Running in the Mitten & Beyond!

michigandergirl

DIS Veteran
Stress, quality sleep, calorie deficit or quality of recent nutrition? Just seeing if we can identify a root cause.
I forgot to mention, I gave blood last week Wednesday, so that could be a factor for the last week, but doesn't really explain the two weeks prior. I have had some work stress, but nutrition and everything else is normal.

I think regardless of the cause though we need to make a pivot quick to see if we can force a reset before Chicago. You still have 5.5 weeks, so there's still time. From today through 9/14, only walking, no running. And walk for 1/2 the duration of what was originally scheduled. So this weekend will not be 90+107 min and instead 45+53 min of walking. Let's see if that drop in intensity and volume helps you feel better. I'd certainly expect some fatigue given we're in the peak of training, but not to the point that you can't get pace under EB. How does that sound?
I think this sounds good. Thanks Billy!

DopeyBadger

Imagathoner
I forgot to mention, I gave blood last week Wednesday, so that could be a factor for the last week, but doesn't really explain the two weeks prior. I have had some work stress, but nutrition and everything else is normal.
I'm at a loss then, and at this moment I'd chalk it up to general fatigue. Let's see how you feel after the week of walking. Something else may be a play, but not quite sure what it is yet.

avondale

Mouseketeer
I read somewhere a couple of years ago that giving blood definitely affects running performance. I don't think this is what I read, but it's similar: https://runnersconnect.net/blood-donation-running-performance/ No, it doesn't explain anything prior to when you donated blood, but the blood donation could be prolonging things.

• michigandergirl

DIS Veteran
    I read somewhere a couple of years ago that giving blood definitely affects running performance. I don't think this is what I read, but it's similar: https://runnersconnect.net/blood-donation-running-performance/ No, it doesn't explain anything prior to when you donated blood, but the blood donation could be prolonging things.
    Thanks for that article. I admit I was hesitant to donate while marathon training, but there is a huge need for blood donations in our area right now and with me being O neg, they are always calling & emailing me. Plus, the blood drive was in my building at work, so I figured I might as well go donate on company time. :-)

And you're right, it's likely prolonging things.

avondale

Mouseketeer
    Thanks for that article. I admit I was hesitant to donate while marathon training, but there is a huge need for blood donations in our area right now and with me being O neg, they are always calling & emailing me. Plus, the blood drive was in my building at work, so I figured I might as well go donate on company time. :-)

And you're right, it's likely prolonging things.
    It all sounds like you're building up a good excuse..."Well, I couldn't have the marathon that I wanted because I was SAVING LIVES..." :) Hopefully you can keep it in that perspective.

michigandergirl

DIS Veteran
    I’m still here! :flower1:

Hey just checking in here and hope you're doing ok...
    Thanks for checking on me!

I took about 10 days off from running to try and heal up some aches & pains, and also to get rid of some unusual fatigue I was experiencing the last few weeks. So I just did some walking and some yoga, and I jumped on the elliptical once as well. I think it helped. I'm starting to feel like my old self again. I don't think I'm quite back to full strength though, but I feel like things are headed in the right direction anyway.

This morning I ran The Bridge Run 10 Miler. The plan called for running this race at LR pace. Funny thing though, when you haven't looked at your training plan in several days, you sort of forget what your paces are, so in my mind LR pace was 10:30, which is what it was the last training cycle, but for this plan it's actually 10:45. Oops! :laughing:

Anyways, I managed to pull off the 10:30 pace. It wasn't as easy as it should've been, but I felt pretty decent throughout and nothing was hurting, so yay for that.
    2D142A28-0870-4E7F-956E-D1CDF9DBFFF7.png

I haven't ran this race since 2016 and I forgot how much I enjoy this course - it's mostly flat and you go over 3 historic truss bridges. I was terrible and only took one picture at the end of Angie & I. The medals were just okay and seemed very small after running North Country last month. :-)

3FEA18C5-95D2-43FF-B8DE-C15ADC95F321.jpeg

I was very hungry when I got home. I made myself a bagel/fried egg sandwich and a pumpkin spice donut smothered in cream cheese frosting.
    A379A599-85C6-4963-BE9F-A82C07A72AC5.jpeg

Next week: I'm hoping to jump back into training. Only 4 weeks until Chicago!!!

• avondale

Mouseketeer
    I was very hungry when I got home. I made myself a bagel/fried egg sandwich and a pumpkin spice donut smothered in cream cheese frosting.
    View attachment 435904

Next week: I'm hoping to jump back into training. Only 4 weeks until Chicago!!!
    Congrats on your race! But I was writing more to say that OMG your after-race breakfast looks amazing. I may have to remember that for the future. :)

I hope you start feeling better with the rest of your training plan.

michigandergirl

DIS Veteran
    Congrats on your race! But I was writing more to say that OMG your after-race breakfast looks amazing. I may have to remember that for the future. :)

I hope you start feeling better with the rest of your training plan.
    Thanks! That's my "go-to" late breakfast after a long run or race. My favorite donuts are from our favorite apple orchard (we picked apples yesterday) and their donuts are so amazing! It's probably a good thing I can only get them in Sept/Oct every year.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates