Running and Racing and Dancing and Chasing: A 2017 Princess Half Marathon Weekend Trip Report!

Thanks for the Kate spade offer....enabler :rotfl2:

Coconut passionfruit..ooooh! I'm a lightweight too! Lol
Love AKL! I'll be back there in January but hubby prefers poly so I'll take it!

@ZellyB and I don't get out of our beds for less than 75% off. :P

I'm in love with that Figment Topiary. I just wish one day I can be as happy as that little bush.

P.S. Everyday is National Margherita Day if you live in the nation of Epcot.

Enjoying your trip report, thanks for sharing! popcorn:: got me thinking that maybe I need to do a runDisney trip. I've always ran and did various races but kind of fell out of love with running, maybe a runDisney goal would inspire me?! :) I think maybe I just want another visit to the World! :thumbsup2

My first stop was Ghirardelli for an iced caramel latte (which was not as blurry in real life as it appears in this picture :)) - yum! I also got a sample, of course (chocolate with caramel).

I officially approve this coffee stop. I like that you have good taste in Disney Springs coffee ... it makes me like you even more than I already did :)

Lunch was Earl of Sandwich's berry almond chicken salad...yum!

That looks really good. And I don't normally like berries in my salad (I was raised to not put fruit in savory dishes). But that looks really good.

It even has a little half marathon medal on it!

That is so awesome! (The rest is awesome too, but that's definitely the best part)

I find it so hard to get my bearings in Disney Springs...the layout is just not intuitive to me at all! :confused3

I totally get this. I don't think I've ever ventured outside of one tiny area of Disney Springs, just because once I leave the area I know, nothing makes sense to me anymore (not that it makes that much sense in the area I know, but at least I've been there enough that I mostly know where I am). I think part of it is just because of the way its grown and the new things they keep adding, but I think it's also just a little confusing because there aren't really cohesive themes.

First up - a ride on Spaceship Earth with all of my friends! And frizzy hair from the rain!

Excellent first ride choice!
Also ... that's why I wear a baseball cap when it rains. You can't see the frizzy (or at least you see less of it...)

Flower & Garden stuff was already being set up!

I think that's one of the reasons I love Princess Weekend so much ... I'm a big Flower & Garden fan, so if I do Princess Weekend, I get runDisney and a little bit of F&G all in one trip!
(Also, I like princesses ... but that's less relevant)

A drawback to having the car, I guess - gotta stay sober to actually drive it!

This is why I don't have a drivers license. I never have to stop drinking so that I can drive. I can't drive either way. (Although, I'm not really a big drinker, so ... that drinking and driving thing rarely comes up for me)

Just wanted to show you my shirt - gotta stay on-theme for the Belle-focused Princess Half!

See ... that is why you are a true runDisney master. The runDisney amateur picks out race costumes relevant to the race theme. The runDisney master picks out park outfits relevant to the race theme. Well done, runDisney master!

Love the B&TB shirt! That is my favorite Disney movie and I couldn't believe I missed the half this year when that was the theme :sad: Counting down the days until March 17th!

Bummer about all the rain - I hope it cleared up for the race days!

The CM informed me that La Cava had a couple of specials for the "holiday" - I’d originally planned on trying the Avocado Margarita, but the today's special flavors were $7 compared to the regular margarita price of $14! Avocado can wait.

Enjoying another great trip report.

We had the avocado margarita at the Hacienda a couple years ago and it was just weird. We didn't even finish it. So I don't think you missed much.

I've never really eaten anything in Norway. Ham and apple is an interesting sandwich.

I have always wanted to stay at AKL. The room looks very nice.
Yeah, it has sone cheese and Apple slaw on it. Really good!
That's a nice room view! I don't love flying much either, but I'll take it over driving to WDW anyday! I like eating at Norway a lot, but we got a school bread in November and it tasted like perfume, which is not how I remember it from past trips, it was gross.

Great pics!
I'm not a fan of school bread either. I'd rather keep walking to France and get ice cream!
That gorgeous Butterfly InB shirt stands out!
I guess it does! :butterfly
Thanks for the Kate spade offer....enabler :rotfl2:

Coconut passionfruit..ooooh! I'm a lightweight too! Lol
Love AKL! I'll be back there in January but hubby prefers poly so I'll take it!
Yep, I'm totally an enabler. :teeth: I have been told I should put a disclaimer at the beginning of my reports!
I'm going to pretend I don't see anything about a Kate Spade discount. :cool2:
:ssst: hehehe
@ZellyB and I don't get out of our beds for less than 75% off. :P

I'm in love with that Figment Topiary. I just wish one day I can be as happy as that little bush.

