Running in the Mitten & Beyond!

Following! So happy to have met you before the January marathon and I’m excited to follow you this year. Maybe we can get a Dis pre-race meet for Star Wars (I’m running the 10k & half too!)! I’m also still puzzling over costumes.

Excited to follow along! You have some great races set up for 2019! I hope to be ready to run the River Bank Run this Spring, though it will not be a PR effort; it will be a survive effort... Last year before the injury I was looking at the Groundhog Marathon, in Grand Rapids right? I may look to that in 2020. A few others have told me it is fun. Do you recommend? A Michigan runner’s training journal, I am excited!

Following along! One goal I have this year is to make an effort at reading and commenting on people’s running journals. I’ll be down there for Star Wars weekend as well doing the challenge!

Following! So happy to have met you before the January marathon and I’m excited to follow you this year. Maybe we can get a Dis pre-race meet for Star Wars (I’m running the 10k & half too!)! I’m also still puzzling over costumes.

Happy to have met you too!! I have major FOMO about Marathon Weekend, but glad to have Star Wars to look forward to. Definitely will have to plan a pre- race meet-up.

Following along! One goal I have this year is to make an effort at reading and commenting on people’s running journals. I’ll be down there for Star Wars weekend as well doing the challenge!

I have been reading a lot of journals the last few months too - I was trying to decide if I wanted to start one. There's a lot of inspiration on these boards! We will have to meet up for Star Wars.

Excited to follow along! You have some great races set up for 2019! I hope to be ready to run the River Bank Run this Spring, though it will not be a PR effort; it will be a survive effort... Last year before the injury I was looking at the Groundhog Marathon, in Grand Rapids right? I may look to that in 2020. A few others have told me it is fun. Do you recommend? A Michigan runner’s training journal, I am excited!

I hope you can do River Bank too - such a great race! The Groundhog is a lot of fun, I highly recommend it. It's run by the same people that do the GR Marathon, so it's well organized and the post race party is great. That said though, I have only done the half not the full, and 3 loops is enough for me, I can't imagine 6! It's on paved trails through the park, but they don't plow them, so you have to contend with whatever mother nature brings, which really is half the fun.

Week 1 training complete!

I have new paces, which is both exciting and scary. o_O

WU/CD - 12:19
EA - 11:33
EB - 10:47
LR - 10:29
HM Tempo - 9:14
MS - 9:27
5k - 8:28
M Tempo - 9:37
Daniels T - 8:54
Daniels R - 7:31
Daniels I - 8:03

Because I've been prone to shin injuries (stress reactions) for the last year and a half, I wanted to drop back to running just four days a week, with a 5th day on the elliptical. Whenever I tried to run 5 days a week in the past, that's when things start hurting, so we'll see if this helps or not. So a typical week will look like this:

Monday - REST
Tuesday - RUN
Wednesday - RUN
Thursday - YOGA
Friday - ELLIPTICAL
Saturday - RUN
Sunday - RUN

This week went fairly well, although we are having an unusual winter. We've had more rain than snow. This week started out with some freezing rain and ended with temps in the 40's and sunshine - say what???

Monday: Dog walk and gentle yoga (30 min.)

Tuesday: 3 miles @EA - Treadmill

Wednesday: 4 miles @EB + strides - Treadmill

Thursday: Dog walk and Yoga (60 min.)

Friday: Elliptical (40 min.)

Saturday: 3 miles @EA - Splits 11:06, 11:00, 10:58 - Too fast, but I always struggle with EA pace in the beginning of the training plan.

Sunday: 5 miles @EB + Strides - Splits 10:40, 10:46, 10:43, 10:33, 10:36 - Absolutely perfect running weather. It felt like spring! It's too good to be true and I know it won't hold, but I am certainly enjoying it for running.

January or March?? #falsespring
685E9539-8653-4D82-817E-DDB44456FBD8.jpeg 5343ECE2-C3BC-48C1-8945-618493F572F5.jpeg

I wore one of my Disney shirts today in honor of all of you headed to Marathon Weekend - I hope you have a magical time!! :mickeyjum

You better check to see if your shoes are smoking from those Daniels paces. You’ll be on fire!

Week 2 Training complete!!

Monday: Dog walk and gentle yoga (30 min.)

Tuesday: 3 miles @EA - Av. pace 11:09, splits 11:16, 10:58, 11:13 - It was 35 degrees at 4:45am and no snow. Highly unusual.

Wednesday: 4.5 miles (1.5 @WU + 2 x 1 miles @T w/ 2 min rest + 1 mile @CD) - I did this one on the treadmill because we got about an inch of snow overnight and it looked slippery. This one was TOUGH! I may have cut that last quarter mile @T a little short...:crazy2:

Thursday: Walked 2 miles w/ coworkers & Yoga (60 min.)

Friday: Elliptical (40 min.)

Saturday: 3 miles @EA - Av. pace 10:42, splits 10:50, 10:37, 10:41 - I didn't look at my plan closely and did EB pace. Felt good. Cold weather has arrived, streets were clear, still only a dusting of snow on the grass.

Sunday: 6 miles @LR - Av. pace 10:24, splits 10:32, 10:30, 10:25, 10:21, 10:07, 10:30 - Rock solid! A chilly 20 degrees with sunshine.

I bought a hat to reinforce my "do more yoga" resolution. My new mantra - Do Yoga, Run Faster :)

143C881C-2ED4-43D9-9019-DD3C76CED0E1.jpeg

Congrats to all you Marathon Weekenders!!

I like the hat. I have been doing yoga now since May. I really dislike it but it has definitely helped my running, so I keep going once a week.

I like the hat. I have been doing yoga now since May. I really dislike it but it has definitely helped my running, so I keep going once a week.

I like that hat!

I love your mantra!! Yoga and running do go so well together!!

Running & yoga are so good together! Here's the shop for the hat & other running/yoga gear:

https://www.runnersloveyoga.com/shop/

She also blogs and is on Instagram @runnersloveyoga

Week 3 Training complete!

Monday

Dog walk + Yoga (30 min)

Tuesday

Freezing rain overnight. The kids had a snow day, really an ice day.

5 mi @EA on Treadmill + Gentle Yoga (20 min)

Wednesday

2 mi @WU + 8 x 200m @R w/ 200m RI @WU +1 mi CD - Treadmill again, more freezing rain overnight, so because Billy doesn't recommend attempting R pace on the treadmill, he gave me some I pace substitutions.

The kids had another snow/ice day, of course they were thrilled.

Thursday

2 mi walk w/ coworkers + Yoga (60 min)

Friday

Elliptical (40 min)

Saturday

SNOW!!! We finally have snow! My friend & I decided to meet a local trail runners group at a park near me. Most of the group was doing 8.5 miles, but we only wanted to do about 5 (5 mi @EA on the schedule), so a couple of the guys pointed out on the map a loop that was about 5.5 miles, he said it was pretty well marked, so we went with that.

It ended up being about
5.7 miles @ 15:30 - Trail miles are so much slower than road miles. I'm still getting used to this.

It was a cold morning, only about 18 degrees and light snow, but it was so beautiful in the the woods!
5EB57F76-A69C-4F34-92C9-5A853B0CEF91.jpeg
D9CFC34A-C40F-45FA-B3E9-D733E4656035.jpeg

Sunday

It was only -3 degrees outside, so I opted for the treadmill again.

1.5 mi @WU +2 x 1 miles @T w/ 2min rest + 4x200m @R w/ 200m RI @WU + 1 mi CD - That T pace is a killer, but I did better with it this time with some coffee in me.

It was a busy week and I am dog tired. Speaking of dog tired...
0B7127D5-FDDB-4166-8A00-CD6881E90576.jpeg

Winnie and I took a nice nap this afternoon. :) We each had our own couch.

So running in the snow looks like fun but this is coming from a North Carolina girl that doesn’t see it much. I just ran in 21 degrees this morning and I couldn’t feel my face for awhile after I finished. Props to you for getting out and running in the snow and cold temps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter