Rumor: Primeval Whirl to close for re-theming 2018-19

An austrialia section will never happen...

Because you could build really good rides, excellent food themes, and new really quality animal exhibits...

...it makes too much sense...and would really make animal kingdom a much bigger draw.

Therefore it will never happen.

Ahh the rumored Australian land at Animal Kingdom. I remember so clearly when I first heard the rumor. I got so excited for it, I actually heard it from Orlando local news and at the time (2010) they never really reported speculation so I was pumped!! Then they announced avatar and I got pissed and shocked at the same time. I actually never accepted it until the land clearing for it. The aerial photo showed that it was going to be much bigger than Camp Minnie-Mickey so I was excited to see the end result!!

Anyway, I'll make sure I get a last ride on this. It's been ten years and I'm curious about reriding this for some reason

My family absolutely LOVES Dinoland. I hope they don't get rid of it. Primeval Whirl is our favorite after EE. We love the tall dinosaur at the entrance. The dinosaur ride is also a favorite too. We don't really do the carnival. But, the kids loved the playground when they were smaller. I really go for the cheesy jokes and sight gags around that area. It was one of the highlights of our AK visit a few weeks ago.

An austrialia section will never happen...

Because you could build really good rides, excellent food themes, and new really quality animal exhibits...

...it makes too much sense...and would really make animal kingdom a much bigger draw.

Therefore it will never happen.
Lol, you my friend must be from the ny metropolitan area... such sinisizm only comes from years of watching the cities and towns up hear make one dumb decision after another.
i.e. they scheduled last month to pave all the roads in a 10 block section of Queens, ny. 2 weeks later a scheduled water main replacement began in same said streets... can't make this stuff up.

but yea, unfortunately Disney follows the same logic most times...if it makes sense it won't happen, and if it's a quick fix that will end up costing more in the long run, it's streamlined.

Australia would be interesting, not sure if it has been noted or if it is still on Disney's site. But there is/was a casting call for residents of Australia, maybe that is a clue of what is to come?
IF they were to build an Australia land at AK or even an Australia pavilion at Epcot, hiring of any frontline cast members would still be many years away. You don't hire people to staff something that hasn't even started construction, and which likely wouldn't be ready for half a decade given Disney's typical construction speed.

Lol, you my friend must be from the ny metropolitan area... such sinisizm only comes from years of watching the cities and towns up hear make one dumb decision after another.
i.e. they scheduled last month to pave all the roads in a 10 block section of Queens, ny. 2 weeks later a scheduled water main replacement began in same said streets... can't make this stuff up.

but yea, unfortunately Disney follows the same logic most times...if it makes sense it won't happen, and if it's a quick fix that will end up costing more in the long run, it's streamlined.

What level of cynicism would living between Philadelphia and NYC...but working in both...breed?

...I'm asking for a friend...

:rolleyes1

I guess we're the minority, because we LOVE Primeval Whirl! We ride it several times when we go to AK.
It's a fun ride...at a state fair. Doesn't really live up to the quality most expect from Disney, though. It was added on the cheap to help a 3 hour park become a half day park. Even regional parks like Kennywood can put their crazy mouse inside a building with some nice theming. Disney put their's in a fake parking lot with some plywood cutouts.

It's a fun ride...at a state fair. Doesn't really live up to the quality most expect from Disney, though. It was added on the cheap to help a 3 hour park become a half day park. Even regional parks like Kennywood put their crazy mouse inside a building with theming.

Well, we don't go to fairs. I don't trust rides that aren't at major theme parks. I didn't say it was "high quality". But the little drops are fun and tame enough for DD and I like the cheesy theming.

I'm sure Disney thought they were being genius when they added Dino-rama - "Guests want elaborately themed areas and we want to spend as little as possible - if we just make the area 'cheap' themed, everybody can get their way!"

Dino-rama is actually one of my favorite places in the parks. Not really for the rides, although I enjoy Primeval Whirl, but I just like the theme. I wouldn't like it if it was the whole place, but the little area is really nice. I think it actually does a good job of showing Disney's attention to detail, I just think most people overlook it because it is too common of a scene.

Full disclosure, I grew up going to carnivals and I put myself through college working as a carny, so it means more to me than it would to most people.

It's a fun ride...at a state fair. Doesn't really live up to the quality most expect from Disney, though. It was added on the cheap to help a 3 hour park become a half day park. Even regional parks like Kennywood can put their crazy mouse inside a building with some nice theming. Disney put their's in a fake parking lot with some plywood cutouts.

We have the EXACT SAME RIDE at our local amusement park. Not really what I go to Disney for.

That said, I do NOT think they are going to rip out Dinoland and replace it. The Dinosaur ride is enough of a stalwart that it seems to me it would be too hard to retheme the whole area -and I don't think really worth it. Worst (best) case is they rip out Chester and Hester and put an another Dinosaur themed ride in, but I don't think it happens anytime soon. Certainly not this year.

I like the cheesiness of Dino-rama, and have taken way too many spins on Triceratops Spin while the bigger kids went on Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl, or EE. At the same time I have never and will never pay to play the games. Those can go. I would like to see a new coaster, something that screams Disney not county fair. An update to the area would be nice, but keep the theme Dinosaur. Little kids love dinosaurs, so embrace it.

Keep Dinosaur by all means but that carnival themed area needs to go. I'm fine with more dinosaurs in its place

Dinoland is essentially the kids area of the park just like the new Toy Story land will cater to that 6 year old and up demographic. I would love for them to get rid of the carnival and that terrible coaster but I'd rather they build a new land between Asia and Africa where they have a ton of land to do something amazing! Africa, Asia and Pandora are pretty incredible lands but we need to bring Dino and Rafiki up to par at some point. Also, I'd like to see them do something with the Nemo Theater. It's just in an odd place and not themed at all.

How about it they build a theater in Epcot and move the Nemo musical over there, bulldoze carnival part of Dinoland, add a Good Dinosaur dark ride next to Dinosaur to keep a mini Dinoland in the park, then use the remaining land from the bridge to Asia to Dinosaur to build Australia. This would only make too much sense though adding at least 1 IP, have a new draw for the park once the Pandora hype dies down, and not have to expand the huge park anymore than it is now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts