Rude people against the dis ABle.

old lady

DIS Veteran
There is no such thing as disability only bad attitude. Trying telling that to rude people who makes jokes about it or say that Dis ABle people don't have brains to know better or they focus on something that makes the Dis Able strong. Rude people say what is better than being in the special Olympics, not being in it. How do you deal with such people?

There will always be ignorant people in this world who are rude to others for various reasons. It's very unfortunate. Sometimes it is best to ignore such comments unless it's a person you must deal with on a regular basis and educating them might help.

I am moving this to the disABILITIES Community Board since it is not specific to trip planning.

I make it a point to NEVER deal with such people... there is no such person on this earth that is worth my time or energy to worry about what they say about me. If they want to be A holes.. that's is their deal, not mine. I am so much more worried about getting out of bed in the morning and making it through each day to worry and fret about those types of so called humans.. plus knowing that I am so much better than they are , makes it easy to ignore them .!!!

I figure it's fear of the unknown, and that they must be pretty lucky, to not have disability impact them or their family or friends.

What a random stranger says has nothing to do with you. You can only control your reaction.

Still stings sometimes!

You know, what we all have to remember is that anyone who isn't currently "disabled", most likely will be eventually. My physical therapist calls them "TABs" (Temporarily Able Bodied).

Those who are - today - TABs, will someday either be themselves sidelined by injury, illness, disease, or will find themselves caring for a loved one who is. Not if, but when that day comes, they will quickly change their tune.

Until they themselves are in our position, ignore them. Bullies, trolls, the self-centered, and the willfully ignorant can only best be dealt with by ignoring them. It takes away their power over you.

Agreed. I think the TABs that are mean are actually afraid of aging, becoming dependent or becoming a caregiver etc. We humans tend to focus on the things that are important to us. And their negative energy speaks even louder than their words.

The reality for anyone who has been to a Special Olympics is that it is an incredible place to be. I went to one in the pouring rain and it was terrific fun. They just don't know what they are missing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter