CONFIRMED - Illuminations replacement

I thought the music in Paint the Night was the worst part (generic pop song and Baroque Hoedown :headache:). Give me Spectromagic's music any day over that.

Guess it goes to show that Disney can never make everyone happy. I liked how they incorporated Baroque Hoedown into it (and have heard similar from some other Disney purists - which isn't to say I am right, just that I know I am at least not completely alone)

Maybe I just really liked the song even when it was in Big Hero Six and I like how they mix in the other songs related to the individual IPs, etc.

Guess it goes to show that Disney can never make everyone happy. I liked how they incorporated Baroque Hoedown into it (and have heard similar from some other Disney purists - which isn't to say I am right, just that I know I am at least not completely alone)

I appreciate carrying it over from MSEP, I've just always found that music kind of grating (especially hearing it over and over again for the whole length of the parade). I'm not a fan of electronic music in general.

Maybe I just really liked the song even when it was in Big Hero Six and I like how they mix in the other songs related to the individual IPs, etc.

I’ll raise my hand on that.

I recently had the chance to spend a small bit of time on the west coast. I knew nothing about Paint the Night and had not heard the soundtrack before. As it rounded the corner and the music came on... and I recognized the incorporation of Baroque Hoedown... it was instant smiles for me. :-)

We saw Illumination in 1994 and have never found the Reflections of Earth version to be as good. Time for a change. Even better would be to have a low, permanent structure encircling WS lagoon to provide some seating!
By day’s end, nothing looks good when I have to view it from a standing position, so my Illuminations views have increasingly been via a rear view mirror.

Love HEA, but not the fact that you miss so much if you don’t have a clear line of sight on the Castle. Being 5’2 means never having a good view, even from the Plaza Garden as part of a Dessert party package.

Are rumors of the new show beginning before the end of ‘18 surfacing? I thought it was still at least a year out. Something about drone logistics causing delays.

It seems like plans for epcot always go to the backburner and then never happen... unless it involves festival booths.

Are rumors of the new show beginning before the end of ‘18 surfacing? I thought it was still at least a year out. Something about drone logistics causing delays.

It seems like plans for epcot always go to the backburner and then never happen... unless it involves festival booths.
There are rumors that a temporary show could begin by this years end.

For what it is worth, we were on an Illuminations Cruise on June 8, 2018. Not only did we not go to Hollywood Studios due to the bridge work, but the globe no longer opens. Our driver stated that it had not worked for 2 weeks. I was very disappointed; not with the driver as it wasn't his fault but with the quality of the show.

There are rumors that a temporary show could begin by this years end.

This makes me sad. I know it is time, but I’m not ready. :sad1: I wonder why they’d bother with the expense & hassle of a temporary show ... unless the globe and other effects are “irreparably damaged.”

For what it is worth, we were on an Illuminations Cruise on June 8, 2018. Not only did we not go to Hollywood Studios due to the bridge work, but the globe no longer opens. Our driver stated that it had not worked for 2 weeks. I was very disappointed; not with the driver as it wasn't his fault but with the quality of the show.
If opened for us last week when I was there. Though I have seen it not open so clearly it’s iffy at best

This makes me sad. I know it is time, but I’m not ready. :sad1: I wonder why they’d bother with the expense & hassle of a temporary show ... unless the globe and other effects are “irreparably damaged.”

The one aspect that give me hope any temporary show might actually be pretty good is just that point - why bother with the expense of a temp show if the current one is still pretty popular- unless there is a specific idea for the temporary show

It isn’t like at AK where they had to come up with that temporary show - this would be something they are making a choice to do

As much as I liked Wishes and was disappointed to see it leave, HEA is a good show and a good upgrade. I also enjoy Illuminations, but, it has its flaws and a new show with more effects and so forth, as long as they hold to a good theme that fits World Showcase, would be fine with me.

I thought the music in Paint the Night was the worst part (generic pop song and Baroque Hoedown :headache:). Give me Spectromagic's music any day over that.

Mainstream maybe, but I'm not sure I would call Owl City generic. I think it makes the parade. It merges the MSEP modern vibe really well, especially with the Peter Pan and Mickey Mouse floats. I liked the song before PTN or Wreck-It Ralph (probably helps that it's one of my favorite Disney movies) but I just think it fits so well. The lyrics fit really well with the parade and the feeling of being at Disney in general. Easily my favorite Disney Parade. I'm not a parade person at all, but I saw this all 4 nights I was at DLR 2 years ago other than our WOC night, and saw it twice one night. I've only seen FoF twice and I don't really have much interest in seeing it again. I don't think Disney has ever had a better combo of a Parade and Firework shows in the same park than PTN and DLF, including Halloween and Christmas Parties.

Opened like it always has tonight.

I saw Illuminations three times this past May. Only once did the Globe function the way it was meant to, with it opening to reveal a torch that shoots fireworks, then flames. The globe didn’t open at all during one show, and the other show, the globe opened but no fireworks or fire from the center torch.

I have always thought that the Globe was the weakest part of Reflections of Earth. It’s just too small in relation to the WS lagoon. If it’s malfunctioning or not, they should get rid of it in the next incarnation of Illuminations, and make something larger or more accessible the focal point. I love the music of Reflections and hope it continues to be played in the World Showcase even if it’s not part of the next version of Illuminations.

I saw Illuminations three times this past May. Only once did the Globe function the way it was meant to, with it opening to reveal a torch that shoots fireworks, then flames. The globe didn’t open at all during one show, and the other show, the globe opened but no fireworks or fire from the center torch.

Weird. I've seen the show at least a dozen times and I don't recall the globe ever malfunctioning.

June 10, it wasn’t opening for the torch at the end of the show. Not the end of the world. But, you notice the symbolism much more when it does work.

Weird. I've seen the show at least a dozen times and I don't recall the globe ever malfunctioning.

In December some of the screens weren't always working, but it opened up normally every time we saw it (5 times that trip).

Looks like a new temporary show could debut later this year and be in place until 2020 when the big new show debuts according to Martin on WDWMagic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!