Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

THIS is why I read journals: so much detail from an entirely new perspective! I love hearing about which trains and why, what you're gonna wear, what you fuel with, etc... I've never had to subway to a race (is that a verb?) and now I'm seriously impressed that you are so adept at trains. However, I am similar to you in that I stick to beans and gummy candy as opposed to complex fuels like gels, etc. Keep the details coming and best luck in the race!

THIS is why I read journals: so much detail from an entirely new perspective! I love hearing about which trains and why, what you're gonna wear, what you fuel with, etc... I've never had to subway to a race (is that a verb?) and now I'm seriously impressed that you are so adept at trains. However, I am similar to you in that I stick to beans and gummy candy as opposed to complex fuels like gels, etc. Keep the details coming and best luck in the race!

I'm glad you appreciate the details ... I never know if I'm oversharing or just sharing things that people may want to see a different perspective on.

Yes, subway is a verb. I've subway'ed to a bunch of races, so this is nothing new to me. And I've been taking the subway for most of my life, so I've gotten pretty good at knowing what to do when things are running funny ... although even I do have to occasionally check a map when something is running in a way I'm not used to.

Good to know that I'm not the only one who sticks to jelly beans as fuel. I can handle the gels before the race, but during a race (or any run) ... I can't do those complex fuels. I honestly thought I was the only one :)

Thank you for the kind words and good wishes!

Non-Race Update: I think the shoes could have been the issue on the treadmill. I treadmilled in my long run shoes today and my knee was fine. I'll have to experiment a bit more, and next time I go to the running store maybe I'll talk to them about it and get some opinions/ideas/thoughts about getting separate treadmill shoes.

Glad you had a comfortable treadmill run! It's funny because the shoes I use for treadmill running are ones I was actively starting to dislike for road running, but they're great on the treadmill.

Loved reading about your race plans, too, even if they do change! I also can't do the complex fueling. DH loves things like honey stinger waffles and stuff, but I can't manage it on a long run. I tend to just use cliffbloks. I did start using tailwind in my water at the end of my HM cycle last year and that was good, too.

Glad you had a comfortable treadmill run! It's funny because the shoes I use for treadmill running are ones I was actively starting to dislike for road running, but they're great on the treadmill.

The really funny thing about it is that I used to run in one model of shoe, but these long run shoes are kinda heavy, so I wanted something a little lighter for shorter runs (for long runs I like the extra cushion). I figured it would be nice to not be thumping down so hard on the treadmill in heavy shoes ... it turns out, apparently I do better in the heavy shoes on the treadmill.
I think my goal is to find something between the two for the treadmill ... something that has the cushioning that apparently I need to protect my knee on the treadmill, but isn't quite so heavy.

Loved reading about your race plans, too, even if they do change! I also can't do the complex fueling. DH loves things like honey stinger waffles and stuff, but I can't manage it on a long run. I tend to just use cliffbloks. I did start using tailwind in my water at the end of my HM cycle last year and that was good, too.

Thanks!
The more I post, the more I learn that other people are like me ... I honestly always thought I was the only one who didn't do the complex fueling. Good to know that you've found something simpler that works for you! (I've never tried the cliffblocks ... I just stick with my jelly beans :))
I haven't tried adding anything to my water ... I like my water plain. I do also carry something with electrolytes (usually vitamin water) on long runs during the summer, but I still keep my regular water separate.

Post Packet Pickup 'Pdate
Number: Let's all think good thoughts for bib #3184. That number has no personal significance to me, so I'm hoping one of y'all has a special connection to that number that will bring me good luck!
Sad news ... no bobblehead. But I did get a hat (and a gel that I can't use, but whatever). I may go against "nothing new on race day" and wear the hat because it will match my outfit better than my other hat.

Goals: Today I kinda solidified my goals. I think goal #1 should be fairly achievable, and goal 2 is somewhat possible. Goal 3 is where it gets complicated (since that PR was set on a fairly flat course), but we'll see
#1. New NYRR Best Pace (current: 12:01 min/mile; goal pace: 12:00 min/mile; goal time: 2:37:12)
#2. New Central Park half PR (current PR: 2:34:21, goal time: 2:34:20)
#3. New Half Marathon PR (current PR: 2:31:08, goal time: 2:31:07)
"Can't let myself think about it" Goals:
#4. Move up a NYRR corral (current corral: L, goal corral: K, goal pace: 11:29, goal time: 2:30:26)
#5. Sub-2:30 (goal pace: 11:27, goal time: 2:29:59)

Family Update:
Conversation with my dad about the race tonight ...
Him: Where is this race?
Me: Central Park
Him: How long is it?
Me: Half marathon
Him: I'm not going to drive you to the race and wait for a half
Me: Okay, I'll take the subway
He drives me to my Thanksgiving race every year (because Brooklyn) and I've never asked him to drive me to any other race (including the two other races I've run in Central Park), so naturally, he thought I was going to ask for a ride. Parents ...
(EDIT: I may have asked him to drive me to the United Airlines NYC Half. I can't remember. If I haven't yet, then I will. But again ... Brooklyn. I've never asked him to drive me to a race in Manhattan.)

Coffee Update: This morning was Archer Farms Caramel Macchiato. And then later in the day I had Earl Gray tea at this super British tea place with friends.

Last edited:
Definitely thinking good thoughts for #3184! Looking forward to reading about how you did with those goals, I bet you'll knock several off!

Number:
Go #3184!! You'll be awesome x3184!
(Random #s always make me think of the scene in "You've Got Mail" discussing 152....)
upload_2018-1-18_9-50-19.jpeg

Goals:
You'll crush 'em!!

Family:
HA! This sounds like such a dad thing to say!

Coffee:
I am intrigued by the "super brittish tea place".... probably because I obsessed with the royals.
Have you (or anyone?) tried the new Blonde Roast at Starbs? I haven't and not sure I will? I like my espresso strong..

Coffee update: Loving my programmable coffee maker and waking up to hot coffee in my apartment. Plus, I've already saved half of the cost that I spent on said coffee maker by not buying super fancy coffee on my weekend dog walks and not stopping on the way to work. Look at me, so fiscally responsible!

Race thoughts: Love the goals! I especially like the ones with the caveat. The hat is adorable, but I'm sad you didn't get a bobblehead. Hopefully the Park warms up before this weekend!

Coffee:
Have you (or anyone?) tried the new Blonde Roast at Starbs? I haven't and not sure I will? I like my espresso strong..

I actually prefer the Blonde Roast coffee at Starbucks as it's smoother and doesn't taste as scorched as the dark coffee. It's still the same percentage of caffeine, just a shorter roasting time.

I actually prefer the Blonde Roast coffee at Starbucks as it's smoother and doesn't taste as scorched as the dark coffee. It's still the same percentage of caffeine, just a shorter roasting time.

Me too!! I actually drink blonde roast coffee (veranda blend k cup) every single morning!

I should have clarified and said the Blonde Roast Espresso :)

Have you (or anyone?) tried the new Blonde Roast at Starbs? I haven't and not sure I will?
Yesterday my husband got me the Blonde Vanilla Latte and it was DELICIOUS.

I'm definitely sad you didn't get the bobblehead, booo. But glad you got the hat and that it matches with your outfit! I'm excited to hear how your race goes! Dad's sure do say the funniest things. My father in law asked me how many people were at the race I did last weekend and how many "marathons" there were. I was like, "well, the marathon is just one race on it's own, soooo...." LOL.

Number:
Go #3184!! You'll be awesome x3184!
(Random #s always make me think of the scene in "You've Got Mail" discussing 152....)
upload_2018-1-18_9-50-19-jpeg.296176

I have a confession ... I've never seen You've Got Mail.
I did, however, just watch that scene on YouTube, and we're going to start a new game ... guess the significance of "3184"

I'll go first ... 3184 is the number of calories I will eat on race day.

Goals:
You'll crush 'em!!

Thanks - I hope you're right!

Family:

:)
My dad is such a dad sometimes ...

Coffee:
I am intrigued by the "super brittish tea place".... probably because I obsessed with the royals.

It's called Tea and Sympathy - it's basically like a tiny British tea room where they serve British tea and British food and are just generally very British. They have a store next door that sells packaged tea and assorted British products (like actual British Cadbury chocolate, which I was very good and didn't buy).

I have not. I actually don't know that I've had any of their blonde stuff. Next time I head to Starbucks will probably be Sunday, and I'm not going to mix it up on race day (even post-race), but maybe I'll try it at some point next week, just to see what it's like.

Coffee update: Loving my programmable coffee maker and waking up to hot coffee in my apartment. Plus, I've already saved half of the cost that I spent on said coffee maker by not buying super fancy coffee on my weekend dog walks and not stopping on the way to work. Look at me, so fiscally responsible!

Yay! Waking up to hot coffee and being fiscally responsible ... what could be better?

Race thoughts: Love the goals! I especially like the ones with the caveat. The hat is adorable, but I'm sad you didn't get a bobblehead. Hopefully the Park warms up before this weekend!

Thanks!
I'm a little sad about the bobblehead too, but I do love the hat. Weather forecast has us warming up a bit starting tomorrow ... I hope the forecast is right!

I like the scorched coffee taste ...

Yesterday my husband got me the Blonde Vanilla Latte and it was DELICIOUS.

This is good to hear. I'm a big vanilla latte fan in general, so I'm definitely looking forward to trying it with the blonde!

I'm definitely sad you didn't get the bobblehead, booo. But glad you got the hat and that it matches with your outfit! I'm excited to hear how your race goes! Dad's sure do say the funniest things. My father in law asked me how many people were at the race I did last weekend and how many "marathons" there were. I was like, "well, the marathon is just one race on it's own, soooo...." LOL.

I thought of you when I didn't get the bobblehead! Oh well, I guess I'll survive with just the cute hat.
My dad has run marathons, so at least he knows how many marathons there are in a marathon, but he does sometimes ask me things like how many people were at the race. Dads are entertaining sometimes.

I have a confession ... I've never seen You've Got Mail.
I did, however, just watch that scene on YouTube, and we're going to start a new game ... guess the significance of "3184"

I'll go first ... 3184 is the number of calories I will eat on race day.

Ah! It's one of my all time favorite movies! Please watch it :)

3184 is the number of people you will pass during the race!

Ah! It's one of my all time favorite movies! Please watch it :)

You've Got Mail is my favorite "when I'm sick" movie. I just need that and some tomato soup and I'm all set.

So ... I guess I need to put it on my "movies to watch at some point" list.
I do always need a new "when I'm sick" movie.

3184 is the number of people you will pass during the race!

There are only about 5,000 people in the race (I think), but ... sure. Let's go with that.

Coming Soon (aka after I put on adult clothing and make myself some breakfast): Medal Reveal!
Coming Later (aka either this afternoon or tomorrow at some point): Race Day Packing List

Medal Reveal (and Other Updates)

This was posted on NYRR's social media accounts this morning:
DT5odfBW0AAKR2o.jpg:large

My Thoughts:
I like it. I wasn't wild about the yellow at first, but it's growing on me. I kinda knew that this is what it would look like (last year's was pretty similar, but with more blue instead of yellow), it's just the colors that surprised me. But I'm cool with it.
That statue you see in the background is Fred Lebow. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they move the statue to the race area for race day. If not, I'll track it down in its usual spot. But the plan is to get a post-race medal picture with that statue.

Weather Update: We've gotten to the point where I can check the hourly forecast on weather.com. Looks like 37° at the start of the race (feels like 35°), going up to 40° by the end. Not as warm as I was hoping for, but certainly not terrible. According to Garmin, my February half last year was 37°, so this is about the same weather.
Outfit Update: I'm still not 100% sure, but I think I will go with the blue and white, and just wear my blue Raw Threads hoodie under the white shirt (I tried it on and it fits). I can probably also wear a short-sleeve shirt and/or tank top under the hoodie if I think I need it. Not sure yet if I'm wearing my black fleece tights or blue non-fleece tights. I will definitely wear my gloves, because I didn't for last year's winter half and I regretted it (plus, my gloves are blue, so they match).

Coffee Update: Cold Starbucks Via Instant with Milk and light ice. I was too tired for coffee maker and wasn't in the mood to heat water (and I don't generally stock cold brew during the winter). It's drinkable but not particularly good.

Random Update: I now have 4 phone cases (it's a long story involving friends and this Samsung experience thing ... well, two of them I had already, but two of them are from the Samsung thing). None of them fit in my running belt. (What I'll probably do is take the case that has a spot for credit cards, put my metrocard in there, and take the phone out of the case pre-race and put it in my bag check bag. That's what I've done for prior races.)

The new phone cases:
25907700848_f9ba4fa10b_z.jpg

(I use the one with the cactus ... my friend Tony drew that for me)

Tracking Update: When I search for my bib number on the live tracking site, nothing comes up. NYRR assigns bib numbers when you pick up your bib (it makes it faster because they don't have to search for your bib - they just give you the one on the top of the stack and attach it to your registration using some fancy QR code/barcode scanning), and I'm a little nervous that something went wrong. I'm trying to be calm about it, and I do have a plan - I will check the live tracking right after I finish the race, and if it doesn't have anything, then I'll talk to someone from NYRR, show them my bib and my Garmin data, and hope they do something to fix it. I'm hoping that it's all properly linked and just slow to update, but in case it is an actual problem ... I'm glad I have a plan.
TL;DR - I will post an update Saturday night (along with a link for tracking), but it's possible that you may have to track me by name, not bib number

Side Note: Thinking about future races ... the May race I'm looking at is Japan-themed. So I'm thinking there will be an INKnBURN investment (once I have money for buying the things). So feel free to share your favorite Japan-appropriate InB shirts here (since I know we have lots of InB enthusiasts here ... not going to tag everyone because I'd probably forget someone and feel bad, but you know who you are!)

Apparently I wasn't getting updates about your report! I am excited to hear about the race now that I'm back in the loop!!!
Also I love the InB sidenote...DO IT!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter