Rumors of Light (ROL discussion thread)

Beyond amazing, all my fears to rest. We rode twice, could have gone more but wanted to make sure we saw as much of the land as we could. We kept telling him "Soarin' on a motorcycle". He grew to love Soarin' (I can't stand the height part). The queue is super long with lots of different "sets" so there was so much to see and look at. The first time we rode we asked for bottom level just in case. He really enjoyed the preshow rooms because you kinda show on screen and they ask everyone to move and dance ... he giggled and thought that was fun and watching the others in our group dance. Everyone was having fun with it.

We get into our ride room, put our stuff up and sit down, DS2 and I on either side of him. I pushed on his back to get him all the way forward and said the back in coming so he was ready. He loves the motorcycle rides at arcades so the seat was fine with him. I had to get him to push his legs inside as the natural position is for you to have them back at an angle. None of us had any issues with the leg restraints and both DS2 and I actually had a gap of space since we didn't have our knees bumped on the bumper. I looked and saw his back and front were pretty tight so he was in there quite firm ... and he has a "belly" so I felt good about that. The fronts of the motorcycles (for lack of better term) are tight together so you can't see the floor ... my major concern because then you would also see drop off.

He was quite interested in the screen down on your motorcycle dash because you see your face, Navi face, skeletal and it kind morphing together. So he was engaged. When they take up the "garage door" in front of you, to trick your brain not to see it there are about five led lights in your dashboard that flash much like a strobe. That close to face, I think they need a warning. Someone could still be affected even if they just don't like bright lights. It's an easy go around, just lay your hands flat on top of your dash covering it and you won't get hit with the lights. Once the door is up (and you don't see it moving due to the lights) you are seeing stars and eyes trying to focus. Then there you go ...

You are flying. The floor does move, 2 feet vertical breaks occur in back of your room from the main wall where cubbies are. This is what probably keeps it so smooth. I have vertigo and get nauseous on some rides/car rides. I was turning my head constantly to the back of room, the other levels I could see with lean and look, looking at DS etc ... at no time did I feel dizzy. Even Soarin' can make me queasy. The height issue would only kick in due to the movie as you can not see the floor even looking down. The way you appear to be flying is the screen is wrapped above and below you and likely not very far out there. I looked around SO much that the second time we rode I thought there were new scenes because I missed so much.

DS1 ............... WOW ............... we go to Disney so much because he loves it (as do we), but he lives for it, the characters are his real friends (Mary Poppins remembered him this trip and talked about how often we visit her) and we see a smile there that we see no where else. It's natural, spontaneous and pure joy smile. Well, this was even beyond that, it was like he was free. He laughed, he smiled, he looked at us both with such joy. First time his glasses were loose and moved and he reached up to fix, laughing (not holding on, rare). While the ride is awesome, I almost cried just seeing him have that few minutes of pure happiness. All my fears were gone. Next ride we went up a floor. PS He loves to get wet so the few splashes of water were icing on the cake.

All rides have names to him, not necessarily the right ones ... Halloween Mansion, Halloween Hotel, Three Caballeros Boat ............ this one is now Flying Dragon.

For me, hating Soarin', loved this. What an amazing job they did. The banshee breathing (at your knee points so bring legs in as if riding a horse) was so cool. There were also vibrations in the back restraint that I wish I could bring home. They truly created a movement that felt legit, even a barrel roll. But I watched closely the other floors and our "tipping forward" is nothing. The chairs do work independently because I had my hand on DS hand first ride and could feel our seats lean left and right different. It really is much like the motorcycles at the arcade but much more smooth and controlled. I think because the floor does some of the pitch the motorcycle does not have to.

Suggestions:
- Have no fear. We are both very height fearful, I have vertigo, slight claustrophic. No problems.
- Flat foot (with thick skecher bottom shoes) to top of leg space was about 25-26"
- Trick if you are bothered by restraints ... put legs slightly back and sit up straight. I did this second time to test. Everything locked. But then I had ample space to not feel the restraints.
- You are not going to fall or anything, this is simply to keep you in your seat. The floor movement and break in back would make it dangerous if you got out.
- Move your head where you want to see, trying to look down through glasses (like bifocals) creates blur.
- Both rides, multiple times we were told "NO PHOTOGRAPHY, NO VIDEO, NO GO PROS".

Seriously I think everyone should try it. This is my scribble of the theaters, the black is the screen best I can figure. While I could see where it ended on sides against our rooms, you could see no end on floor or ceiling so you really felt you were out there flying.

038AA66D-C74F-4A58-ACBF-B9EEFF811F08.jpg

Hopper --- you rock !! No other way to say it !! Booked a trip for 7/10-20 with the kiddies --- first time without DW ( she is training for a new job). My ds6 and dd11 were so worried about this ride ! (They both love ST and Soarin) -- I got a FP , (btw, I have vertigo, panic attacks, etc--- you name it --- I start each day off with Xanax and can't do roller coasters---but you have put my mind at ease now --- thanks so much !!

Thank you so much @HopperFan! You put all my FOP fears to rest! My kids are dying to ride it, but I can get naseaus on Star Tours, so have been really sweating this ride! Glad to hear how smooth and seamless it was!

Did you see any guests get turned away for size? This is my other fear....DH is big (not Pooh-sized big, but tall and broad and just big all over). I'm worried mostly about the leg restraints, as he has trouble squeezing his legs into SDMT. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Love all the details you provided, can't wait to experience it all next month! (Even ROL! Lol!)

In my opinion I don't think he'd have any trouble at all. Unless things have 'changed' materially from your profile pic, I'm somewhat similar to him. :-) I don't have trouble on SDMT but I've often thought "gee, if I were an inch taller I'm not sure how how I'd fit in this thing without really angling my legs." Haha! But after being on the ride and reading comments around here, I think you have to be of materially larger size before FOP becomes a question mark.

Personally I loved it and thought it was perhaps the best ride I've ever been on!

@HopperFan Love the description and write-up above, great attention to detail. The drawing is priceless though.

You should try it. If you can do Soarin' you can do this. I hate Soarin' the height terrifies me and the movie is warped and makes me nauseous. Imagine the Soarin' seats are permanently mounted and you walk up a ramp or steps to your level. You enter a room that is probably 18' x 10' so not small. You sit on your seats and once the garage door goes up it's just like Soarin' except your feet are not hanging and the screen is wrapped so you see sky above and the land below. If you look left or right (depending on where you are sitting) you see the other guests but you won't see those above or below because you are sitting on the vehicles. It all feels very wide and open and I never felt it tight. Kinda freeing.

As I said first ride I looked everywhere, behind me alot, to the sides, to my DS so much so the second time we rode I thought it was a different movie cause I missed so much. All that turning my head and no nauseous at all. Mission to Space my side-eye glance to DS ruined by day.
I watched the youtube video and it made me sick. Now I have read that riding it is better because of the fluid motion with the video but its just such a risk for me. I don't have a FP for it because I split ours between that and EE but I'll get a swap pass bc of my 3 year old so I will think about using it later. I have heard of some people getting nauseous on it though...so I am still worried. And the claustrophobia thing has me worried as well.

I am still weighing my options though.

I watched the youtube video and it made me sick. Now I have read that riding it is better because of the fluid motion with the video but its just such a risk for me. I don't have a FP for it because I split ours between that and EE but I'll get a swap pass bc of my 3 year old so I will think about using it later. I have heard of some people getting nauseous on it though...so I am still worried. And the claustrophobia thing has me worried as well.

I agree with everything @HopperFan said about the feeling of the ride. I won't do rides like Star Tours or Mission Space unless I close my eyes. They leave me feeling "green" the rest of the day and I just don't like it. With FOP I started to dip into having that feeling just a touch, but honestly I think I was so entertained / enjoying the whole thing I was too distracted to let it start to get to me. Once I got off, got my barings, and shook it off, I was totally fine. I did have one of the green beers right afterward, not sure if that helped things. :-)

I did take my eyes off for a few seconds at one point, partly because I wanted to stabilize my eyes on something and partly because I wanted to check on DS6 next to me! Also I was just curious as to what the heck the whole thing looked like. The 'ride' starts so fast you totally loose a sense of physically where you are (this is a good thing).

I would definitely try to go if you're anywhere on the fence about it.

Have fun!

I have different issues. My fears are that I'm going to fall off of or be thrown out of the ride vehicle, hence I can't do roller coasters. I love Soarin' (though the recent change is terribly warped on the sides) and I'm OK with flight simulators as long as I'm secure in my seat. I guess my biggest fear of FOP is falling off the vehicle, or fear of falling off if it dives. Is there much diving with the cycle?

I hear you. TERRIFIED of edges which is why I asked a million questions of others before going about the floor and what is there at the edge. Even at a subway station no one can be near me. My DS has same fears but with severe physical panic attacks. My fear was him getting upset and trying to climb out of seat (completely double jointed). 3 years ago he was making his way out of the restraints on RnR. I was a wreck. Last weekend was the first time since he has been on it - I figured we were on a roll (see what I did there). We could not see edge the vehicles are too tight and I was so relaxed - on Soarin' I am white knuckle ready to throw up fear of the height and at this point done with it.

Hopper --- you rock !! No other way to say it !! Booked a trip for 7/10-20 with the kiddies --- first time without DW ( she is training for a new job). My ds6 and dd11 were so worried about this ride ! (They both love ST and Soarin) -- I got a FP , (btw, I have vertigo, panic attacks, etc--- you name it --- I start each day off with Xanax and can't do roller coasters---but you have put my mind at ease now --- thanks so much !!

They will love it and you know I purposely made sure not to see movie to see if I could still enjoy. What we saw made me feel like I was sailing through a fairy world, almost like Maleficent's Moors but more global due to the water scenes. It was beautiful and you never felt unsafe. And DS had his xanax before we got on the ride (his works at lower level since he chews it up and swallows).

I do and love roller coasters (although lately fear is increasing) but if they stop ..... all bets off. Funny family story was when that Busch Gardens coaster got stuck last year and took hours for all those folks to get off via fire dept I was glued and horrified. Kept saying to DS2 what would I do?, I'd die. Not a month later we were at SW. We rode Manta after having to change cars due to the restraints not working, I almost didn't go. It was ok but I hate the flying position. Next I said I was done but he convinced me to do Kracken. STUCK AT TOP of biggest hill. The way you sit with wide partitions you really can not see each other, I was in quiet panic mode. I could see through to the ground, I could see the stairs all the way down are fairly uncontained grated steps you see through. I would not be able to to do that. I heard him ask his friend if I was okay and she said "I don't know she's not saying anything". After about 10 minutes I finally spontaneously talked "I don't want to be on the news." Tears flowed. All I think is they will have to evac everyone first, then me last IF they can get me off, I would never let anyone touch me .. I'd have to literally butt bump crawl down those steps. Plenty of fun footage for a helicopter. THANKFULLY 20-30 HOT minutes later it started up again. Great coaster but tested me.

I saw video, no comparison but I do appreciate your split FP+ strategy and no sense rocking the boat. Your family will know if you can handle it and if they think so .... try it.

I wanted to quickly add my dh's experience on FOP. He can ride Soarin', but does feel slightly motion sick. He doesn't ride Star Tours, or any other simulator due to motion sickness. Sadly, FOP put him over the edge. He didn't actually throw up, but he did have to lie down for a while. :( Sadly it's once and done for him. I LOVED the ride myself, but I don't generally have motion sickness. Just my 2 cents.

I wanted to quickly add my dh's experience on FOP. He can ride Soarin', but does feel slightly motion sick. He doesn't ride Star Tours, or any other simulator due to motion sickness. Sadly, FOP put him over the edge. He didn't actually throw up, but he did have to lie down for a while. :( Sadly it's once and done for him. I LOVED the ride myself, but I don't generally have motion sickness. Just my 2 cents.
This is my fear! I did buy Sea Bands for if I decide to try it but I do not want to end up like this.

In my opinion I don't think he'd have any trouble at all. Unless things have 'changed' materially from your profile pic, I'm somewhat similar to him. :-) I don't have trouble on SDMT but I've often thought "gee, if I were an inch taller I'm not sure how how I'd fit in this thing without really angling my legs." Haha! But after being on the ride and reading comments around here, I think you have to be of materially larger size before FOP becomes a question mark.

Personally I loved it and thought it was perhaps the best ride I've ever been on!

@HopperFan Love the description and write-up above, great attention to detail. The drawing is priceless though.
Thank you! Nothing has changed with DH since that picture, and after seeing a video of the ride vehicle online, I think he'll be ok.

Wanted to also ask how your son did? My youngest is 6 as well, and he's the least adventurous of my 2. Came off his first ride in EE in tears.

Thank you! Nothing has changed with DH since that picture, and after seeing a video of the ride vehicle online, I think he'll be ok.

Wanted to also ask how your son did? My youngest is 6 as well, and he's the least adventurous of my 2. Came off his first ride in EE in tears.
I'm only 5' 4.5" , but according to the height/weight charts SHOULD be about 5'10"!!! :rolleyes1

While I can shimmy into the little SDMT cars, getting out takes a bit longer....but I can do it! Hoping the same holds true for FoP.MK_MINETRAIN_7669498563.jpeg

He did GREAT - loved it. Hasn't stopped talking about it.

He's not the most adventurous kid... but he's inconsistent in what he likes or what freaks him out. He won't go on Pirates, but loves EE. He's pitched a total fit about Haunted Mansion every trip until a few weeks ago (now it's his favorite ride he says). He cried on Tough to be a Bug in Feb when the bugs crawled under the seat because it scarred him (I was laughing so hard at him, parent of the year I guess). He tends to love roller coasters but the dark rides are iffy. He won't do Soarin. :confused3

I purposely chose not to tell him much about FOP or what it was about (again, parent of the year!). He walked in eyes wide open and eager to ride. The pre-show is a little long and drawn out in a somewhat dark room. I could see he was starting to question what it was all about. By the second pre-show room I was having to encourage him just a bit. He never did say he didn't want to ride, but it was starting to get there just a touch.

But, he hopped on the ride vehicle just like a kid on a bike and was all smiles. I had to reach over and help him grab the handles in the right place - I liked how I could reach him when on my own vehicle.

I definitely think it could be hit or miss with a cautious kid. It's certainly an intense ride in some respects. But sure enough, my inconsistent guy walked away happy as a clam wanting to ride again. Go figure!

Good luck!

He did GREAT - loved it. Hasn't stopped talking about it.

He's not the most adventurous kid... but he's inconsistent in what he likes or what freaks him out. He won't go on Pirates, but loves EE. He's pitched a total fit about Haunted Mansion every trip until a few weeks ago (now it's his favorite ride he says). He cried on Tough to be a Bug in Feb when the bugs crawled under the seat because it scarred him (I was laughing so hard at him, parent of the year I guess). He tends to love roller coasters but the dark rides are iffy. He won't do Soarin. :confused3

I purposely chose not to tell him much about FOP or what it was about (again, parent of the year!). He walked in eyes wide open and eager to ride. The pre-show is a little long and drawn out in a somewhat dark room. I could see he was starting to question what it was all about. By the second pre-show room I was having to encourage him just a bit. He never did say he didn't want to ride, but it was starting to get there just a touch.

But, he hopped on the ride vehicle just like a kid on a bike and was all smiles. I had to reach over and help him grab the handles in the right place - I liked how I could reach him when on my own vehicle.

I definitely think it could be hit or miss with a cautious kid. It's certainly an intense ride in some respects. But sure enough, my inconsistent guy walked away happy as a clam wanting to ride again. Go figure!

Good luck!
Thank you so much! Mine is pretty inconsistent too, so fingers crossed on this one! He loves Soarin and Star Tours, though, so hoping this one is ok! He hates getting wet on Splash and Pirates, though (actually refused to ride Splash for about a year!) - so how bad are the water sprays? This parent of the year will not be mentioning those AT ALL!!

Thank you so much! Mine is pretty inconsistent too, so fingers crossed on this one! He loves Soarin and Star Tours, though, so hoping this one is ok! He hates getting wet on Splash and Pirates, though (actually refused to ride Splash for about a year!) - so how bad are the water sprays? This parent of the year will not be mentioning those AT ALL!!

Haha! My guy went through a phase with no Splash too. Drove me nuts.

The water sprays are very, very subtle. I suspect some might not even notice them.

Good luck!

Just got on computer, haven't read anywhere else but Inside the Magic reported the line to Pandora goes to front of the park and at point reported 4 hour wait to get IN to the land. Gonna read more but .................... so glad we did the Preview.

Oh, I didn't see this coming, said no one ever. The parking lot should have been expanded as they built this land.

Mike @ Blog Mickey‏ @Blog_Mickey 3 hours ago
DAK is at a phase 1 closure. Higher phases are expected with a full park closure possible.

THIS WAS AT 5 AM ........... :scared1:

WDW News Today‏ @WDWNT 6 hours ago
The line outside of Animal Kingdom this morning #VisitPandora

Last edited:
Just gone on, haven't read anywhere else but Inside the Magic reported the line to Pandora goes to front of the park and at point reported 4 hour wait to get IN to the land. Gonna read more but .................... so glad we did the Preview.

Oh, I didn't see this coming, said no one ever. The parking lot should have been expanded as they built this land.'

Mike @ Blog Mickey‏ @Blog_Mickey 3 hours ago
DAK is at a phase 1 closure. Higher phases are expected with a full park closure possible.

THIS WAS AT 5 AM ........... :scared1:

WDW News Today‏ @WDWNT 6 hours ago
The line outside of Animal Kingdom this morning #VisitPandora
I bet it's amazing but there is now way I'd wait that long ever! Hopefully it won't be that crowded in September.

So since we have been home DS1 has been watching the youtube video of Flight of Passage over and over. He just loves it!

A few times watching Na'vi River ride and NO times watching ROL.

Hoping by fall when we return Pandora is less crazy but ..... won't hold my breath.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter