Running at Shades of Green

ZellyB

DIS Veteran
I'll probably cross post this in the resorts forum as well, but as anyone stayed at SoG and done much running. We go in a little less than 2 weeks and the training schedule while we are there is pretty rigorous. I don't mind getting up super early to run, but unsure where best to run there. If it's allowed, looks like the easiest solution would just be to run the golf cart paths throughout the golf course. Any reason that wouldn't be allowed you think?

If we can't do that, we could run across to the Poly and then to TTC and back I guess however many times we would need to to hit our mileage.

I stayed there about 7 years ago, and I tried the golf cart paths one day. It worked okay. I also tried the roads... DO NOT RECOMMEND! Truth be told, my best route from SoG was to run through the Poly pathway over to the main MK parking lot and run the outside perimeter of the parking lot. You can see my route here: http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/121321656

Also, I never tried to run over to the Wilderness area, but if there's a way, I think someone mentioned there were some trails over there. Hopefully somebody here can chime in.

Treadmills are last resort. :D Although with the heat and temps in Florida in July, we may end up there anyway.
When my boys were little, DH and I were happy to have a fitness center one of us could use while the boys napped in the heat of the day. But nice to have the option should you need it.

We were just there last week and thankfully we aren’t in serious training mode. We live along the Gulf Coast and are used to the summers but it was incredihot and humid even for us! (T+D=160 at 7 am :scared:)

I’m not a fan of the golf trails because of the early morning golfers. 8-) If your run is 2-3 miles I’d recommend the GF/Poly running trail which is 1 mile. Nice views of the castle at sunrise and you can meander through the Poly walkways for extra distance. The Wilderness/Ft Wilderness is 2.5 miles but might be difficult to get there that early. Remember bug repellent as the bloodsuckers were out in force!

It's a really popular time for early golf (I just looked at tee times for the rest of the month and early morning is non-existent), so I would just head out the main road, cross the street and run the Poly path.

Also, because the courses overwater their greens and fairways to combat the sun and heat, you're probably going to be dodging sprinklers if you start early enough.

Sounds like a lot of back and forth for us. Some of the runs are fairly long, but we'll just make it work or resort to the treadmills. Thanks all!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!