Rumor - Electrifying Tomorrowland Speedway (Tesla?)

This would have been great for branding 10 years ago, the kids who rode it then would now be 20 and buying cars. For this to make sense in that way Tesla has to survive 10 more years, could hapen. I kinda hope it does.

And regarding cash flow, it doesn't seem to matter for the longest time for big corps. I'm not sure where it comes from, probably from us via our govt somehow.

I'm all for Tesla sponsoring it. They could also set up a kiosk where you could buy a Tesla as you leave the attraction, similar to Test Track. Other options could be Toyota or Honda, the world is slowing moving to electric cars.
I have hoped and wished something like this would happen, but I am not getting my hopes up.
You know to this I am somewhat surprised Volks Wagon is not added to this discussion. They are pushing the new electric format heavily right now due to the gaff they made on their falsification of their gas mileage data, and they are already doing commercials showing the new reboot of the all electric Mini-bus that does not come out until 2021.

I would have thought if this was going electric they could have pushed this as well

Really an attraction where you drive at all, isn’t very futuristic regardless of what the vehicle runs on.

Yup, and I suspect Tesla, who are in the business of over-selling their adaptive cruise control, would be very sensitive to this.

Jim is more right than this site though.
Ya like he said the gondolas would have AC. Tesla is not in a good place to spend money. They are at this point not profitable and have lots of issues to overcome to be a viable auto manufacturer.

We are only talking about this rumor because it's such a good idea. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe the site either, but I think you are giving the TS cars more credit than they deserve. They are nothing more than gas powered, glorified golf carts. Every golf course in the world has a fleet of them and a lot of municipal golf courses don't make a lot of money. It wouldn't take that much cash to upgrade the cars to an electrified fleet. What Disney would charge to take on a ride sponsor is another matter. I agree that Tesla doesn't have the cash, or the incentive to sponsor the ride, but how about Volkswagen? They need a serious image boost and they are about to get big into plug-in electric cars. And yeah, a "Cars" overlay at the same time would be an awesome fit!

Funny thing is when I was a kid (long time ago) our local amusement park had a pretty long electric car ride. Disney's was just so cool, because it's cars used a real engine.

Personally as an adult I just don't see the point.. in 2020 it's not very Tomorrow Land or Disney like. And it's noisy, smells and is boring. That said the grand kids love it.

I thought I would remind everyone the monumental challenges of a constantly cycling battery, in the Florida environment, to temper expectations. I am fully confident that any battery company (of which I consider is Tesla's core competency), has deep concerns of heat rejection (which we called Re).

To run a limited duty-cycle, even given the highest temperatures in the middle of Florida summers, is possible. BUT, there has to be limited duty-cycle or heavy heat evacuation to make the application feasible. While we, including myself, would love to see an energy storage manufacturer give a sponsorship to the speedway, I would really temper these expectations.

The way I see it you either have to oversize the energy storage and run a very conservatice duty cycle or add more vehicles that have adequate "off-time" to cool down and not experience an over-pressure/temperature threshold.

I thought I would remind everyone the monumental challenges of a constantly cycling battery, in the Florida environment, to temper expectations. I am fully confident that any battery company (of which I consider is Tesla's core competency), has deep concerns of heat rejection (which we called Re).

To run a limited duty-cycle, even given the highest temperatures in the middle of Florida summers, is possible. BUT, there has to be limited duty-cycle or heavy heat evacuation to make the application feasible. While we, including myself, would love to see an energy storage manufacturer give a sponsorship to the speedway, I would really temper these expectations.

The way I see it you either have to oversize the energy storage and run a very conservatice duty cycle or add more vehicles that have adequate "off-time" to cool down and not experience an over-pressure/temperature threshold.
You wouldn't need to add more vehicles, just a battery changing station. We run this practice in our warehouse for our stock pickers/forklifts.

Hong Kong has hot and humid weather like Florida and they closed their electric autopia after only a few years. Maybe the batteries weren’t performing like they hoped?

You wouldn't need to add more vehicles, just a battery changing station. We run this practice in our warehouse for our stock pickers/forklifts.

That's possible too, but charging the batteries would need to be in a "cooler" station and not out in the Florida sun. And I'm not sure Disney would want CM's constantly handling/swapping batteries that can experience exothermic reactions (unless they stick with Pb acid).

That's possible too, but charging the batteries would need to be in a "cooler" station and not out in the Florida sun. And I'm not sure Disney would want CM's constantly handling/swapping batteries that can experience exothermic reactions (unless they stick with Pb acid).

If they ever did decide to do it, they don't need to pull off for charging or swap batteries. Inductive charging at the start/finish line should be plenty (the cars are there waiting for people to load/unload as long or longer than they're on the "track").

evwirelesschargingdiagram.jpg

If they ever did decide to do it, they don't need to pull off for charging or swap batteries. Inductive charging at the start/finish line should be plenty (the cars are there waiting for people to load/unload as long or longer than they're on the "track").

evwirelesschargingdiagram.jpg
cook

Qualcomm has a mat called Halo. It was designed to perform inductive charging, but had issues with necessary amps reaching the energy storage for rapid charging. When I met with them, we investigated if our batteries would be a strong fit given our high rates. The issue was would it have sufficient energy without heat build up. In our models, this is nowhere near the duty cycle Tomorrowland Speedway would encounter.

I am not convinced that there would be enough dwell time between car runs for the batteries to cool adequately. You could oversize the batteries like I said previously.

I always wondered if there were any talks or ideas to contact Elon about getting Space-X to sponsor Mission Space. That would've been a slam dunk idea.

The charging and battery issues are all details that I would presume would be addressed by Volkswagen/Tesla/Honda/Nissan/Chevy/BMW who would sponsor the ride and would be trying to sell you on their product - a product that has already solved the problems we are talking about. Again though, I think you are giving these things far more credit than they deserve. The current cars are no more powerful than a lawnmower. I've got an electric lawnmower (technically DC) that runs on a small battery pack. I snap the battery in when I use the mower and pop it back out and store in in the charger when I put it away. It couldn't be easier. The current cars run on gas that has to be re-filled throughout the day. The CM's handle that just fine - why couldn't they exchange far less messy (and toxic and flammable) sealed batteries instead?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!