P.S. Everyday is National Margherita Day if you live in the nation of Epcot.
I wish I lived in the nation of Epcot. Wouldn't life be grand!...and miraculous.
Enjoying your trip report, thanks for sharing! popcorn:: got me thinking that maybe I need to do a runDisney trip. I've always ran and did various races but kind of fell out of love with running, maybe a runDisney goal would inspire me?! :) I think maybe I just want another visit to the World! :thumbsup2
With or without a race, a Disney trip is ALWAYS a good idea!:thumbsup2

I am joining in! We were there for the 5k last Friday, along with @LindseyJo22 and a bunch of other DisBoarders. It was my DH and I's first run disney event and we had a great time despite us being non-runners. Definitely doing another one in the future! Going to start my TR soon too.

I love AKL and your room looks really nice. Love the pictures at Disney Springs. I haven't been there for a year. Always been so sidetracked by the parks. Which is probably a good thing as I can do some damage shopping there. Next time I'm gonna have to get a personalized ornament as well!

I officially approve this coffee stop. I like that you have good taste in Disney Springs coffee ... it makes me like you even more than I already did :)
I knew you would! 6 Starbucks locations in WDW but only one Ghirardelli. <3
That looks really good. And I don't normally like berries in my salad (I was raised to not put fruit in savory dishes). But that looks really good.
It was good! And it made me feel like I was a healthy eater for a second, which was good since I planned on eating so many delicious (i.e. not-good-for-me) food items later on!
That is so awesome! (The rest is awesome too, but that's definitely the best part)
Definitely the best part. The CM didn't really seem like she knew what I meant when I was trying to explain but clearly she figured it out!
I totally get this. I don't think I've ever ventured outside of one tiny area of Disney Springs, just because once I leave the area I know, nothing makes sense to me anymore (not that it makes that much sense in the area I know, but at least I've been there enough that I mostly know where I am). I think part of it is just because of the way its grown and the new things they keep adding, but I think it's also just a little confusing because there aren't really cohesive themes.
Yes, you and I must stick to the same area - Ghirardelli/Marketplace Co-op/World of Disney etc. that part, I know. The rest it's like I have wandered into some strange and vast land that I don't recognize!
Excellent first ride choice!
Also ... that's why I wear a baseball cap when it rains. You can't see the frizzy (or at least you see less of it...)
SSE is a classic. And I was totally kicking myself for not bringing a hat, I even have a cute Monsters University hat! That is coming with me next time!
I think that's one of the reasons I love Princess Weekend so much ... I'm a big Flower & Garden fan, so if I do Princess Weekend, I get runDisney and a little bit of F&G all in one trip!
(Also, I like princesses ... but that's less relevant)

The Flower & Garden stuff was an unexpected bonus! I mean, it makes sense, not like they can set that up overnight. But I was pleasantly surprised!
This is why I don't have a drivers license. I never have to stop drinking so that I can drive. I can't drive either way. (Although, I'm not really a big drinker, so ... that drinking and driving thing rarely comes up for me)
It rarely comes up for me either, this was the first time in a loooong time!
See ... that is why you are a true runDisney master. The runDisney amateur picks out race costumes relevant to the race theme. The runDisney master picks out park outfits relevant to the race theme. Well done, runDisney master!
Thank you, thank you, I do what I can. princess:
Love the B&TB shirt! That is my favorite Disney movie and I couldn't believe I missed the half this year when that was the theme :sad: Counting down the days until March 17th!
Me too, I'm excited for the movie!!
Bummer about all the rain - I hope it cleared up for the race days!
It did! Whew!!
Ooooh you stayed at AKL! That is our DVC home resort - love it so much there!
I love it too! It is so serene and beautiful there. I am a little bummed that we didn't spend more time at the resort this trip, though, we were in the parks a lot!
Enjoying another great trip report.

We had the avocado margarita at the Hacienda a couple years ago and it was just weird. We didn't even finish it. So I don't think you missed much.
Thank you! Good to know about the avocado marg, I may just skip it in the future and go back to my one true love, the Grey Goose slushie in France! ::yes::
I am joining in! We were there for the 5k last Friday, along with @LindseyJo22 and a bunch of other DisBoarders. It was my DH and I's first run disney event and we had a great time despite us being non-runners. Definitely doing another one in the future! Going to start my TR soon too.
:wave:! Thanks for joining in! How did your foot hold up (the lurker on your PTR asks...maybe I should check your thread and see if you updated...)?? So glad that you guys had fun and I'm looking forward to reading your TR!
I love AKL and your room looks really nice. Love the pictures at Disney Springs. I haven't been there for a year. Always been so sidetracked by the parks. Which is probably a good thing as I can do some damage shopping there. Next time I'm gonna have to get a personalized ornament as well!
It was! Good size for 3 adults with a ton of crap. Disney Springs is just so different! I'm not sure I'd stop there if not for the Christmas ornaments, to be honest...I do love the Ghirardelli iced coffee though...and Sprinkles...and looking at purses...:upsidedow

Day 2: Thursday, February 23, 2017

Good morning, Animal Kingdom Lodge! And good-bye rain! :yay: Yay!
33170948665_a5006555ba_z.jpg

32355596883_98e92d4a0d_z.jpg

We got ready and grabbed a quick breakfast from the Mara. We were heading under the MK gates around 8:30. Up until that point I'd sort of forgotten that driving to the MK takes longer than the other parks (thanks to having to park at the TTC), so I realized quickly that we were going to miss rope drop. :(
33014474072_2d15e2f9a4_z.jpg

This meant that we missed our opportunity to ride 7DMT (the one FP+ I couldn't get for the weekend - I didn't know K & M were coming on this trip until late in the game, and by then, the FP+ were gone) with a short wait.
32788541560_6f4de3cca1_z.jpg

Step-sisters!
33129387536_146d3de5cf_z.jpg

So instead of Mine Train, we headed over to meet Ariel in her Grotto! No wait for this. K was hilarious...like, she was totally star-struck! (Cropped her out of this one.)
32394474313_ee959bccc5.jpg

Next we went on Ariel's ride and then headed over to see Gaston!

"Oh, I see you wore a shirt for me." hahaha. (K cropped out of this one too.)

33081771261_f01fbb91ab.jpg

After Gaston, we headed to Philharmagic (LOVE) and watched the Muppets for a bit in Liberty Square. We had an ADR at Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch...we both got the Colony Salad (mine with chicken, hers with Salmon) and split an order of the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake. Solid lunch!

Next up, we had FP+ for Haunted Mansion...which is, like, for sure in my top-5 at WDW.

You guys...K didn't like it. :faint: What?! I took a second to reevaluate our friendship and decided to go ahead and keep her around. One time in grad school, K embroidered Harry Potter onto a hand towel and gave it to me for my birthday, so she earned herself a few faux pas with that A+ gift. She DID like our next selection, which was Big Thunder.

Somewhere in here, I decided we had to check out the Tiki room! Another favorite of mine.

33170943875_5d44533928_z.jpg

K was stunned into silence. :rotfl2: She has texted me since the trip to tell me that occasionally she will break out into the Tiki birds' song. The Tiki Room stays with you for life!

33129379106_48a689f0f5_z.jpg

Splash Mountain was next at 2PM - the ride was in great shape. Love it!

32788534140_63f8072aaa_z.jpg

We braved a gigantic Starbucks line on Main Street before heading out of the park...it was time for the Princess Half Marathon Weekend expo. Would we make it out without getting punched by a fellow Princess?? Stay tuned to find out! :eek:

Last edited:
I love your morning pics of the AKL. The sun is so pretty! And I love that you can see the step sisters riding the carousel!

AKL looks so stunning!!! Too bad your rope drop didn't work out, but it seems like you got tons done regardless! Also, seriously, who doesn't like HM??!!

Beautiful pictures! I especially like the off-kilter one of the castle. You got quite a lot done in that short time, and I agree that Haunted Mansion is one of the best rides. Maybe she needs to try it again, could be an acquired taste?

Great pics! Love your Beauty and the beast inspired tees! Love mickeys PhilharMagic! So embarrassed to say I've never been to the tiki room!

Love the sunrise at AKL!

HM is one of the best rides ever. The tiki room does stay with you for life that is for sure.

She didn't like the HM??? :sad2: I don't even know what to say. That ride is such a classic and one of my all time faves. I even make my kids go on it even though they tell me it scares them a little - I'm like "suck it up girls, that one is mommy's favorite!" :rotfl2:
The tiki room - that is one I haven't had it in me to do in a long time. I just can't.
Beautiful castle pic! And I love that the stepsisters were on the carousel! I wish Disney would do more of that spontaneous fun stuff.
Even when we have a car, we always take the bus to the MK - it's so much faster. Such a hassle to park, take the tram, then get on the ferry (or monorail)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!