Do I want to do Wine and Dine half marathon in November?

Pros:
-Disney
-I’d be coming off of the VA 10 miler so not much extra training needed.
- Disney
- it would be my 3rd half marathon so I should be pretty confident with the distance.
-Disney
-it’s a bucket list race.
-Disney
- it would give me experience for runDisney. That way when I run my 1st full marathon the only thing new is the distance.
-did I mention Disney???

Cons:
-price.
- it would mean that my 1st run Disney race isn’t the marathon.. not a huge deal but not the picture perfect moment I’ve been dreaming of.
- training during the hottest part of the summer
- doesn’t give me time to focus on my 10k time.
-early start time...
- would take away from park time.
- I’m still a slower runner meaning I wouldn’t be able to stop at all the stops.
- price.

Idk just something I’ve been thinking about for next year.

Pros:
-Disney
-I’d be coming off of the VA 10 miler so not much extra training needed.
- Disney
- it would be my 3rd half marathon so I should be pretty confident with the distance.
-Disney
-it’s a bucket list race.
-Disney
- it would give me experience for runDisney. That way when I run my 1st full marathon the only thing new is the distance.
-did I mention Disney???

Cons:
-price.
- it would mean that my 1st run Disney race isn’t the marathon.. not a huge deal but not the picture perfect moment I’ve been dreaming of.
- training during the hottest part of the summer
- doesn’t give me time to focus on my 10k time.
-early start time...
- I’m still a slower runner meaning I wouldn’t be able to stop at all the stops.
- price.

Idk just something I’ve been thinking about for next year.
Yes, you do. If you didn’t, you wouldn’t ask. Here’s why I think you should:
1. Disney
2. You’ll be confident enough with the distance to really enjoy the race.
3. You can then talk me into running the half also. It would be a first for me.
4. You can meet other Dis’ers, and what a fun group.
5. It’s an anniversary year so the medals should be good.

Now, to address your cons:
1. Price is a thing. I’ll give you that one.
2. Why not just run the challenge and make it your first Disney challenge? That’s magical.
3. Training in the heat and humidity prepares you for FL running.
4. Refer to #2. You could focus on the 10k time as part of the challenge.
5. Early starts kind of suck, but not really. The atmosphere is electric and once you’re off the bus it’s a blast.
6. Don’t be too sure about that. You might find you can do more park time than you think. Plus, party at Epcot is part of the half/challenge price.
7. If stops are important I suggest adding the 5k to the challenge. Untimed and characters. Stop for them all! Honestly, I didn’t stop during the 10k at all and it didn’t detract from the race. Also, slower runners are just fine. I’m slow, too. I would gladly be your slow runner buddy.

I did W&D 5k and 10k this year. The 10k was my first 10k race. I was so nervous but man it was a fun place to race. I am really kicking myself for not trying to train for the half or challenge. I already booked a room and will be heading back again next year. Still up in the air but I’m hoping to do the challenge this time. Easy to say 11 months out :rolleyes:
But honestly, it is worth considering. There are options to help, like fundraising for a charity, but I’m not super familiar with how that all works.

@ZellyB Truer words have never been spoken!!

@Capang so you’ve pretty much talked me into a fall half marathon lol! The only thing we are figuring out now is money! Cause you know “all Magic comes at a price!” Lol! If I’m being honest I thing that was always my only real hesitation!! I also loved the idea of adding in the 5k for the character stops!!! I would have never thought of that!!

@ZellyB Truer words have never been spoken!!

@Capang so you’ve pretty much talked me into a fall half marathon lol! The only thing we are figuring out now is money! Cause you know “all Magic comes at a price!” Lol! If I’m being honest I thing that was always my only real hesitation!! I also loved the idea of adding in the 5k for the character stops!!! I would have never thought of that!!
The 5k goes through AK and is really fun. It is possible to stop for characters during the other races. You can pick the shorter lines or wait until closer to the end of the race while you are in Epcot to stop for the characters.

Training Update Week 49
Total miles ran
–4
Month to date – 17.4
Year to date –285.33
Miles on shoes – 103.9

Planned work outs:

Actually hoping for your guys advice! Should I start with Fridays work out and take 23 days to finish or should I just pick up where I should be in the work outs? Either way the goal is to do 7 days of 21 day fix work outs.

Things I learned this week –

I don’t know if I am the type of person who can handle working out every single day. I need my rest days. Not active recovery but true rest days. I think that’s okay! I just need to account for that moving forward. As for 21 day fix I’m going to keep the goal of not missing a work out during a week. I know that even though it’s not ideal for me, that I can do it and I want to prove that. One perfect week is the goal.

Other Updates that seem important:

I did pick up where I left off in 21 day fix. Still going to finish but it may take me a little longer than 21 days.

Unfortunately my uncle passed away Sunday night. Family night was Thursday and funeral was Friday.

I did not work out any of those 3 days. I did work out all the other days though. Mon, Tues and Weds was 21 day fix and of course Saturday was the tacky light 6k (race recap coming though there isn’t a lot to recap. We walked the whole thing and had loads of fun. All goals accomplished)

Thursday was my birthday so I’m 28 now. It was pretty much the worse Birthday ever. But even though I spent it at a funeral home, I did get to see a lot more family than I would typically see. I won’t go so far as to call it “nice.” But I am glad I got to spend time with everyone one. Just wish it were better circumstances.

I’d like to do a 10k between February and April as kind of a dress rehearsal for my next half marathon. If you know of any good ones about 3hrs or less away from central VA, let me know. I’m not trying to take on another trail run but I don’t want a flat course either. Something mildly hilly that will give me a taste of what this next half marathon will be.

Days till next race: too tired to do the math. I’ll update you next week.

Plan for week 50: <- can you believe only 2 weeks left in the year?!?!
5 days of 21 day fix (the goal would be 7, but I’ve already missed Sunday and today.)

It’s that time of year where reflection is a big thing. I’m sitting here thinking about everything that’s happened this year and everything I’ve learned just from running. I don’t mean to sound dramatic but I feel like this year has changed the trajectory of my life.

I’ve learned so much about myself and they are all astonishingly amazing things that I didn’t think were possible.

This year I’ve had 2 count them 2 panic attacks. In 2017 there were too many to count. They were both regarding my dad’s surgery. A situation that many people would panic in - even if it’s not something they struggle with! I still struggle with depression and anxiety but now I’m able to slow my self down and pull myself out of a situation before panic takes over... I don’t treat running as my therapy or anything like that and I’d be lieing if I said “when I’m feeling down I just go for a run and all is better.” That just not how it works for me. I don’t even know if my progress is running related but I have to assume that it is.

I’m not the type of person to do things on my own. But I’ve ran nearly 300 miles by my self. I’ve learned that it’s okay to depend on my self and that I’m capable of soo much more that I thought. I’m much more adventurous and willing to try new things- like 21 day fix or having my husband teach me to drive in the snow! (Wish me luck btw)

I thought that running may make me more confident and it has, but it’s really just redefined it for me. I used to think confidence and fearless were the same think, but now I’ve learned that confidence just means acknowledging the fear and doing the thing anyway.

I learned that I am very musically driven! I keep carefully crafted playlist around me at all times. For running I tend to stick to up tempo songs with a good message. The message being more important than the tempo. I think that singing songs to myself has the same effect as affirmations. “Ima be what I sat out to be. Without a doubt, undoubtedly” - Eminem “I can go the distance” -Hercules “I think I finally found my hallelujah- it’s good to be alive right about now.” - Andy Grammer. “I’m Lindona and I want to have fun.” - okay so they aren’t all deep affirmations but still music definitely motivates me and gets me pumped up for just about anything. From cleaning my house to running a half marathon.

I learned that my husband is literally the best. He showed up to every race even when it was pouring down. He knew when to push me to go for my runs and he also knew when to back down if I said I wasn’t feeling it. He listened to me talk about the sport all year and never got tired of it. Well, I’m sure he did but he never said anything.

I can talk to strangers!!!! In a very specific environment sure but I once diagnosed myself as chronically shy LOL! I can pour my soul out on the internet or be completely crazy with my group of friends, but asking me to say hello to a stranger would just about send me in to a full blown panic attack. I’m still terrified in most places to say hello, but on race day and packet pick up, I’ve never met a stranger. I become chatty Kathy asking people if they are as nervous as I am and asking if this is their first race of this distance. If it’s not their first asking them for advice because more often than not it is my first. I’ve even ran races with strangers just to keep the conversation going. These are my people and I feel at home around them. There is only one other place that gives me this feeling and that’s.. well you know- the reason why we are all here. Disney.

Also, at work I’ve started feeling a lot less like an imposter. I’m a supervisor at a call center and for the past 3 years I’ve held this position I would kind of laugh on my head and think, “are they sure they knew what they were doing when they hired me.” I’ve felt that less this year. I think this is just another example of that confidence spilling over into other areas of my life.

I’ve learned the importance of constancy. Obviously with running but also this journal has really helped me. The accountability that I’ve received is just amazing. But it doesn’t work the way everyone talks about. I never really thought about this journal during the week (unless I had specificly asked for extra support). I’d skip runs without a second thought, but come Sunday I’d write my weekly update and it forced me to assess my progress and set the tone for the following week.

Also.. speaking of this journal!! Holy crap have all of you been so helpful and supportive. I don’t have many running friends in real life but I feel like I have a solid group here! So thanks!!

I feel like I’ve rambled for ever so I’m going to end this here... but my goodness what a year!!!

Well, you're already thinking about it, so I'll address some of your reasons for not doing Wine & Dine as your first WDW race and why it might be a better choice than you think.

That's just part of the equation. I do think though that it's a great experience. And I second the thoughts of others have planted the idea of running the 5K or the challenge in your head. It took me many years and different race experiences to realize that running 2 or even 3 races in a single weekend was not as impossible as I once believed. In the end successfully finishing 4 Star Wars challenge race weekends played a major part in helping me realize that I actually wanted to run a marathon and that I could complete the marathon. That confidence will give you something to build on.

In this case, I would in the words of Tangled find a new dream. Not that your old dream is by any means bad. Just that creating a new dream gives you something to look forward to and will not diminish the original dream of a marathon at Walt Disney World.

Maybe not as much as you think. This year, my little sister and I finished the 5K and had 90 minutes before we had to be in the Magic Kingdom for a Be Our Guest breakfast ADR. We made it. The 5K will end around 8:00 or so. The 10K around 8:45 to 9:00 and the Half around 10:00 to 10:30 for a slow runner. You may have to cut evenings short to go to bed earlier if you need the rest. When I run a half marathon only, the only day that really gets skewed is the day of the half itself. All that said, wearing that medal around the parks more than makes up for having to spend less time than normal in the parks.

That's okay. Choose the stops you want. I've never stopped for all the characters. But I have a great time getting character photos after the race in the parks with my medal(s) when I can really celebrate the moment.

2. Why not just run the challenge and make it your first Disney challenge? That’s magical.
Very magical. The most emotional I've ever been after a runDisney event is after the Dark Side Challenge in 2017 which also earned me the Kessel Run. I think I've done more challenging things than that as a runner, but that meant the most for a variety of reasons.

Asking this group if you should sign up for a Disney race is dangerous.
*Best Sam Eagle voice* You are all a bunch of weirdos for enabling each other to run races at Disney World!

Unfortunately my uncle passed away Sunday night. Family night was Thursday and funeral was Friday.
So sorry to hear that. I hope you find peace and comfort in your memories of him and an assurance that you will see him again in the life to come.

I still struggle with depression and anxiety but now I’m able to slow my self down and pull myself out of a situation before panic takes over... I don’t treat running as my therapy or anything like that and I’d be lieing if I said “when I’m feeling down I just go for a run and all is better.” That just not how it works for me. I don’t even know if my progress is running related but I have to assume that it is.
I think it's great that you're being honest about this. Regular exercise may help, but it may also be only one part of a multi part solution.

I thought that running may make me more confident and it has, but it’s really just redefined it for me. I used to think confidence and fearless were the same think, but now I’ve learned that confidence just means acknowledging the fear and doing the thing anyway.
I love this.

I think this is just another example of that confidence spilling over into other areas of my life.
Absolutely. During my very first half marathon, I had a crisis of confidence. I started the race way too fast. I had to slow down to avoid total disaster and did okay for about 4 miles. And then the course left Disneyland and went onto the streets of Anaheim for most of the rest of the race. And did I mention the freeway overpass at this point? My recovering confidence took a hit with Disneyland behind me and city streets looming ahead for the 8 miles or so as my legs began to protest leaving the relative flatness of Disneyland for a tiny hill. Yet as I began to struggle, I thought of more difficult things I had done in my life and I thought of the struggles my ancestors dealt with and overcame. I knew I had to keep going. So I did.

I have since done things I once believed were truly impossible for me.

I’ve learned the importance of constancy. Obviously with running but also this journal has really helped me. The accountability that I’ve received is just amazing. But it doesn’t work the way everyone talks about. I never really thought about this journal during the week (unless I had specificly asked for extra support). I’d skip runs without a second thought, but come Sunday I’d write my weekly update and it forced me to assess my progress and set the tone for the following week.
That's the key. At the end of the day, you have to be the one to decide to get out there. And being willing to say I skipped a run this week for lazy reasons helps you redefine what you want to do and what you want to accomplish. The community is happy to help, but in the end, you decide to keep getting out there.

I don’t have many running friends in real life but I feel like I have a solid group here! So thanks!!
I feel the same way about this community. Sometimes our friends in real life are supportive, but don't quite get why we do this. It's good to have people here that understand us.

What a wonderful wrap up of your year and all the positive changes. I know I felt like running changed a lot of things about how I see myself and how I react to things. It's a sport that I think is often transformational for people. You've had a great year of running and more great running to come in your future.

Decision- I will not be doing wine and dine. For the money that we would spend on a very hectic weekend we could spend an entire week at the beach. Also with money being a little tight right now it would be our only vacation.

I’m disappointed but I know that it’s the right decision. And I already found a half marathon at our usual beach. It’s on 10/26 so the timing is perfect and it’s completely flat so woo hoo! Plus the best part about the beach is we get to bring our dogs with us!!!

Update: there is a 3.5 hour time limit on the half marathon at the beach and there are a couple hills (you go over a bridge twice). It’s penciled in for now. Will wait to see how Historic half goes before registration!

Last edited:
Training Update Week 50
Total miles ran
–0
Month to date – 17.4
Year to date –285.33
Miles on shoes – 103.9

Planned work outs:

5 days of 21 day fix (the goal would be 7, but I’ve already missed Sunday and today.)

Things I learned this week –

You can’t be good at everything all at once. Recently, All of my energy has gone into work (I work retail so… It’s crazy this time of year), Paying off our debt and Christmas. Yes those last 2 things contradict each other A LOT. I didn’t work out at all this week.

Other Updates that seem important:

I’m looking for a 10k in April to act as a “Dress Rehearsal” for my half marathon. I’m thinking about doing victory at Yorktown again. It has some mild hills so the terrain is better. It is further away though and IDK if I can justify the trip when there is a perfectly good local 10k the very next weekend. That race is a little flatter though - First and only time you’ll find that on a con list for me! Lol.

Plan for week 51: <-- seriously where has the year gone?!

5 days of 21 day fix.

Days until next race: :cheer2:153 days till the Historic Half Marathon :cheer2: (subject to change once I settle on a 10k)

I don't really have a recap for the Tacky Light Run. It was 6k and my finish time was 1:27:42. My husband and I walked the whole time looking at the lights and had a blast. That was the goal! I'm a little disappointed that we couldn't run because of the amount of people.. It was my last race of the year so I at least wanted a finish line sprint but If we had of run we would have missed a lot of the lights. That's pretty much the story - pictures are below.

[GALLERY=]Tacky light run by Katie Little, on Flickr[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=]Carmax tacky light run! by Katie Little, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!