Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

to chime in on the coffee talk: i drink black coffee (hot or iced) and black tea because #lawschool. I actually bit the bullet this morning and bought a programmable coffee pot so that I stop spending $3.50 on designer black coffee every morning on the way to work. we'll see how it goes.

(i do have a french press and i love it, but it just doesn't work with my morning schedule)

The programmable coffee maker is a lifesaver. I used to get up, put up the coffee, and then get ready, and it was done when I was ready to leave.
(Also, I feel like any sort of graduate (or even college) education should come with free coffee. Because you're already paying for the education, the least they could do is provide you with the tools you need to survive that education!)

Last Mini-Update:
I don't know how to embed videos from twitter, so you'll have to click if you want to see the souvenir I'm getting from the race - https://twitter.com/nyrr/status/951419709924282368

I'm awaiting information about whether I get the bobblehead or just the hat. I want both (I collect bobbleheads), but I'm okay with just the hat. I actually kinda love it.

I'll pick up my stuff next week ... but more on that Monday or Tuesday.

Last Mini-Update:
I don't know how to embed videos from twitter, so you'll have to click if you want to see the souvenir I'm getting from the race - https://twitter.com/nyrr/status/951419709924282368

I'm awaiting information about whether I get the bobblehead or just the hat. I want both (I collect bobbleheads), but I'm okay with just the hat. I actually kinda love it.

I'll pick up my stuff next week ... but more on that Monday or Tuesday.
That bobblehead is awesome!! I hope you get both!

That bobblehead is awesome!! I hope you get both!

My guess is that its probably just the hat, but I am hoping I'm wrong and its both.
Maybe if I tell them I collect bobbleheads they'll give me the bobblehead even if they're not supposed to ...

The programmable coffee maker is a lifesaver. I used to get up, put up the coffee, and then get ready, and it was done when I was ready to leave.
(Also, I feel like any sort of graduate (or even college) education should come with free coffee. Because you're already paying for the education, the least they could do is provide you with the tools you need to survive that education!)

My journal office in law school did have a coffee pot. After the first 2 weeks, no one bought creamer to refill what had been used, so I learned to drink it with just sugar. About 3 months after that, the Costco Splenda box ran out, and I learned to drink it black. Ahh, survival of the fittest.

My journal office in law school did have a coffee pot. After the first 2 weeks, no one bought creamer to refill what had been used, so I learned to drink it with just sugar. About 3 months after that, the Costco Splenda box ran out, and I learned to drink it black. Ahh, survival of the fittest.

I feel like people drink black coffee either because they're too lazy to put anything in their coffee or because they're out of the things that go in the coffee and they still want to drink it.
Survival of the fittest indeed ...

I feel like people drink black coffee either because they're too lazy to put anything in their coffee or because they're out of the things that go in the coffee and they still want to drink it.
Survival of the fittest indeed ...

Hey now... Black coffee is completely delightful!!

Black coffee drinker here, too : )

Black coffee drinker here, too : )

Um ... no comment?
I kid, I kid ... it's just that a lot of people seem to start out with milk/creamer/sugar/sweetener and then switch to black coffee when the extras become either a hassle or unavailable ... so I guess we can go with "people who didn't like black coffee before learn to like it when it's all that's available" ... that way we're also including people who have always liked black coffee :)

I'm going to go back to my Starbucks frou-frou drink now (j/k it's an unsweetened iced coffee with milk ... it's disgusting out, but I figured iced was a safer bet for a long train ride)

I will admit that I have in previous years of my life use creamer in my coffee. But I also used to drink only sweet wine. But as I got older my pallet changed and now I prefer my coffee black. Plus it's an easy way for me to cut out unnecessary calories.

I will admit that I have in previous years of my life use creamer in my coffee. But I also used to drink only sweet wine. But as I got older my pallet changed and now I prefer my coffee black. Plus it's an easy way for me to cut out unnecessary calories.

Valid points. I'll allow palette changes :)

So ... I just finished my morning Starbucks. There's a Dunkin Donuts at the Trenton train station. My train doesn't leave for another 20 minutes. My wallet is buried in my bag. Do I go for another coffee?

Update: I'm at 30th Street now ... waiting for my last of 3 trains (5 if you count the 2 subway lines). There's a Dunkin Donuts here too ... good to know for the trip home. Unclear whether this place has a bathroom.

Sorry for the random babble, I get really bored waiting for trains.

Black coffee drinker here as well. Prefer Starbucks Blonde roast but rarely available. If I go for frou frou? Iced Mocha Latte. Then my sister taught me how to make iced coffee in about 3 minutes last summer, and it is my favorite non-water daily drink during hot weather.

Insta-pack of coffee in a little hot water in the bottom of a glass, dissolve crystals, fill glass with ice, fill the rest of the way with any milk (I like almond). Stir. You could add sugar or syrup to the hot water, too, if you wanted it.

Love coffee/running thread, BTW.

I don't drink coffee (GASP!), but a donut sounds really good right now. LOL

A donut always sounds really good ...

Black coffee drinker here as well. Prefer Starbucks Blonde roast but rarely available. If I go for frou frou? Iced Mocha Latte. Then my sister taught me how to make iced coffee in about 3 minutes last summer, and it is my favorite non-water daily drink during hot weather.

Insta-pack of coffee in a little hot water in the bottom of a glass, dissolve crystals, fill glass with ice, fill the rest of the way with any milk (I like almond). Stir. You could add sugar or syrup to the hot water, too, if you wanted it.

Love coffee/running thread, BTW.

Thanks for chiming in ... apparently I'm very wrong about black coffee (and black coffee drinkers).

That's how I used to do iced coffee before I started cold brewing. It's super easy and tastes good!

I'm still in Philly, but when i get back ... someone remind me to share the details of the cold brew conversation I had yesterday. It's always nice to chat with a fellow cold brew enthusiast.

Race Week Update

* I’m writing this in Pages on the MacBook on the way home from Philly (and just copying it over to the DIS when I get home), so I apologize for literally everything. Also, I was planning on stopping for coffee at Trenton but my SEPTA train came in late and I had to hustle to make my NJT train, so I’m now undercaffeinated and slightly unhappy.
* Also, sorry for the lack of pictures, but I didn't take any this weekend and I'm too lazy to track down fun pictures.

Training Update: Last long run went decently, especially considering the fact that I was still dealing with some residual snow. This week’s training will kinda be played by ear - the plan is 5 miles Tuesday, 19 minutes varied speed intervals Wednesday, and 3 miles Thursday, but we’ll see if that changes.

Packet Pickup: I have plans in the city on both Wednesday and Thursday. I will do packet pickup on one of those two days. Not sure which yet … probably depends where I end up going on Wednesday. If I’m in the area on Wednesday, I’ll do it then, if not, I’ll do it Thursday when I have my big backpack with me.

Race Outfit: As of when I last checked, Sunday’s forecasted high is 51. For most people, that means no layers (in fact, most of you probably run in short sleeves in that weather). For me … lots of layers. Okay, maybe not lots, but some. I haven’t made a final decision, but I’m thinking maybe the blue and white outfit with my blue Raw Threads hoodie underneath the white shirt (assuming it fits ... I haven't tried that combo yet). But we’ll see … I’ll probably decide on Friday or Saturday.

Transportation Plan: Expecting the subways to run close to normal on a weekend is like expecting runDisney to lower race prices … it ain’t gonna happen. Looking at the weekender … F trains are running on the local track in Queens (which adds 20-30 minutes to the commute), and nothing is running uptown on the local track along CPW. Which means I’m going up the east side. I’ll probably take the F to the Q and walk from 96th St. I have to look at the map again, but I think the race starts closer to the west side, so … yay, I get to walk crosstown before the race starts. I’ll double check Trip Planner closer to the race to see when I should leave, but … right now I’m thinking no later than 6. Yuck.

Race Nutrition: I tried the GU Caramel Macchiato on Thursday’s long run. That’s a no - the texture doesn’t work for me, and I didn’t find it to have much of a taste. I’ll be going with a Chocolate Cherry Clif Shot Gel (unless I can get my hands on a Mocha before Sunday). I haven’t refilled the jelly beans since my last long run, so I have to do that. If I wear a skirt with pockets, I’ll bring another bag of jelly beans to keep in my pocket, but if not, I’ll just make sure I have a full pack of Sport Beans (I usually eat half a pack at a time) in case I need extra nutrition.

Race Plan: Intervals of 4 minutes running/1 minute walking for as long as I can handle it (hopefully the whole race). I’m hoping for a pace faster than my current NYRR best pace (12:01), which means faster than ~2:37. I’d like to get closer to 2:30 if I can, but I don’t want to push myself too hard on the hills. I’ll be carrying my 32-oz water bottle, but will still probably stop at all of the water stops.
If I’m feeling really good, then I will try to keep the 2:30 pacer either in my sights or behind me at all times (I can’t run with the pacer because I do run/walk, and I can’t imagine the NYRR pacers do that). But that’s only if I’m feeling really good … I don’t want to try to pressure myself into running 2:30 if it’s just not the day for it.

Post-Race: No idea. Giant (ie Venti) Starbucks, but that’s all I know. I think the C is running downtown on the local track, so I could take that, or I could go East Side. Not sure what I'm going to do about breakfast either ... I may still have an uncrustable in the freezer, but I'm not sure.
There’s free medal engraving at the NYRR RUNCenter (for NYRR members) on Sunday and Monday, so I’ll either go post-race or on Monday to get my medal engraved. Because if it’s free, why not go?
ETA: Just remembered that if I take the C, then it's super easy to get off at Columbus Circle, go get my medal engraved, and then walk to the F at 57th. The only problem is ... not sure I want to wait in the long medal-engraving line post-race.

So … that’s the plan. I want coffee.
Speaking of coffee … Coffee Update:
Beth and I had dinner by friends of hers on Friday night, and the husband makes cold brew, We talked about it a bit. I had heard that he steeped his cold brew significantly longer than I do, so I was originally planning to just be fairly condescending, but I decided to go into the conversation with an open mind. It turns out, he grinds his own beans and uses a very course grind … hence the longer steeping period. So in the end, it was a good thing that I went into there asking about his process instead of just criticizing.
Also … now I’m kind of thinking about buying a grinder. But really, I’m just going to get annoyed if I start buying beans and end up having to grind them every time I make coffee.

Final Thoughts: I'm sure almost everything in this post will change between now and Sunday. I will try to post the changes when they happen. I'll also post tracking info closer to the race for those of you who want to follow along.
If you're looking to give me mid-race encouragement, I usually post a picture on Instagram pre-race, so people will often comment on that with encouragement. Or you could post here. I'm equally unlikely to look at both (occasionally I check my phone mid-race, but I don't always look at alerts, I just like seeing that they're there). If you're in NYC and want to come cheer me on ... please do! The race is in Central Park, and anywhere in the park should be a decent spectating area (I can post a map if anyone is interested in the exact course).

Last edited:
Enjoy your race! You've got some good plans in place, even if they do change 1000 times between now and then! Good luck!

Also, I've enjoyed the coffee chatter part of this thread. It has made me realize I know nothing about coffee.

I'm playing mega journal catch-up and can't believe I missed all the coffee talk!!! I'm trying to learn to drink black but have only gotten as far as cutting out the sugar and going lighter on the cream. Work in progress. For calorie sake.

Getting to races by taking multiple trains plus walking sounds extra challenging. I applaud your effort in mapping out the best routes and waking up early. I could see me doing that if we lived right in the city still.

Looking forward to your race updates. Good luck!!!!!

Enjoy your race! You've got some good plans in place, even if they do change 1000 times between now and then! Good luck!

Thank you! Even though I know the plans are going to change, I'm fine if they don't ... I definitely think I've got a good plan for this race!

Also, I've enjoyed the coffee chatter part of this thread. It has made me realize I know nothing about coffee.

I don't really know that much about coffee either ... I just like to talk about it. I learn more and more about it every day. I'm glad you're enjoying the chatter even if you don't know much about coffee!
Good luck!! I know you’re gonna crush it - both the race and the post-race Starbucks. :yay:

Thanks! I know I will definitely crush the post-race Starbucks ... I always do :)

I'm playing mega journal catch-up and can't believe I missed all the coffee talk!!! I'm trying to learn to drink black but have only gotten as far as cutting out the sugar and going lighter on the cream. Work in progress. For calorie sake.

Don't worry, there will be plenty of coffee talk in the future. That's a new feature of my journal. It started off as just races, then races with a little training, and now it's races, a little training, and coffee.
I don't think I'll ever fully switch over to black ... I still put milk in my coffee. But I use nonfat milk, so it's not as bad. Cutting out sugar and going lighter on the cream is a really good start!

Getting to races by taking multiple trains plus walking sounds extra challenging. I applaud your effort in mapping out the best routes and waking up early. I could see me doing that if we lived right in the city still.

I think this is another one of those New Yorker vs. Not New Yorker things. The two trains is not bad. I've had commutes to work that were 3 trains. Transfers are easy. The crosstown walking is not something I'm excited for, but it's still something I do all the time (just maybe not always on race day). That's just how you get around in NYC (especially in Manhattan)
The early wakeup is a little annoying, but I'd probably still have to wake up somewhat early if I was going by car, so it's not the worst.

Looking forward to your race updates. Good luck!!!!!

Thank you!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter