FFigawi

DIS Veteran
Added! I've never read or watched Game of Thrones - Should I add that to the list too?? I tend to be weary of things that are "too popular."
Yes you should. The first three books are excellent, as are most of the seasons of the show. The Binge Mode podcasts from the show are very entertaining, though I think the Harry Potter one’s are better.

Katie Little

Mouseketeer
Lynchburg 5k Recap

This recap starts on Thursday night. I was working my closing shift when I was transferred a sup call at 11:54pm (we close at 12a - so that's how close I was to not having to deal with this.) This customer was extremely irate because she couldn't figure out how to use her computer. She was literally screaming that she only shops with our company under pain of death. If she could get her kids clothes anywhere else she would.. She had signed into her google chrome account instead of her shopping account and was freaking out that she couldn't get her AMEX unsaved. Also, because she didn't sign into her shopping account she didn't qualify for our companies reward program. She was literally screaming profanities at the top of her lungs.. ONE OF MY ASSOCIATE'S CUSTOMERS HEARD HER THROUGH THE PHONE AND ASKED THE ASSOCIATE WHO WAS GETTING YELLED AT!!!! So needless to say when I got off the phone with that lady I was a little shaken up. As the closing supervisor I have to be the last one out of the building so I waited till everyone was gone and tried to finish up my work. I was getting ready to leave and out of no where.. HUGE crocodile tears... and then I was sitting at my desk sobbing. I pulled it together long enough to get home from work, but I pretty much cried myself to sleep and didn't fall asleep till around 4am. Here's the thing. It's not just that customer though. Our company has made some changes recently, that really limits what exceptions we can make and when we can make them. Because of this, I've taken more escalations that I have in my 10 years with the company. They are not nearly as bad as this particular customer, but I've been getting yelled at non stop for the majority of my time at work. Not to mention, because I'm taking all of these calls there's no time to do my actual job which is taking care of the associates who are also getting yelled at by everyone. So they are grumpy when I do get to meet with them. I just feel like all the confidence I gained last year.. has kind of gone away. For the first part of the year I was struggling both mentally and physically with running and now my work life is kind of destroying that last little bit of confidence. And by the way.. I know I get emotional alot here, but I don't cry at work... This is not normal for me 1 bit. So you're probably wondering, "Um Katie, I'm sorry that happened but what does this have to do with your 5k?" Fair question! It really doesn't but I wanted to kinda share the mood I've been in all weekend. This has been in the back of my head since it happened.. more often that I'd like to admit it's been the only thing I've been thinking about, but definitely not the best way to start a weekend.

Friday! I actually had plans to meet a friend for lunch when she texted and said "I'm off work - wanna go to the lake?" UM YES PLEASE! So I spent all day Friday getting sun burnt on a float (even though I religiously applied sun screen every hour). It was nice to catch up with an old friend, enjoy the last little bit of summer and there were alot of boats on the lake so there were actually waves :-). As fun as the day was, it was probably a little more active and long than a day before race day should be. I got home at like 9pm. By the time I ate and did my yoga it was 11p. The good news is, that after a late night Thursday and a long day Friday, I went right to sleep and probably had some of my best sleep in a while.

RACE DAY! I wake up at 6:15am and uh oh.. my back hurts. Not nearly as bad as it did last Saturday but there is definite back pain. Oh well - it's race day. What am I going to do? I get dressed and am out the door at 6:30am. Get to packet pick up at 7am. Got my shirt and took it back to the car and walked around for 30 mins. It's a pretty no thrills race so not much to do. I watched the half marathoners start at 7:30 and cheered for them. Then walked around some more until time to start. I was nervous this morning. Like 10 miler/ Half marathon nervous. At first I thought it was because of the magic mile, but I don't think that was it. I haven't had a "good race" in a while. Also, my husband wasn't there. He had to work today, so he couldn't make the race. This is the first one that he hasn't been at, so instead of having someone to talk to and help get me out of my head, I pretty much stayed in my head. Finally 8am rolls around. At 7:58, I start my playlist. At 7:59:40, I start strava. As I cross the start line I start my Garmin and just like that, I was off.

Mile 1 - My first walk break of a race is always the hardest to take. We are so close to the start that people aren't expecting me to stop and I'm always scared of getting trampled. So this time, I ran off the path on the grass until the crowd thinned out. That worked really well and I didn't feel as pressured to start of fast. Since I was running the first 2 miles easy, I didn't really pay attention to my pace. I just ran when my watch beeped and walked when it beeped again. When Strava told me that my first mile was at 16:58, I started thinking "This may be a good race after all."

Mile 2 - "Crazy in love" was my first song of mile 2 and I thought to myself "I'm pretty sure I planned this to be the first song of mile 2." I realized how incredibly close to the plan I was running and started dreaming of a new goal. "New goal.. Cross the finish line during the first time "Good to be alive plays." I get to the turn around of the course and realize I'm turning a little shy of the 1.55 mark. So I start trying to do the math in my head of when to start my magic mile to make sure I don't cross the finish line early. This starts making me nervous. So at 2.03 miles - I decided not to get in my head and just go for it. I'd rather run a little extra for the MM than come up short. Finished mile 2 in 16:52.

Mile 3 and .11 - the sad thing about starting my MM early is that I missed the water stop. I think the people around me were confused. I had been back of the back, run/walking easy peesy and then I was running a 11 min mile and blowing through the water stop like an Olympian or something. LOL. And yes that's right - my first quarter mile was ran at an 11:20 pace. That's probably not the best thing though. I definitely went out too fast. 2nd quarter pace was 13:02, 3rd quarter was 14:24 (I took a small walk break), the 4th quarter was 13 even and the last little bit (0.04 miles) was run at a 9:58 pace. I had an overall pace of 12:51 and that's my fast mile to date! I definitely feel like I know why so many people hate running. I think when you're starting out you go as hard and fast as you can and you think every run has to be like that. I do appreciate a hard race effort but I can't imagine doing that every day.

Overall paces

Mile 1 -16:59
Mile 2: 16:52
Mile 3: 13:17
0.11 - 12:29
Chip Time 48:41 - Overall Pace 15:42.

Magic Mile - 12:51.

• Katie Little

Mouseketeer
    Training Update Week – 33
    Total miles ran – 4.1 (don’t including todays run)
    Month to date – 29.78
    Year to date – 118.71
    Life Time – 403.94

Plan for week 33:

Wednesday – 2.75 miles easy or 47:31 – Started but not finished.
    Friday – Yoga Fix - Done
    Saturday – Lynchburg 5k – Done
    Sunday - 2.75 miles easy or 47:31 - TBD

Things I learned this week:

Wednesday was rough. I woke up at 1:40am with some stomached issues and didn’t get back to bed until 3:40a. I worked a split shift, which meant going to work from 9a – 11a and coming home and going back at 5p -12a. During the first half of my split shift, I was miserable. I was feeling very nauseous and my head was pounding. I took a nap when I got home and I felt a little better when I woke up. The nausea was gone, but my head still kinda hurt. I got out there and at first I thought I was going to make it through, but about half a mile in my head started pounding with every foot strike. I don’t remember making a decision to cut my run short but when I ran past my house, I instinctively turned into my driveway instead of running past. I took another nap and felt better by the time I got to work for the 2nd half.
    I’ve been going back and forth with if that counted as a run. It doesn’t really matter because I’ve already missed a yoga so this isn’t my perfect training cycle; however, if this was my first miss of the plan, would this count? And I think yes it counts. I made the goal of having a perfect training cycle because I was tired of making excuses and skipping runs/ workouts that I didn’t need to skip. I’ve never had a problem with not finishing runs that I’ve started. So it counts. And while this may not be my perfect training cycle because of that skipped workout I can still say “I haven’t missed a run.” That’s my new goal and motivation to keep me going.

I’ll be wrapping up Phase 1 of my training plan this week! Next week starts Phase 2 in which there are 27 work outs. I had to look a little ahead, just because I’m going to be at the beach again for week 35 so I needed to plan for it J.

Plan for week 34:
    Tuesday – 4.5 miles easy or 1:17:46
    Wednesday – 2.75 miles easy or 47:31
    Friday – Yoga Fix
    Friday – 4.5 miles easy or 1:17:46
    Saturday – Yoga Fix – leaving for beach trip.
    Sunday – 4.25 miles easy or 1:13:26 – End of Phase 1

Plan for week 35:
    Wednesday – 2.75 miles easy or 47:31
    Friday - 2.75 miles easy or 47:31
    Saturday – Yoga Fix – Back from beach
    Sunday - 2.75 miles easy or 47:31

Race Day Count Down:

Lynchburg 5k - DONE!
    27 - days till the VA 4 miler
    76 - days till Richmond Half Marathon
    175 - days till Princess Half Marathon

Sleepless Knight

Jedi Knight Seeking His Jedi Princess
    So you're probably wondering, "Um Katie, I'm sorry that happened but what does this have to do with your 5k?" Fair question! It really doesn't but I wanted to kinda share the mood I've been in all weekend. This has been in the back of my head since it happened.
    It's not always easy to set aside frustrations from outside running and just forget about them when a race comes. As much as we wish they would not effect our running, they absolutely do.
    This is the first one that he hasn't been at, so instead of having someone to talk to and help get me out of my head, I pretty much stayed in my head.
    I find that sometimes I need to get out of my own head when I struggle either during a race or in training.

I've learned that I can earn the right to feel confident come race day even if it's a brand new distance or brand new running challenge if I have put in the work leading up to that point. It's not a cocky or brash thing, but rather knowing that I have put the work in so I am prepared. Now it's time to have the experience.

But in order to feel appropriately confident, I need to remember that I put the work in.

Katie Little

Mouseketeer
    No weekly update! At the beach with my mom and godmother! Very thankful that Dorian skipped right over our beach!

I did: however, finish phase 1 today. I ended up skipping Friday’s run which I’ll tell you all about in my next update. That left me with a score of 19/21. In School that would be a 90% or an A-! It’s not the Gold Star/100% that I wanted, but if C’s get degrees, then an A- will be good enough for me!

C97224DE-DD77-4742-A86D-2BFE3C8726D6.jpeg

Katie Little

Mouseketeer
    Training Update Week – 36
    Total miles ran (since last update on 9/1/19) – 26.4 – Surprise I’ve run a whole marathon since my last update (j/k obviously)!!
    Month to date – 26.4
    Year to date – 145.11
    Life Time – 430.34

Plan for week 34:

Tuesday – 4.5 miles easy or 1:17:46 -Done
    Wednesday – 2.75 miles easy or 47:31 - Done
    Friday – 4.5 miles easy or 1:17:46 - Nope
    Saturday – Yoga Fix - Done
    Sunday – 4.25 miles easy or 1:13:26 – Done

Plan for week 35:
    Wednesday – 2.75 miles easy or 47:31 - Done
    Friday - 2.75 miles easy or 47:31 - Done
    Saturday – Yoga Fix – Nope
    Sunday - 2.75 miles easy or 47:31 - Nope

Plan for week 36:
    Tuesday – 4.5 miles easy or 1:17:43 - Nope
    Wednesday – 3.5 miles easy or 51:50 - Done
    Friday – 5.5 miles easy or 1:35:02 - Done
    Saturday – Yoga Fix – Will do tonight!
    Sunday - 4.5 miles easy or 1:17:43 – Will do today

Things I learned this week:

Sun Bum works better than Coppertone. Still burns my eyes like crazy thought.

I think I need a sun visor. I hate running in sunglasses because my sweat pools at the bottom of them. So I’ve been wearing a hat, but it’s been hot and that make me hotter.

Pouring water on your head does help, and all the scientist and “experts” who say it doesn’t really do anything are lying to you!

78 degrees with 90% humidity in costal NC is not the same as 78 degrees with 90% humidity in Central VA.

If you really want some good sea shells, go to the beach right after a hurricane.

Garmin doesn’t fix cracked screens. Even if you offer to pay them for it, it’s just not a service they offer.

Cracked screens do not fall under the Garmin 1-year warranty. I don’t know what happened btw. I just looked down at dinner on our last day at the beach and it was cracked. I’ve been obsessively racking my brain to figure out when I bumped into something, dropped it or anything and I can’t remember anything that would have cracked it. I can still see the screen though so minimum harm done. I just really wanted to get it fixed so that it didn’t get worse. I’m also assuming it’s not fully water proof anymore.

Don’t order fried pickles at a restaurant with my mother. She will eat them all while you cry about your broken Garmin, but you’re stuck paying for them because you were the one who ordered them.

Running blind every now and then can be glorious. My watch was dead on Friday so I just used Strava on my phone. Instead of looking at my phone and almost subconsciously counting down till the finish of my run I actually stopped to enjoy it. And when Strava would beep at the mile markers, I couldn’t believe how fast time was flying by. I found a little of joy in running that I didn’t realized I had lost. Also, It didn’t hurt that it was clearly fall during my run. The air was crisp and I stepped on a couple crunchy leaves.

I learned that I like having the interval timer come from my phone instead of my watch. I hate going back and looking at run data. because when I program intervals into my watch, I can only look at those intervals. I can’t look at the mile splits. When my intervals are set on my phone, I can just tell my watch I’m going for a regular run and then I’ll be able to see the data a little more clearly.

Okay time to address the skipped Runs.
    WK 34 – Friday. We went to Holden Beach, NC this time and that island was evacuated Tuesday due to hurricane Dorian. I spent all day Thursday watching the weather cams, and latest Dorian predictions. The eye of the hurricane was going to be just off the cost but they were expecting a lot of damage to the island. Thankfully Dorian barley grazed the cost and there was very little damage. Residents were allowed back on the island Friday morning, and we got the all clear Friday afternoon. The only issue was that I hadn’t packed or pre-paired for this trip because I really thought it was going to get canceled. I simply ran out of time to get my Friday run in.
    WK 35 and 36 – Sat -Tues. I’ve been pretty sick. Some stomached issues on top of some female stuff. Not getting into details, but a very painful and not fun time. All better now.
    Last night – I procrastinated getting yoga done until it was too late, so I’m going to do it after my run tonight.

Thoughts about my misses lately. Wk 34 was due to a lack of planning and that always hurts. I physically and mentally could have done that run. There was no reason to skip it, but I ran out of time. I should have known that it was going to be a long day whether or not our trip got canceled and got my run in earlier in the morning.

Sat – Tues: I’m not that upset about. I felt like death and running was the last thing on my mind.

I am concerned though. That’s a lot of missed runs back to back and I need to make sure I don’t get used to that feeling. Yesterday’s yoga was completely unacceptable and my casual “I’ll just do it tomorrow” attitude is eerily familiar and I need to stay aware of that and make sure I don’t fall into old habits.

Race Day Count Down:
    7 - days till the VA 4 miler
    56 - days till Richmond Half Marathon
    155 - days till Princess Half Marathon

• DopeyBadger

Imagathoner
    Pouring water on your head does help, and all the scientist and “experts” who say it doesn’t really do anything are lying to you!
    Who says that? It's actually advised that on hot days you go nearly 50/50 with your water because keeping your core body temp down with water on the body can sometimes be more useful than drinking it.

Katie Little

Mouseketeer
    Who says that? It's actually advised that on hot days you go nearly 50/50 with your water because keeping your core body temp down with water on the body can sometimes be more useful than drinking it.
    Are you serious?! When I first started running people either told me that it wasn’t good for me or that at a minimum it actually doesn’t help. I never looked it up because enough people volunteered that info to me (without being asked) that I just assumed it was true!!!!! I was pleasantly surprised at the beach by how much it helped and now your telling me on the official first day of FALL that it’s been BS this whole time????!!!!!!! Next summer is going to be much less miserable! Let me tell you!

DopeyBadger

Imagathoner
    Are you serious?! When I first started running people either told me that it wasn’t good for me or that at a minimum it actually doesn’t help. I never looked it up because enough people volunteered that info to me (without being asked) that I just assumed it was true!!!!! I was pleasantly surprised at the beach by how much it helped and now your telling me on the official first day of FALL that it’s been BS this whole time????!!!!!!! Next summer is going to be much less miserable! Let me tell you!
    Sure am. There are certainly variables that influence the effectiveness of it, but in general in hot conditions it will help.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates