Running in the Mitten & Beyond!

So running in the snow looks like fun but this is coming from a North Carolina girl that doesn’t see it much. I just ran in 21 degrees this morning and I couldn’t feel my face for awhile after I finished. Props to you for getting out and running in the snow and cold temps!

It is definitely hard for me to get motivated to go run in weather under 20 degrees, so it's good for me to find friends to meet in that case, plus it was the first day we've had any measurable snow since November, so I was actually excited to go run in it! My cheeks were freezing too, both upper and lower, lol.

It is definitely hard for me to get motivated to go run in weather under 20 degrees, so it's good for me to find friends to meet in that case, plus it was the first day we've had any measurable snow since November, so I was actually excited to go run in it! My cheeks were freezing too, both upper and lower, lol.

I feel you on the cold. We had our first big storm of the season this weekend and got about 8 inches of snow with .5 inch of ice on top. Then yesterday the high was 1* with a wind advisory. I'll take temps in the 20s over that any day.

I LOVE those pictures of you in the snow. You are a tougher woman than me though. No way I'm out running in that!!!

I feel you on the cold. We had our first big storm of the season this weekend and got about 8 inches of snow with .5 inch of ice on top. Then yesterday the high was 1* with a wind advisory. I'll take temps in the 20s over that any day.

Yeah, temps in the 20's are good. This morning it was -3, and that's a big nope, so I'm happy to get on the treadmill when necessary. We've had a strange winter with a little bit of everything. Tonight we are supposed to get freezing rain again, then more snow later this week. The kids had two snow/ice days last week and hoping for more in the next few days.

Week 4 Training

5BB3AD96-8362-4D27-AEB4-62D8B1EE5875.png

I didn't get outside at all this week. With snow and below zero wind chills, I opted to grind it out on the treadmill in my basement. I used to really loathe the treadmill, but over the last couple of winters I've learn to appreciate it during inclement weather.

Monday: REST - I didn't even take the dog for a walk (her paws get too cold in this weather).

Tuesday: 3 miles @EA (treadmill) + Yoga (15 min)

Wednesday: 4.5 miles with Daniels I pace speed work (treadmill) + Yoga (15 min)
These Daniels workouts are killing me at 4:30 in the morning!!

Thursday: Yoga (60 min)

Friday: Elliptical (40 min) + Yoga (20 min)

Saturday: 3 mile @EA (treadmill) + Yoga (15 min)

Sunday: 3 mi @WU + 2 x 1.25 mi @T w/ 3 min rest + I pace substitutions + 1 mi @CD = 7.3 miles (treadmill)
This one was tough but I do better with the speed work with some coffee in me for sure. :coffee:

In other news, have any of you watched Marie Kondo's Netflix show "Tidying Up" or read her book? I have been trying her method. It's very time consuming, but I like the way everything looks when it's done. Here is my kitchen towel drawer:

C9355A88-272E-4508-9E25-84040401B36F.jpeg

It looks neat & tidy, right?? I'm not sure how long that will last though...

I'm a little late to the adventure but I'm glad to be here and interested to hear more about how you've found yoga to be helpful to your running performance? I've been running enthusiastically for 18 months now and am turning 40 in about 4 weeks time. I too was inspired to begin my running journey prior to turning 40 because I didn't want my family's history of heart disease to be my future. Plus a lot of people told me a half marathon couldn't be done thanks to my degenerative back injury but I showed them!! Excited to be on the journey with you.

Good for you on the TM runs. I couldn’t bear the thought of running 12 on the treadmill yesterday after doing 10 on Friday—and I find the TM a valuable training partner. So I went outside and did my 12 on the roads—literally, mostly since most people hadn’t shoveled sidewalks yet. It was tough and sorta slip-slidy, but I got em done. My hip flexors and hamstrings did not really appreciate it though. Glad today’s an off day.

And you have quite the varied dish towel collection!

I'm a little late to the adventure but I'm glad to be here and interested to hear more about how you've found yoga to be helpful to your running performance? I've been running enthusiastically for 18 months now and am turning 40 in about 4 weeks time. I too was inspired to begin my running journey prior to turning 40 because I didn't want my family's history of heart disease to be my future. Plus a lot of people told me a half marathon couldn't be done thanks to my degenerative back injury but I showed them!! Excited to be on the journey with you.

Welcome! I have been doing yoga for about 20 years and I'm a certified yoga teacher (although I haven't actively taught in several years). I find yoga to be helpful for so many issues - it has help me through back injuries (slipped discs), pelvic floor dysfunction, sciatica, depression, etc. I think it helps my running by strengthening weak muscles (core & ankles especially) and by deep stretching of the tight muscles. It brings great body awareness, so I can really tell where the imbalances are in my body. I'm hoping it's the key to ward off running injuries.

Good for you for proving those people wrong! I hate it when people tell me I can't do something - that's just more fuel for my fire.

Good for you on the TM runs. I couldn’t bear the thought of running 12 on the treadmill yesterday after doing 10 on Friday—and I find the TM a valuable training partner. So I went outside and did my 12 on the roads—literally, mostly since most people hadn’t shoveled sidewalks yet. It was tough and sorta slip-slidy, but I got em done. My hip flexors and hamstrings did not really appreciate it though. Glad today’s an off day.

And you have quite the varied dish towel collection!

I hear you, I can't do any more than 8 miles on the treadmill without losing my mind, so if I'd had any more than 7 on the schedule, I would've ventured out as well. Today is a rest day for me too, which is good because we are getting pounded with snow right now - it's probably headed your way!

I admire how you use the treadmill. I hate it so much and often just opt to skip runs if my only choice is the treadmill. Of course, I'm sure living where you do versus where I live, you don't have that same luxury. It's not that often the weather is so bad that running outside isn't an option.

I haven't watched/read any of the Marie Kondo stuff although I've read some about it. It seems like something I'd enjoy, but the time-consuming nature of that kind of thing just makes it tough to do. But, that drawer you showed "sparks a lot of joy" for me!

Great job getting it done! I'm also currently shackled to the treadmill or indoor track. It looks like we *might* break out of this cold snap by Saturday. Hopefully the same is true for you.

I don’t like to use the treadmill if it’s anything over 6 miles. But it is good when you are trying to maintain certain paces. I once ran 20 miles on our treadmill training for my first full. I was using intervals so it was easier to control that way. That was the worst experience ever! It felt like it took me longer to get that 20 done on the treadmill than it did running the actual marathon.

I’m married to a guy that doesn’t like to get rid of anything so we disagree on what sparks joy!

4B5012E1-DF0A-4D29-8B18-B96825146315.jpeg

Polar Vortex, I have had enough of you.

A2ABFF72-D950-4C52-9A19-21984F8C0147.jpeg

What a crazy week. After a pretty mild winter in December and most of January, Mother Nature made up for it this week. In addition to the ridiculous negative temps, we've gotten about 18 inches of snow over the last week. My commutes to and from work have been awful! The kids have another snow day tomorrow - that will be 6 days in a row. Their brains are rotting from all the movies and video games. It sucks that it's too cold to send them outside!

8DE4E0B7-6673-480C-A475-98180B80CC07.jpeg

And...it's a race week!!

Fortunately tomorrow starts a warming trend and it looks like temperatures for the Groundhog Half should be in the mid 20's during the race, which is so much better than single digits - I'm so relieved! That forecast makes me so happy I might even wear a tutu for this race. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter