Runaway Camper/Site Question

nickcapp

Mouseketeer
Hello!

Does anyone know if a Runaway Camper (one of those tiny two person trailers, not sure I can post a link) would classify as a pop up in terms of reserving the proper campsite at the fort? I decided to rent one of these and have a standard Tent or Pop-up site reserved. Is that the correct campsite to reserve? Camper is 8-10 feet long.

Also, do I need to park it on the slab or can I set it up in the sandy part of the site?

Thanks in advance!

Ok I wasn't going to say anything but .... last time I brought this up, me parking my 20 foot tip to tail non popup Travel Trailer in a non full hook up site, the discussion got so heated two threads were closed.

Having/not having a bathroom makes a difference as to the need for partial or full hook up sites. Since there are only 2 partial sites as compared to the 19 sites with hookups. This specific camper is like a Teardrop/Tab with no bathroom.

I think the best way, really, to see what you can or can not do (although I agree that the OP is and will be perfectly fine in 1500/2000 loop) , is to call the Fort registration/check in desk directly, tell them exactly what your camping unit is, and see what they say. I mean, Class A’s, C’s and larger travel trailers are pretty straight forward in my mind, but if in doubt....? Don’t want to be the start of another heated discussion, so won’t mention all the types of campers I have seen in those sites when I have had opportunity to walk through there. This is, however, why I think asking is the best policy. Being told yes or no by someone right there is pretty cut and dried (although that could lead to the other “heated” discussion about rules, what answer you get from what cast member, and what rules are or are not adhered too...lol...oh why so difficult). Although, out of curiosity, I went and looked at the site description and even THEIR OWN description leads to ambiguity: “Tent or Pop-Up Campsite” followed by the description “Room for a pop-up camper or van-type vehicle”. I suppose you could argue that 3 vehicles are described (1:tent 2:pop-up 3:van-type vehicle [which in and of itself is ambiguous— small class ‘C’? Class ‘B’? Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia?—-and many “Van-types” have a small bathroom :confused::faint::confused3]. And that would exclude teardrops (which obviously seem just fine in those loops).

Ok, obviously I was bored/free enough to go on about something where I have no bone in this fight. I guess I just wanted to go on about why (while all the information on here is invaluable, fun and leads to a great community interaction, and more often than not, truth that can be taken at face value) certain things are better checked with the horse and his mouth (or at least a bus driver 😁)

Back in May we were in the 1500 loop, There were 4 travel trailers ranging from 13ft -18ft in the loop.

We have booked a tent/pop up site for August as we have a new travel trailer (15ft)

We don’t need sewer hook ups so there’s no reason for us to spend the extra money.

I took the suggestion and called The Fort and they basically read the same information on the website but added the phrase pop-up style or similar so it looks like I'm good. They asked me for the dimensions gave me the thumbs up as it "fits" and made sure I didn't need any hookups. Thanks for the help!

Lol, just wait till i get my pop up there. Its 20 feet closed 8-)

My old Jayco 2005 12HW was 19' closed. But I hated being only able to camp in three seasons in Alabama (late spring, summer, early fall). Now that the kids are gone (mostly) and I need less space, having a hard-sided folding trailer (Aliner) is nice because I can REASONABLY camp year round (4-season).

The main thing is getting guests to understand (who reserve the campsites) what they are getting (or not). Short narrow pavement with a tent pad and no sewer ==> Tent site. If you can live with it, great. If not look at the next level up.

I've seen all manor of RV's in the Tent sites. Disney is not going to kick anybody out or prevent them from checking in regardless of what they pull in/drive/drag behind them. Caveat Emptor. Buyer beware. Know what you are getting. Or signed up for.

For the OP, you can put it on the pavement or back on the tent pad as you and your provider desire. The one thing about back on the pad is that shoes track in grit and particles into the interior (floor and bedding). A good shoe regime (when we had several kids) or frequent broom use can take care of that. Actually (and I have a popup and camped in the Tent sites frequently) as long as the DOORWAY or step there from is over the pavement, you can save yourself a lot of grief and still put the rear jacks on the pad.

Bama Ed

PS - I like camping in the winter months (Dec-Jan) particularly in the Florida area because that's when me and DW can get time off from work. We went to the FL Keys two years ago and swam with the Manatees last year. This year I might give it a rest (but I have a spot reserved) but I am ALREADY scoping my Christmas week 2020/New Years 2021 spot after the DISMeet a few months prior. I just love watching bowl games in the sunshine. :beach::happytv:

Last edited:
Im looking into a bigger tt now ed, unfortunately i dont want to spend the $$$. It will not give me much more room, just more space to store stuff and the abillity to check on stuff without poping it up. I just bought a new propane hose for my grill to conect it to the pop up, i cant fint it now. Lol. I poped up the pup , cant find it. It may be in the front storage box, but i have to pop it down to check that. This is why i need the TT. Or a better orginizational system.

And i agree about the pad, less mess in the camper is less cleaning to do while your there. Bring a dry erase marker, write pop up on the side of the camper, no one will be the wiser! TBH i dont think they care much. But they do care if you have to find a dump station they dont have. Thats why i think they double check if you have any waste tanks. It will be hard enough to find an empty site to dump my chemical toilet, i haven't even thought of the gray water tank yet!

But they do care if you have to find a dump station they dont have. Thats why i think they double check if you have any waste tanks. It will be hard enough to find an empty site to dump my chemical toilet, i haven't even thought of the gray water tank yet!

Well, sjm9911, all I can say is that in my experience it's NEVER been hard to find an empty Full/Preferred/Premium site in the morning to dump my tanks before hitting the road for home (never stayed long enough to require a mid-stay dump). YMMV.

But as I've said before, you and me with our little rigs can go small or upgrade as required. The big guys can't downsize to fit on the smaller sites (both at the Fort and elsewhere).

Man October 2020 sounds so far away....

Bama Ed

I took the suggestion and called The Fort and they basically read the same information on the website but added the phrase pop-up style or similar so it looks like I'm good. They asked me for the dimensions gave me the thumbs up as it "fits" and made sure I didn't need any hookups. Thanks for the help!

I'm just not sure exactly what the "phrase pop-up style or similar" means. To me its sounds like they are describing aliners or trailmanors and the like.

I'm just not sure why they don't just market them as partial or full hook ups and give a properly defined length limit and then avoid questions like this.

Picture added for reference, note I now have a Frontier to pull it.

received_1967287390004493 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
They really only asked about the size and hookups. I think that is where the "similar" statement came from. This Runaway RangeRunner is 6X8. (11.4 X 7.8 Hitch/Wheelbase) Its similar in size to a small Pop-up. Its not even 5.5 FT high!

They really only asked about the size and hookups. I think that is where the "similar" statement came from. This Runaway RangeRunner is 6X8. (11.4 X 7.8 Hitch/Wheelbase) Its similar in size to a small Pop-up. Its not even 5.5 FT high!

Yes and this is last I will drag this out, I hope :rolleyes1, my TT is smaller then maybe 75% of all traditional pop ups when they are unfolded. And not sure height comes into play.

We have a T@g max and a 10 x 10 Pahaque side tent that we've used for years now. We've camped mostly at Spanish Moss Lane (2000 loop) which is the tent/popup site. Our mini is about 13 ft. tip to tail. We fit both trailer and tent on the shell/sand with no problem. We also have camped at preferred sites--loops 200 and 300--with no problem. We don't have a bathroom, but CM's have bent over backwards to help us get close to bathrooms.

Attachments

• IMG_20181223_065250348.jpg
    IMG_20181223_065250348.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20181225_071526358.jpg
    IMG_20181225_071526358.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20181231_092619672_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181231_092619672_HDR.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 20
Just jumping on here since the title piqued my curiosity. What about a truck camper? We have a Lance 825 that basically takes the room of a parking space while it's on the truck.
Granted, this is hypothetical, as I don't see us driving all the way to the Fort from Texas with it, and if we did, we usually like to have hookups, but don't necessarily need full hookups.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter