Official race recap is coming... but yesterday’s race brought the clarity I’ve been needing.

1) I found a race at the expo called the tacky Christmas light 6k and my husband’s doing it with me and our friends may come. I’ve accomplished way more than I sat out to at the beginning of the year - screw the 5k pr (for now).

2) this year, I tried really hard to separate running from weight loss and I think I did a pretty good job. But I weighed myself at the expo and even with consistent exercise and some healthier eating habits, I weigh exactly the same as I did in January. Next years focus will be on my overall health and weight. I need to go to the doctor. I’ve felt like something has been “off” since February... so time to face it and move past what ever it is.

3) I really LOVE the 10k distance! It’s my favorite. One day I’d like to get to the point where I am as comfortable with 10 miles as I am with 10k.

4) I will not go on another running plan until February! I’m still going to run, but I’m going to take 2 months to focus on strength training and core work. This morning my shoulders and arms hurt more than my legs and feet!

5) this is the last and scariest relivation - I think I could actually finish a full marathon. I don’t think I could make the commitment needed for training right now, and even though I think I could finish, I don’t think I would enjoy running for 8 hours (are their even any marathons that have that long of a limit?) I want to focus on a little more confidence and speed in the double digit runs before committing to a race but for now WDW marathon 2021??? Maybe?

:figment:Richmond Half Marathon Recap! :figment:

Mile - Pace
1- 15:47
2- 16:15
3- 15:58 - First GU
4- 16:15
5- 15:58
6- 15:58 - Second GU
7- 15:30
8- 16:46
9- 16:27 3rd GU
10- 16:33 Pickle Juice
11- 16:04 Last GU
12- 16:46
13- 16:21
0.4- 13:21
Chip Time -3:36:41.8 - Pizza Baby!

Friday night! We arrived at the race expo around 6pm - I was very overwhelmed and I think my husband was kind of happy because that kept me from spending all of our money at my very first race expo. It was crazy!! I got my bib, we walked around a little and I grabbed my t-shirt and we left fairly quickly. Checked into our hotel and found the nearest Olive Garden. It worked really well for the VA 10 miler so Hello new race day tradition. To be honest I was so stressed from the weeks work, and the hectic drive down and the insane packet pick up that I wasn't even thinking of the half marathon. We ate and headed back to the hotel. I took a hot bath and went to bed. Time to wake up!

Thanks to @DopeyBadger for giving me the mental shift I needed.
[GALLERY=]Richmond Half marathon by Katie Little, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

For breakfast we hit up dunkin donuts.. but then I decided that I'd rather go to the starbucks across the street and get an everything bagel. So we left the DD drive thru and headed for the bucks.. They had everything bagels but no cream cheese. Nothing new on race day means no dry bagels. So we go back to DD and Josh gets a plain bagel with cream cheese. But DD doesn't give you a bagel and a little cup of cream cheese. They put the cheese on the bagel. So now I have a dry everything bagel and a plain bagel with cream cheese. So I made 2 Franken Bagels half plain and half everything. Yum!

We decided to park close to the finish line which met we had a 3 block walk to the start line. We get there and holly crap the race day panic sat in. I peed like 18 times and every single missed run in the past year flashed through my mind along with every bad run and every bad race. I wanted to throw up! I wanted to find the race director and ask if it was too late to shift down to the 8k. I was more terrified at the beginning of this race than any other race this year.

7:25am - Josh finds his spot past the start line and I find my spot in my corral. I choke down a stroop waffle. They are super yummy but have you ever tried to eat one when you already want to puke? I don't recommend it. One of the guys was carrying a hiking stick.. I was terrified of what I signed up for (turns out that guy was just over prepared). I think the women in front of me could tell I was super nervous because they turned around and started chatting with me. 2 of them were speed walkers and have done several half marathons. They were giving advice and telling me how awesome half marathons are. The other girl was running her first. She was doing intervals. She was about my size and we kinda looked alike. She mentioned her intervals were run for a min and walk for 30 second. I thought I had found a buddy to stick with and the thought of that made me way less nervous. The air horn blew and it was that moment that I lost my buddy!

Miles 1-3- the plan was to be so chill I was worried about the time restriction. I'd give my self an A+ on that. This was the first ever that I was able to just do my own thing and not get caught up with the people around me. I started slow and I kept my pace comfortable for me. My intervals were messed up some how. My phone had me running for 1:30. I couldn't fix it for a while because there were so many people around. So I just kept my phone out and focused on the timer to make sure I was correcting it. About a mile in I was able to fix them. I felt great.

Miles 4-6 - the goal was to set cruise control. I give myself another A. I had planned to wear my light weight jacket the whole race, so I pinned my bib to the outside; however, even though it was high 40s and windy the sun was beating down on me so between runs I adjusted each safety pin to my t-shirt and get my jacket tied around my waist. It sucked. So I carried it until mile 5. The local running store had a table where they would take your jacket and you could pick it up at the store after or they would donate it with the rest of the jackets they cleaned from the course. Wardrobe issues aside. mile 6 is where it got a little hilly.. and to my surprise I caught myself running up the couple hills that were there.. In the past 11 races, I genuinely can't remember a single time that I "accidentally" ran up a hill. I've either walked it or considered it a challenge and very purposefully pushed myself up the hill. So that was cool.

Miles 7-9 - the goal was to keep it on cruise control but start to focus in on my speed a little more.. I give myself a B+. I definitely tuned into my surroundings and kept it on cruise control, I just didn't focus on my speed. At the start of mile 7 "go the distance" came on and I started to blink back tears - too soon to get emotional! So I shot a text to my husband and said "warm up done - time to crush this 10k!" I was definitely feeling the moment but I wasn't feeling the "crush it" or the "speed" part. By mile 9 I did start to fade but 15 mins into mile 10 I was good.

Miles 10 -11 - My goal was to focus on speed a little more. I give myself a D and I'm not mad about it. I really was enjoying it. I chatted with people as I passed them or as they passed me. I cheered the volunteers, thanked all the cops and yes I took the pickle juice shot at mile 10. Going into mile 11 it really sat in that I was going to finish a half marathon and the tears were harder to hold in.

Miles 12 -13.1 - The goal was to be in pain from pushing myself and emptying the tank. I give myself a F. Still not mad about it. I passed a few people and a few more passed me. It was so much fun. I could feel the blisters but I was so happy. I was especially chatty and the volunteers were especially loud. I will say, there were a couple shorter stretches before the final down hill bit, so with every turn I thought "is this the one." The anticipation for the finish was building and when I finally saw it, I lost it. My finish line photo isn't the best, but that's because I was ugly crying the whole way down that hill! I just started thinking about January when I started this whole thing. I didn't think that I would every get here. This never felt real to me. It still doesn't. I've become such a confident person this year. I've learned that I'm a fighter. I found an outlet for my type A crazy planner person that makes the other unplanned aspects of my life a little more manageable. I've only had 2 panic attacks this year and did I mention that I never even thought I'd do this?!

Also - in my last entry when I said "Screw the 5K PR." I meant it in a "Screw the PR I'm going to just have fun and look at Christmas lights" kind of way. Not the negative and whiny kind of way.

PS.. These pictures cost me $80!!!!!! (My only complaint about this race btw). So please enjoy LOL!

[GALLERY=]Richmond Half Marathon by Katie Little, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=]Richmond Half Marathon by Katie Little, on Flickr[GALLERY=][/GALLERY][/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=]Richmond Half Marathon by Katie Little, on Flickr[GALLERY=][/GALLERY][/GALLERY]

Wow!! Way to go!! Your race recap was fantastic! Love all the pics and the emotion in your run! All the best on your future plans!!

So I spent this weekend volunteering for girls on the run and it was sooooo much fun!! also met the race director for our local turkey trot so... 5 days till my next race. :eek: It’s the 30th annniverary, it’s ran by the same people as the va 10 miler and you get a coffee cup! So.. how do you say no to that??

Last edited:
:santa: Turkey Trot 5k Plan :santa: <- there were no turkey emojis... so next best holiday it is.

Haven’t really looked at the course at all, but it doesn’t matter. To avoid further burn out, I’m not going to over plan or obsess. I am going to try running for 30 secs and walking for 15 (that’s the inverse of my easy pace) and see how that works for me. I do know there are some hills but nothing I haven’t faced before.

One of the coolest moments of my half marathon was on one of the few hills in the race. I was set to auto pilot and didn’t even realize I was running the hill until half way up. Usually I get all in my head and never run uphill; however, I think because I knew that over all it was a flat race they just didn’t seem to bug me. If I had a goal other than finishing this race- that would be it. To be on auto-pilot and not over think the tougher parts of the course. I really do just want to have fun.

Congratulations on finishing your first half marathon! All your hard work and effort paid off.

4) I will not go on another running plan until February! I’m still going to run, but I’m going to take 2 months to focus on strength training and core work. This morning my shoulders and arms hurt more than my legs and feet!
I've tried to incorporate some light strength training into race training because I've noticed that it pays dividends on race day.

5) this is the last and scariest relivation - I think I could actually finish a full marathon. I don’t think I could make the commitment needed for training right now, and even though I think I could finish, I don’t think I would enjoy running for 8 hours (are their even any marathons that have that long of a limit?) I want to focus on a little more confidence and speed in the double digit runs before committing to a race but for now WDW marathon 2021??? Maybe?
It took me years of running before I realized that I could run a marathon, and then it took me years after realizing that before I decided that I want to run a marathon. So make the decision on your terms. I think you'll know when you're ready for that step. And if you decide that you never want to run a marathon, then enjoy running on your terms for your reasons. Not running a marathon will in no way change or diminish what you've accomplished.

Turkey Trot 5k recap.

47:38...... was my husband’s time. If you look next to my name you’ll see a big fat DNF.. although Did not start is more accurate. I’ve been fighting off a cold since the beginning of last week. It amplified after being out side in the cold and the wind for Girls on the run, but over all, I’ve felt fine. I just can’t shake this cough. Last night I worked till midnight and from 10p till the time I fell asleep I could not stop coughing. It got so bad that It gave me a head ache which only pounded worse with every cough. At 6am it was 20 degrees and knowing that I have 2 12 hour shifts coming up at work and understanding it wasn’t a race I particularly cared about, I decided not to go. I feel awful that I had made a commitment and didn’t see it though, but I feel even worse that I missed Josh’s race. He has drug me to and from so many races this year and never once complained. He’s waited for me in rain and cold wind and cheered me through finish line after finish line. I feel terrible that I couldn’t do the same for him. It was his idea that I stay home so I guess I shouldn’t be too worried but I am.

Anyway feeling a little better now and ate all the turkey anyway. Happy thanksgiving everyone!! Travel safe.

Training Update Week 44 - 47
Total miles ran
–17
Month to date – 13.4
Year to date –281.33
Miles on shoes – 99.9

Planned work outs:

Things I learned this week –

Other Updates that seem important

It’s been a while since I’ve posted a proper update! Sorry!

My friend Katelyn and I have decided to run the Historic Half Marathon in May. I want a 12 week training cycle which means that I’ll start training the last week of February. I originally wanted to focus on the 10k distance next year; however, it’s my friends first half and I’m up for it. Plus that puts me working on my 10ks at the hottest part of the year. It’s never ideal to run in the heat but I’d rather run 6 miles when its 90 degrees than 13.1! Plus if I decide to do the VA 10 miler again, it’ll be easier because I’ll already be in the swing of things.

Between now and Feb I’m going to enjoy the break from the structured monotony that is a training plan. Immediately, I’m doing Beach Body’s 21 day fix. After that, I’m going to run a few times a week. No major plans for that. I’m also looking at Lift 4 and Shift shop which are both Beach Body programs (I plan to get the most out of my little 3 month subscription to their on demand product).

New toy!! Don’t know how to use it but I have it!

[GALLERY=]Birthday by Katie Little, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

Days till next race – 14 days until the :santa:Carmax Tacky Light Run (6k) :santa:

Plan for week 48:

Do week 1 of 21 day fix.

“Oh I’m going to take a break from running and focus on cross training. Let me try this little 3 week program that’s rated for beginners. It’ll be a nice break but hopefully enough to keep my fitness level up.”

Week one day one - that 30 mins of cardio was harder than my half marathon!! Is there a couch to 21 day fix program?? Asking for a friend. Finished though- took extra rest breaks between rounds and several times I modified the modifier but I finished.

My Birthday is in a couple weeks and my husband took me to get my B-day present early!! https://flic.kr/p/2d7fgW6 (I can’t figure out how to get the picture to connect to my phone but it’s a garmin!!!

Hooray! That'll be such a big help in training!

Week one day one - that 30 mins of cardio was harder than my half marathon!! Is there a couch to 21 day fix program?? Asking for a friend. Finished though- took extra rest breaks between rounds and several times I modified the modifier but I finished.

I just started 21 day fix a little over a week ago and can concur that it is not necessarily easy. Definitely different than running. But it feels hard because these are muscles that have been ignored in purely running training. You've got this!

I just started 21 day fix a little over a week ago and can concur that it is not necessarily easy. Definitely different than running. But it feels hard because these are muscles that have been ignored in purely running training. You've got this!

#thatmomentwhen your doing the same cross training plan as coach Billy!! Must be doing something right!!! Also, I didn’t think today was that bad (upper body) so I think I may have been shell shocked last night.

Training Update Week 48
Total miles ran
–0
Month to date – 13.4
Year to date –281.33
Miles on shoes – 99.9

Planned work outs:

Do week 1 of 21 day fix.

Things I learned this week –

Just because a workout is 30 mins long in your living room doesn’t mean it’s not the hardest thing ever.

Probably shouldn’t have bought a fancy running watch in the middle of my big break from running. I’ve tracked quite a few dog walks. LOL!

Other Updates that seem important

Calling for snow on Saturday. Depending on the forecast we may not make it to Richmond for the 6k. Playing it by ear and keeping an eye on the weather - pretty much all we can do.

My uncle was found unresponsive Friday morning and Saturday they said his brain function is lower than most comatose patients. They started warming his body temperature yesterday and said it takes 24 hours to bring him back to temp. So around 3pm, they’ll test his brain function again and with that information the family will have to make a decision. Lots of things running through my mind right now, the least of which realizing that I’ve spent too much time in the cardiovascular ICU waiting room this year.

Friday I was just kind of out of it and exhausted all day. I needed a break so I didn’t work out. Not to get too religious, but I think that was very much a God thing. Saturday was yoga day and I had no plans, so in theory I should have just pushed through Friday and enjoyed resting on Saturday with a very low impact workout (although, knowing Autum Calabrese it’s probably some extreme cardio yoga with a bonus 20 min plank at the end that you have to do twice). I’m glad I listened to my body and didn’t force myself to push through on Friday, because I most certainly did not get any rest Saturday. However, If I’m being honest with myself, not doing Saturdays yoga was a mistake. I had time when I got home from the hospital and honestly it probably would have helped relax me.

Days till next race – Hopefully, 7 days until the :santa:Carmax Tacky Light Run (6k) :santa:

Plan for week 49: Actually hoping for your guys advice! Should I start with Fridays work out and take 23 days to finish or should I just pick up where I should be in the work outs? Either way the goal is to do 7 days of 21 day fix work outs.

Actually hoping for your guys advice! Should I start with Fridays work out and take 23 days to finish or should I just pick up where I should be in the work outs? Either way the goal is to do 7 days of 21 day fix work outs.

I just pickup with the next workout. I didn't skip any of the actual workouts when I had to miss a day.

I've been bamboozled!!!! The following image is a picture of race elevation that I saw before agreeing to run the Historic Half Marathon with my friend Katelyn.

[GALLERY=]LIES by Katie Little, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

Today, I decided I wanted to see just how steep that last hill was... and this is what I found!!!

[GALLERY=]Lies!!! by Katie Little, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

How is that legal!!! This race has a 4 hour time limit - same as my last HM; however, the hills are steeper than the VA 10 miler so I'm a little worried that 30 mins may not be enough of a cushion. I immediately texted my friend and she's already registered so I'm pretty much stuck doing this one. The good news is that I found this out early. It's not like I can't plan for it.

I'm left wondering... Is running 13.1 miles not hard enough for people??!!!? What is with all these hilly races!! Why are flat races not the norm? I mean I don't need this level of extremeness in my life!!! I'm seriously moving to Kansas!

As a run/walk/run runner, I find that some hills can actually work to your advantage. I'm not talking about the last one on your graph because it just looks nasty. On short, but steep, hills I just walk up the hills at my usual walking pace and then run down the hills at a bit faster than my usual running pace. My interval timings for that section of the course are thus determined by whether I'm going up or down and how long the incline lasts. I normally walk 30 seconds every quarter mile, but with frequent hills the frequency and duration of the walk breaks will vary considerably.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!