rough...o_O

Week 6 Training Update

It's been another challenging week. Chris has been sick with some sort of bronchial flu. I finally insisted he go to the doctor Friday and it's a good thing he did because he's one step away from pneumonia. He's on a bunch of meds and hopefully on the mend now. I'm really hoping the kids & I don't get that crud.

Also, we were hit with not one, but two ice storms this week! Mother Nature has been relentless the last 3 weeks. The kids had another 3 days off from school - they think it's awesome now but won't in June when they have to make up these days. And to make matters worse, we lost power for 2 days. Fortunately we were able to power our furnace with a generator, so we stayed warm at least.

They are already forecasting another ice storm for next week too.

E7F1A9D8-F40E-4A6A-99D6-86096FE3458C.jpeg

Monday: Gentle Yoga (30 min)

Tuesday: 3 miles @EA - treadmill + Yoga (30 min)

Wednesday: 6 miles @EB w/ strides - treadmill

Thursday: This was the worst weather day and my regular Yoga class was cancelled due to power outages, so I did some sequences at home - Yoga (45 min)

Friday: Our power came back on in the afternoon, so I did 3 miles @EA - treadmill.

Saturday: My daughter and I went skiing at our local ski hill for about 3 hours. It was cold!!!

3B58799D-9988-4AA9-82BD-B119769CE781.jpeg

Sunday: 6 miles @EB w/ strides - I strapped on the yak trax and headed to my favorite rail trail. Due to the ice storm and high winds almost everyone in the area lost limbs, branches, & trees, and it was the same on the trail. I came upon a downed tree about every mile.
B3872C77-6E86-44F5-84F8-FDAEB4207F85.jpeg 33C041AA-D370-4A59-96A0-CB1FB1C94FE0.jpeg

Splits: 11:01, 10:39, 10:48, 10:46, 10:05, 10:52 for an average pace of 10:42. I did most of the strides during mile 5 because most of mile 6 is uphill. Garmin said my best pace during those strides was 6:40 - where did that come from?!?!! o_O

Despite the tough week, I'm happy I still got my runs in. I'm hoping Mother Nature gives us a break next week.

Week 6 Training Update

It's been another challenging week. Chris has been sick with some sort of bronchial flu. I finally insisted he go to the doctor Friday and it's a good thing he did because he's one step away from pneumonia. He's on a bunch of meds and hopefully on the mend now. I'm really hoping the kids & I don't get that crud.

Also, we were hit with not one, but two ice storms this week! Mother Nature has been relentless the last 3 weeks. The kids had another 3 days off from school - they think it's awesome now but won't in June when they have to make up these days. And to make matters worse, we lost power for 2 days. Fortunately we were able to power our furnace with a generator, so we stayed warm at least.

They are already forecasting another ice storm for next week too.

View attachment 381657

Monday: Gentle Yoga (30 min)

Tuesday: 3 miles @EA - treadmill + Yoga (30 min)

Wednesday: 6 miles @EB w/ strides - treadmill

Thursday: This was the worst weather day and my regular Yoga class was cancelled due to power outages, so I did some sequences at home - Yoga (45 min)

Friday: Our power came back on in the afternoon, so I did 3 miles @EA - treadmill.

Saturday: My daughter and I went skiing at our local ski hill for about 3 hours. It was cold!!!

View attachment 381654

Sunday: 6 miles @EB w/ strides - I strapped on the yak trax and headed to my favorite rail trail. Due to the ice storm and high winds almost everyone in the area lost limbs, branches, & trees, and it was the same on the trail. I came upon a downed tree about every mile.
View attachment 381655 View attachment 381656

Splits: 11:01, 10:39, 10:48, 10:46, 10:05, 10:52 for an average pace of 10:42. I did most of the strides during mile 5 because most of mile 6 is uphill. Garmin said my best pace during those strides was 6:40 - where did that come from?!?!! o_O

Despite the tough week, I'm happy I still got my runs in. I'm hoping Mother Nature gives us a break next week.

I just have to say, you are awesome for getting out and getting it done in that weather. I couldn't even make myself go out and do my 5 mile run this weekend because it was 25 degrees!

I've been a big whiny baby about running in the cold so I haven't been. But, then I read your journal and it's a good kick in the butt for me! Great job.

Week 7 Training Update

All runs were on the treadmill. I really wanted to get outside, but it is just not worth the risk of falling and injuring myself. We are still stuck in a fairly active weather pattern with snow, ice, rain, re-freeze on repeat, but the kids only had one snow day this week, so there's that.

Monday
Gentle Yoga (30 min)

Tuesday
4.5 miles @EA - treadmill
Gentle Yoga (30 min)

Wednesday
1.5 mi @WU+ 2 x 1.25 mi @T w/ 3 min rest + I pace work + 0.5 mi @CD = 5.3 miles - treadmill
I am starting to hate the T-pace workouts. I feel like I am failing at them. Maybe I would do better outside, or maybe I would just be slowing down. I admittedly took longer than a 3 min rest in between intervals.

Thursday
Yoga (60 min)

Friday
Elliptical (40 min)

Saturday
6 miles @EB + strides - treadmill

Sunday
2 mile WU + 3 miles @HM Tempo (9:14) + 0.5 mi @ T + 1 mile CD = 6.5 miles - treadmill
This one was tough!!! I can't get an exact pace on my treadmill so I opted for a 9:20 pace for HM Tempo. I was struggling but I think it was more mentally than physically. I just kept thinking, "how can I run a half marathon at this pace if I can't even do 3 miles?" Again, I think I might do better outside.

In other news:

I finally added more hooks to one of my medal racks and also hung another one. My sister made these for me out of old barn wood.
B5314997-71D2-4363-BDEA-632F6FA33974.jpeg
The one on the right is the newest one made with chalk paint so I can add PR's - this one is currently holding my 4 marathon medals plus my Dopey medal. I also have a 3rd one she made me (not pictured) which is mostly holding bibs currently.

I've also been nailing down our plans for our upcoming Disney Spring Break/Star Wars Weekend trip. I ordered this Rebel Pilot tank for either the 10K or the Half. I'll probably pair it with an orange sparkle skirt.
7C80C5F7-79AC-4978-8BAF-94722F34C8A0.jpeg

The whole family is starting to get really excited for this trip!! :chewy::darth::mickeyjum

Great training week especially doing all those runs on a treadmill!

I love your medal racks too and great idea to have one with chalkboard paint to keep your PRs on. Yay for a Disney trip. Ours is getting close and I'm getting crazy excited.

Week 8 Training Update

Monday
The kids had Monday off for mid-Winter break, which is funny because with all of the snow days they've had I feel like they've had several mid-winter breaks, but whatever. It was a lovely Bluebird day, so I took the kids over to our local ski hill.
Skiing (3 hours)
Gentle Yoga (30 min)

F109DDC6-B2F9-4A61-AC4F-C3E00020A4A7.jpeg

Tuesday
4.5 miles @ EA - treadmill

Wednesday
1 mi @ WU + 2 x 1.5 miles @T w/ 3 min rest + 2 x 2 min @I w/ 2 min RI + 0.5 mi @ CD - treadmill
I kind of cheated and did 3 x 1 mile @T - I find that anything over 1 mile @T sucks the life out of me - sorry coach.

Thursday
Yoga (60 min)

Friday
5.5 miles @ EB + strides - treadmill
This was supposed to be my elliptical day, but I had to shift my Saturday & Sunday runs to Friday & Saturday.

Saturday
8 miles @ LR - treadmill
Again, I moved this run from Sunday because I was anticipating I'd have a hangover Sunday and it turns out this was a good move. Read on for my binge drinking.

Michigan Winter Beer Festival

Saturday afternoon DH & I along with 3 other couples went to Beerfest. This is the 5th year in a row we've attended and it's always a good time. There were over 100 breweries represented from all over the state. This is an outdoor festival in February, so weather can be interesting, but it's all part of the experience. We arrange transportation so no one has to drive and we all can let loose. I donned my "Hoppy Hat" and did my best to sample as many beers as I could!
EEA75534-F7C8-4C2C-A9A9-163ABFD531E5.jpeg 801E9951-E783-47ED-B986-99384EF8C5BC.jpeg 1F493347-9440-454F-8FBD-7BE9CF43D4C5.jpeg D1DCF2AB-153F-43D6-91AF-9D0722A2A1BE.jpeg

It did rain off & on, but honestly we were feeling so good we weren't bothered by it. Every year I swear I'm going to write down the beers that I loved so that I can remember them, but every year I forget. My friends & I look forward to this day every year. It's always so much fun and this year didn't disappoint.

Sunday
Rest & hydration

I forgot to comment on Instagram that I loved your hat! And you are correct. Anything over 80 degrees is hot!

Sounds like a fun festival. We have similar ones around here but they are always in the summer when it is too hot. I think I would prefer a winter one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter