Running and Racing and Dancing and Chasing: A 2017 Princess Half Marathon Weekend Trip Report!

Isn't time alone just wondering and window shopping at Disney Springs the best? Your ornament looks stunning! May I ask how much a personalized one costs?

Following along! I just got back late last night and already can't wait to relive the weekend through your trip report :D

I totally agree about Disney Springs- It is tough to navigate, especially at night.

That ornament is so pretty! What a great job on personalizing it.

Those Kate Spade bags!! :cloud9:

I've stared at them longingly on line, but cannot bring myself to pay that kind of money for them. But I do adore them.

Those phone cases are cool but I wonder if they had one that said "Live like a Beast, Run like a Beauty?" I'd crack up if I saw a fellow running with a shirt like that at Princess. Some guy somewhere...make that happen!

Your rose hoodie is very race weekend appropriate. You get an A+ in "theme-ing." Walt would be proud.

I am ignoring those purses with the ears.

OMG that little medal painted on your ornament! Such a good idea. Do you happen to know if there is anything similar at DL? If not, I'm 100% going to hit up that shop in the Fall at WDW.

You know that every trip report you put out, I'm finding myself adding one more thing to my race weekend checklist right? Disney should give you some % kickback for being an "influencer."

Okay, I didn't know about these ornaments, but I'm going to have to get one in January! Such a great souvenir idea :)
I love them! I have been getting them since 2009 and they always turn out great!
Can't wait to read the rest! I'm still in Disney mode from the weekend, so I'm stalking all the TRs possible.
Ugh, me too - part of why I started this TR already! I can't believe I was there less than a week ago...:sad1:
So excited to be reading along on your latest trip!
Thanks for reading so far! :wave:
Isn't time alone just wondering and window shopping at Disney Springs the best? Your ornament looks stunning! May I ask how much a personalized one costs?
Yes!! I really enjoyed it - I think it may be my new WDW arrival day tradition!

There was some confusion with the pricing because initially I was overcharged by like $15 (which the CM noticed and I didn't!)...I want to say the ornament itself was $25 and I ended up paying $30-$40 total, and this was with the 20% AP discount. So it's not cheap, but I knew this was going to be my main souvenir from the trip, and it's so unique to the weekend, so I don't feel bad at all about spending the money. :)
Following along! I just got back late last night and already can't wait to relive the weekend through your trip report :D
Isn't it such a weird feeling to just have a trip be over after planning and planning for it? GAHHHH :sad:
I totally agree about Disney Springs- It is tough to navigate, especially at night.
Right?? I am pretty stubborn at Disney and feel like I have been there enough that I shouldn't need a map, but this was only my 2nd visit to DS so I should have just given in and gotten a map!
That ornament is so pretty! What a great job on personalizing it.
Right?? I love it!
Those Kate Spade bags!! :cloud9:

I've stared at them longingly on line, but cannot bring myself to pay that kind of money for them. But I do adore them.
GAHHH I know. I couldn't justify the bags themselves (they are SMALL! And not something I'm sure I'd use outside of a Disney trip) but I was really thinking about the card holders next to the bags. Proud of myself for resisting!
Those phone cases are cool but I wonder if they had one that said "Live like a Beast, Run like a Beauty?" I'd crack up if I saw a fellow running with a shirt like that at Princess. Some guy somewhere...make that happen!
Haha, not that I saw! I did see a few guys wear shirts that said "why are all these princesses chasing me?" which I thought was funny.
Your rose hoodie is very race weekend appropriate. You get an A+ in "theme-ing." Walt would be proud.
Thank you for noticing! ;)
I am ignoring those purses with the ears.
It's probably best that you do. Very small, very expensive bag!
OMG that little medal painted on your ornament! Such a good idea. Do you happen to know if there is anything similar at DL? If not, I'm 100% going to hit up that shop in the Fall at WDW.
Right?? I loved that so much! Since my Dopey one from January had a medal on it, I wanted one here too - I think I threw the CM for a loop asking for that, but she pulled through!

I don't think they have something similar at DL - at least not year-round. :( So sad! I think it's only something they do in December.
You know that every trip report you put out, I'm finding myself adding one more thing to my race weekend checklist right? Disney should give you some % kickback for being an "influencer."
You basically just described my dream job. I need to make that happen! ::yes::

I'm audibly oohing and aahing over everything! I should have went to the springs first thing! Ghirardelli makes everything better! Earl of sandwich, my favorite! Loooove the ornament and the Kate spades! Good thing I'll be heading back in 37 days!

So excited to see your TR! I'm still at WDW and I'm already missing the race weekend! I might be hooked ---- wine and dine is calling my name. Even solo might be fun....hmmmmm.

I always feel like the anticipation of turbulence is worse than the actual! I hate flying and it makes my anxiety that much higher.

We skipped our evening at Disney Springs this week and spent time at DHS. I'd love to get there but it isn't as conducive for the girls, esp the almost 2yr old.

I looked for a rundisney ornament at MK and was sad they don't seem to hav generic ones (and the PHM was sold out already at the expo when I got there). Love the ornament you got!

Joining in!! I'm Jackie :wave2: I just signed up for my first runDisney events, the 5 and 10Ks marathon weekend next year, so I am very interested in reading about all things runDisney in your TR!

I am with you on the flying thing--I only do it because it gets me to WDW faster, but there is absolutely nothing I enjoy about the whole thing!!! especially bumps in the sky!

Love your idea to commemorate the weekend with an ornament--it looks beautiful, and the little medal is just too much!

Can't wait to read more :)

Disney Springs is so much bigger its hard to take it all in. I can understand feeling that its not intuitive. I made three trips there in January and still had some navigation issues.

Love the ornament! I need to get one for Dopey next year. I really do like the phone cases they do, I have a Dopey one.

You can't go wrong with a Sprinkles cupcake!

If a Disney race weekend happened and there's no @Ariel484 trip report, did a race weekend really happen? :scratchin So glad you started a new trip report!

Not terrible, especially since this car was f-r-e-e! :banana: I picked a white Toyota Camry from the garage and headed to Disney Springs - I was parked by 12:30.

You're lucky! I got there Wednesday night and they only had 15 passenger vans. :crazy2: Uhh, no thank you, Alamo.

The ornament turned out amazing!

I love just walking around and window shopping at Disney Springs, but I rarely get to do it because the kiddos and the husband are not interested!

Yay - so excited to see another race trip report from you Shannon! :thumbsup2 I've read many (if not all) of your past ones. I ran the princess half in 2015, and was thinking of everyone last weekend. Planning to do the challenge in 2018 with my nieces, so I need to start getting pumped :goodvibes Okay, going back to read....

I'm audibly oohing and aahing over everything! I should have went to the springs first thing! Ghirardelli makes everything better! Earl of sandwich, my favorite! Loooove the ornament and the Kate spades! Good thing I'll be heading back in 37 days!
So, I'm gonna go ahead and be an enabler...I saw yesterday that the Kate Space bags are on sale! 25% off with promo code PURPOSE (ahem - @roxymama @ZellyB :angel:)
So excited to see your TR! I'm still at WDW and I'm already missing the race weekend! I might be hooked ---- wine and dine is calling my name. Even solo might be fun....hmmmmm.
I definitely recommend runDisney solo trips! I felt so bad that I was messing up the schedule for my friends this weekend - I felt pressure to keep up with them (not from them, from me). I sort of like totally controlling the schedule for weekends like this. I'm glad I went with them and it was fun, but I ran myself ragged!
I always feel like the anticipation of turbulence is worse than the actual! I hate flying and it makes my anxiety that much higher.
Yes! They made multiple announcements about it and had the flight attendants sit down and I was sort of going to my happy place and it wasn't that bad. Alright then!
We skipped our evening at Disney Springs this week and spent time at DHS. I'd love to get there but it isn't as conducive for the girls, esp the almost 2yr old.
I think it would be tough with young kids. Lots of stuff to look at but not really anything to do, ya know?
I looked for a rundisney ornament at MK and was sad they don't seem to hav generic ones (and the PHM was sold out already at the expo when I got there). Love the ornament you got!
The generic one is available online! There I go enabling again. :)
Joining in!! I'm Jackie :wave2: I just signed up for my first runDisney events, the 5 and 10Ks marathon weekend next year, so I am very interested in reading about all things runDisney in your TR!

Welcome!! I just did those races - you will love them. So fun!
I am with you on the flying thing--I only do it because it gets me to WDW faster, but there is absolutely nothing I enjoy about the whole thing!!! especially bumps in the sky!
Totally agree about the faster thing...I don't like flying but I REALLY don't like road trips, either!
Love your idea to commemorate the weekend with an ornament--it looks beautiful, and the little medal is just too much!
Yes, I love it! They had ornaments at the race expo, but I think mine is so much better! I may be biased though. :upsidedow
Can't wait to read more :)
Thanks!! :wave:
Disney Springs is so much bigger its hard to take it all in. I can understand feeling that its not intuitive. I made three trips there in January and still had some navigation issues.
Yeah, I think I really did not realize how big it was until this weekend! It felt like it took forever to get to Fit2Run - I had never been on that side of the complex. It's just massive!
Love the ornament! I need to get one for Dopey next year. I really do like the phone cases they do, I have a Dopey one.
You definitely should. They are so unique! I like the phone cases too...I just got one for the marathon so I thought I probably didn't need another just yet! :)
You can't go wrong with a Sprinkles cupcake!
Agreed. I should probably start trying different flavors though, this was my second Sprinkles visit and I got the same cupcake both times. :teeth:
If a Disney race weekend happened and there's no @Ariel484 trip report, did a race weekend really happen? :scratchin So glad you started a new trip report!
No, no it did not! :thumbsup2
You're lucky! I got there Wednesday night and they only had 15 passenger vans. :crazy2: Uhh, no thank you, Alamo.
Oh noooo. I felt nervous enough driving a Camry (normally I drive a Civic, which is a bit smaller). Can't imagine driving a huge van! :eek:
The ornament turned out amazing!
Didn't it?? The CMs there do such a great job!
I love just walking around and window shopping at Disney Springs, but I rarely get to do it because the kiddos and the husband are not interested!
Me too! I don't think Mr. Ariel484 would enjoy it much either, which is why it's perfect for solo time! ;)
Yay - so excited to see another race trip report from you Shannon! :thumbsup2 I've read many (if not all) of your past ones. I ran the princess half in 2015, and was thinking of everyone last weekend. Planning to do the challenge in 2018 with my nieces, so I need to start getting pumped :goodvibes Okay, going back to read....
Wow, thanks so much for reading all of my reports! :goodvibes So much fun that you are going to do the races with your nieces, you ladies will have a blast!!

"We stand on the brink of a new Renaissance"

Once I finished my cupcake, I headed over to Epcot. It was pouring AGAIN! But hey, no complaints...if it was gonna rain this weekend, I was happy that it was happening on Day 1 and not during the races!

32811685180_aaa165c67f_z.jpg

I waited a few minutes and the rain let up...whew!! I took the tram to the front of the park and could see the 5K finish line set up and ready to go! There were two people in front of me on the tram who had NOT waited for the rain to let up and they were completely drenched.

32788447560_f4f6d8ae2f_z.jpg

I was surprised to find more permanent metal detectors set up in front of Epcot...I didn't remember those being there in January.

Ahhhh...

33014396712_0e9340f0d9_z.jpg

First up - a ride on Spaceship Earth with all of my friends! And frizzy hair from the rain!

32788446920_a0a7ddcc99_z.jpg

The future is looking...hole-y!

32788447400_04c6b338d6_z.jpg

Flower & Garden stuff was already being set up!

32788446280_2cde42f39a_z.jpg

I headed over to Mexico. Today was National Margarita Day!

32788445170_d4715232bc_z.jpg

The CM informed me that La Cava had a couple of specials for the "holiday" - I’d originally planned on trying the Avocado Margarita, but the today's special flavors were $7 compared to the regular margarita price of $14! Avocado can wait.

I chose the Coconut Passionfruit special.

32788443790_f9b98ed1ea_z.jpg

Good, but so, so strong. The bartender did not skimp on the tequila. I am not a big drinker, and thus am a total lightweight...and tequila and I were not friends in college, so to speak, and I am still not over it. :faint: So I only drank half of this! A drawback to having the car, I guess - gotta stay sober to actually drive it!

Dinner was in Norway...ham and apple sandwich. YUUUMMMM! And a big cup of water to start hydrating for the races!

33014394362_3001105dc2_z.jpg

Didn't do much damage with this margarita...oh well!

33014393642_f4aec37056_z.jpg

I had a Frozen FP+ but the ride was down (why does this ride break down so much? Same thing happened to me in January!). K's flight was landing by now, so it was time to head out.

32325674084_79971d1f5e_z.jpg

32325672584_3613f3858b_z.jpg

33170879075_f8be60f773_z.jpg

JAMBO!
From Epcot, I headed home to...Animal Kingdom Lodge! It was pouring again, so I pulled up to the front of the resort, left Big Purple and Little Red with a CM, and parked. Thanks, CM!

33170878935_56b74f72f9_z.jpg

We had a pool-view room (5418). I had rented points for a DVC studio wayyyy back in March.

32788439630_c865026ea9_z.jpg

32788438580_793442f300_z.jpg

Just wanted to show you my shirt - gotta stay on-theme for the Belle-focused Princess Half!

"A Beauty But A Funny Girl"

32325671704_9b30a904e6_z.jpg

K arrived around 7:30 and we headed down to the Mara. She got the falafel and I got a Mickey premium bar!

32325671124_64acb24ec8_z.jpg

We headed out back to check out the savannah with night vision goggles, which was cool even though the savannah was pretty empty (just saw a zebra), and went to bed soon after because we're old and wanted to try to make rope drop at MK!

I'm going to put my Fitbit results at the end of each day - I walked WAY too much leading up to the half!

Steps: 17,660
Miles: 7.47

Up next: trying, and failing, to make rope drop!

Last edited:
Great report so far! It was great "running" into you during the half too!

I love the ornament idea!
Loved running into you too! I still can't believe you recognized me from behind! :goodvibes

Ornament is definitely my favorite souvenir to get at Disney! :yay:

I've never really eaten anything in Norway. Ham and apple is an interesting sandwich.

I have always wanted to stay at AKL. The room looks very nice.

That's a nice room view! I don't love flying much either, but I'll take it over driving to WDW anyday! I like eating at Norway a lot, but we got a school bread in November and it tasted like perfume, which is not how I remember it from past trips, it was gross.

Great pics!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!