Rude Rude Rude

nevergrowup826

Mouseketeer
just a bit of a rant here, but it seems like every year I go to Disney, the people get more and more rude, pushy, and overall unbelievable with what they let their kids do.

A day has not gone by where I have not been stepped on, slammed into, or pushed. All for these people to get ahead 30 seconds - or in the case after the fireworks, to get no where fast. Or stopping in the middle of walkways, when there are people walking behind you, just to look at their phone or a map, or talk. Running people over with strollers. No im sorry ever muttered.

Let's talk about the amount of children I've seen standing on chairs at shows, jumping on them- in the middle of dark shows. Completely limiting the views of those behind them. And the mickey ears- no one takes them off for shows anymore, again with the view problems.

And the masses of phones and external lighting at the fireworks! It's terrible!

It's unbelievable how completely oblivious, rude, and self centered 75% of the people currently in wdw are.

Rant over, for now. Ann I just overly sensitive or does everyone experience this nonsens?! Will enjoy my remaining days!

Last edited:
just a bit of a rant here, but it seems like every year I go to Disney, the people get more and more rude, pushy, and overall unbelievable with what they let their kids do.

I have read this type of thread on the community boards and the Disneyland side of the boards many times but here is what I think.

I am a teacher so I see and experience this type of thing every day and every year there seems to be more rude, pushy, and entitled people and its unbelievable what they let their children do at school and in the community. Its not Disney, its society and those people from society happen to go to Disney...and Universal...and the Movies...and restaurants.

Its not everyone, not by a long shot, so each time it bugs me I think about what I can do to have an impact on it. I have an impact by noticing and encouraging those doing the right thing so that hopefully they keep it up and encourage others to do like wise. Hopefully this will can become the new cycle, a new Mathew effect.

I think this sense of entitlement comes from a few things. A competitive society that is bred/fed into a child at an early age. And that the rude person(s) feel they have spent a significant amount of money at Disney parks and gives them a right to fight. What they don't typically understand is that everyone pays a significant amount. We're all on equal footing at the parks.

Or stopping in the middle of walkways

OMG this is my pet peeve anywhere, especially as I work off Oxford Street in London (One of the busiest shopping streets in Europe) the amount of times I've ended up walking into people as they just stop still - yes it a shop front, okay! they're not that interesting

Walk and look at the same time people it's not that hard!!! :rotfl:

living creatures dont react well to excitement...........a moth will beat itself against a light.......get a bee mad and you deal with thousands....two dogs barking out the window wildly at another dog will turn on each other.... yell fire and people will trample others to death to save themselves.......as far as idiots though, like the people in the supermarket who park their carts across a whole isle and have a family reunion, that type of behavior has been around forever and is not going away.

Or stopping in the middle of walkways

OMG this is my pet peeve anywhere, especially as I work off Oxford Street in London (One of the busiest shopping streets in Europe) the amount of times I've ended up walking into people as they just stop still - yes it a shop front, okay! they're not that interesting

Drives me nuts too. Doesn't matter where you are. It could be the walkways at WDW, a busy sidewalk in your home town/city, any aisle in the supermarket or other store...it should be no different than driving on a highway. If for some reason you need to stop, PULL OVER! Just get yourself out of the way.

Goes back to OPs general point. Way too many people fail to realize that there are actually other people on this planet beside themselves. And then, amongst the small percentage that do realize it, most of that group simply don't give a rat's @$$.

I have been thinking about this for a long time and here is my thought on the problem. I believe that Disney's "Happiest Place on Earth" is at the core of the problem. People go there believing that "Mickey and friends" will make it ALL better and maybe they do to some extent but life doesn't stop once we walk through the gates. I have seen video of people saying the craziest thing about how Disney owes them a great vacation because it is the happiest place on earth! Disney will not make my teenage child get off their phone, Disney will not make my marriage better, Disney will not cure my spoiled toddler of his/her tantrums, Disney is not going to make grumpy granddad into a sweet teddy bear, Disney will not solve my problems! Disney is a vacation and not a couple of acres of land that magically remove all issue and problems. I think that the idea of that Disney and their cast members are there to make each dream come true has truly taken hold.

Last edited:
It is the "special snowflake" syndrome. Parents are raising (or not) their kids to believe the world should revolve around them. So many parents I see are trying to be "friends" with their kids instead of being parents. I was raised by a strict parent and a "fun" parent (who still didn't take any guff from me). I recall many times seeing parents threaten their kids with "if you don't behave, we leaving [the park, the store, the ice cream parlor] and then they don't follow through. All that teaches the kid is that the parent is a pushover and won't actually leave [the park, the store, the ice cream parlor], so of course, the kid doesn't stop the bad behavior.

I agree with PPs that it is not a Disney problem, it's a society problem. It has gotten worse and worse with the entitled and just plain rude people in this world.
I would definitely not put the percentage of rude people at 75%, though. I think it's much lower than that.

I agree it isn't just a Disney problem ... BUT I think when you have people that put a ton of effort and time into planning the trip, want the perfect trip and/or have spent a ton of money on the trip, and jam them shoulder to shoulder, combined with a lot of people (especially kids) being off their schedule and likely up later than normal, etc. I do think it can be exponentially worse than in other settings just due to the stress a lot of people feel being there

Now on the flip side, I still do think this is the minority of people and I have had tons of super positive encounters with other guests at Walt Disney World - I think it is just that both sides of the coin are getting more extreme

I have been thinking about this for a long time and here is my thought on the problem. I believe that Disney's "Happiest Place on Earth" is at the core of the problem. People go there believing that "Mickey and friends" will make it ALL better and maybe they do to some extent but life doesn't stop once we walk through the gates. I have seen video of people saying the craziest thing about how Disney owes them a great vacation because it is the happiest place on earth! Disney will not make my teenage child get off their phone, Disney will not make my marriage better, Disney will not cure my spoiled toddler of his/her tantrums, Disney is not going to make grumpy granddad into a sweet teddy bear, Disney will not solve my problems! Disney is a vacation and not a couple of acres of land that magically remove all issue and problems. I think that the idea of that Disney and their cast members are there to make each dream come true has truly taken hold.
the "Magic Kingdom" sometimes plays more like "Westworld"

Several times we would get something magical from CMs and I would try to pay it forward. Trader pins are a great tool for this.

When we would get stranded on a ride and they would hand out paper fastpasses for anything, we look for a family to give them too. The hardest part was usually finding a group of three people, but lately I have had a harder time. Last summer ,after being evac'd from Splash, I had four and all I was looking for two behaved kids. Couldn't find one at the Main Street Mickey M&G or at our hotel. It took until the bus ride back to the MK that night to find a family of four that didn't irritate me.

I often think that during the bleak time between WDW vacations my mind blocks the bad out and only remembers the happy stuff. Sadly, that is no longer true. Spend 15 minutes on a bench people watching and really search for happy families. Before your next trip buy some of those cheap (probably fake) Disney pins for $10, then look for someone to give them to.

A day has not gone by where I have not been stepped on, slammed into, or pushed. All for these people to get ahead 30 seconds - or in the case after the fireworks, to get no where fast. Or stopping in the middle of walkways, when there are people walking behind you, just to look at their phone or a map, or talk. Running people over with strollers. No im sorry ever muttered.

Let's talk about the amount of children I've seen standing on chairs at shows, jumping on them- in the middle of dark shows. Completely limiting the views of those behind them. And the mickey ears- no one takes them off for shows anymore, again with the view problems.

And the masses of phones and external lighting at the fireworks! It's terrible!

It's unbelievable how completely oblivious, rude, and self centered 75% of the people currently in wdw are.

Rant over, for now. Ann I just overly sensitive or does everyone experience this nonsens?! Will enjoy my remaining days!
Yes, I have to sadly agree, and have said so several times here on the boards. I found that to be the case more and more starting in about 2002 or so, and had gotten MUCH worse (as had the crowds) by my last trip in 2012. Found myself asking "What the heck am I even DOING here? several times. And that made me sad, to be asking about My Happy Place. :(

I have noticed a lot of people here on holiday from the UK this week. Like, A LOT. Are the kiddos back in school next week or something?

I have noticed a lot of people here on holiday from the UK this week. Like, A LOT. Are the kiddos back in school next week or something?

Yep, School in England start the first week of September so you'll probably have a load of them next week as well.

Trying to eek out a bit of sun before the term starts, as the summer here has been typically British so far lol.

We always take our vacation at the end of August (we're getting on the Wonder in 3 days! :cool1: ). We've done WDW several times at the end of August, and each time it was the same. Pretty much everyone there is basically either from the northeastern states or the UK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!