RSR during day and night - in 2 weeks

ebharris

Mouseketeer
I’d like to pull FP for RSR both during the day, and then an evening return time as well.

According to Disneyland Daily’s touring guide, this is our best bet:

DCA touring plan:

1 Ride Soarin’ Around the World standby

3 Grab Incredicoaster FASTPASS

4 Ride Toy Story Midway Mania standby (if the wait is under 20 minutes; otherwise skip and pull a FASTPASS for it later)

5 Ride Goofy’s Sky School standby

6 Ride Pixar’s Pal-A-Round standby

7 Ride Jumpin’ Jellyfish standby

8 Ride Silly Symphony Swings standby

9 Ride Golden Zephyr standby

10 Ride Incredicoaster with FASTPASS

11 Grab Radiator Springs Racers FASTPASS

12 Ride Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree standby

13 Ride Luigi’s Rollickin’ Roadsters standby

14 Ride Ariel’s Undersea Adventure standby

15 Ride Monster’s Inc standby

16 Ride Radiator Springs Racers with FASTPASS

17 Grab Guardians of the Galaxy FASTPASS

18 Enjoy walk through attractions like Animation Academy, Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, etc. See characters and shows at this time, too.

19 Ride Guardians of the Galaxy with FASTPASS

20 Grab Grizzly River Rapids FASTPASS
** eat lunch if the timing is right, then go into GRR. Then go back to hotel for rest and swim. In evening do bugs land and standby, or pull fast passes for rides we want to repeat**

My question is... when would I be best to pull a FASTPASS to do RSR in the evening? I looked tonight and the wait was 110 minutes at 9pm according to the app.

We are trying to avoid MaxPass but will get it if that’s our best option for doing RSR twice.

Thank you!

Are you trying to do all that before lunch? 14 rides plus walking to pull FP plus other attractions? I'm not sure that is realistic unless you are you staying onsite with a 7am entry and there are low crowds.

As for your question on riding RSR twice: You might have to give up one of your other FP plans. If you are not using Maxpass then pulling a RSR FP will lock you out of getting another FP for 2 hours (assuming the return time is at least 2 hours later). If you get one first thing in the morning it might be less than 2 hours. I would personally get a RSR FP first, then a RSR before leaving to go to the hotel. You'll have to watch the app to make sure they don't run out before you get one for evening. Generally speaking, a RSR FP pulled mid-morning will have a mid-afternoon return time.

ETA: Watch the app for typical return times on fast passes. That will let you know what times you would need to pull the 2 RSR FP.

Are you trying to do all that before lunch? 14 rides plus walking to pull FP plus other attractions? I'm not sure that is realistic unless you are you staying onsite with a 7am entry and there are low crowds.

As for your question on riding RSR twice: You might have to give up one of your other FP plans. If you are not using Maxpass then pulling a RSR FP will lock you out of getting another FP for 2 hours (assuming the return time is at least 2 hours later). If you get one first thing in the morning it might be less than 2 hours. I would personally get a RSR FP first, then a RSR before leaving to go to the hotel. You'll have to watch the app to make sure they don't run out before you get one for evening. Generally speaking, a RSR FP pulled mid-morning will have a mid-afternoon return time.

ETA: Watch the app for typical return times on fast passes. That will let you know what times you would need to pull the 2 RSR FP.

Thank you for that -

That’s the plan Casey suggests, she says it can all be done before an afternoon return to the hotel. I was assuming that meant lunch and leaving around 2:00 but maybe I’m wayyyy too optimistic! She says not to pull RSR first because you’ll stand in line just waiting for a FASTPASS. But, maybe we should do max pass and eliminate that issue. Do you find you have to wait in line for that RSR FASTPASS? Is it 2 hours for another FASTPASS, I thought 90 minutes? I’ll have to look.

Thank you for your help!

Thank you for that -

That’s the plan Casey suggests, she says it can all be done before an afternoon return to the hotel. I was assuming that meant lunch and leaving around 2:00 but maybe I’m wayyyy too optimistic! She says not to pull RSR first because you’ll stand in line just waiting for a FASTPASS. But, maybe we should do max pass and eliminate that issue. Do you find you have to wait in line for that RSR FASTPASS? Is it 2 hours for another FASTPASS, I thought 90 minutes? I’ll have to look.

Thank you for your help!

I agree it depends if you have a magic morning to DCA and what time the park is opening. The only way I seem this to be even remotely possible, is if it is an 8am park opening AND you have a 7 am magic morning. Otherwise you will be sorely disappointed with the amount of rides you can get done. Even with an 8am opening with no magic morning access, you will be lucky to get 7 - 9 rides before lunch, AND that's with Maxpass. if you are hand pulling FPs, decrease that by 1-3 rides.

I agree it depends if you have a magic morning to DCA and what time the park is opening. The only way I seem this to be even remotely possible, is if it is an 8am park opening AND you have a 7 am magic morning. Otherwise you will be sorely disappointed with the amount of rides you can get done. Even with an 8am opening with no magic morning access, you will be lucky to get 7 - 9 rides before lunch, AND that's with Maxpass. if you are hand pulling FPs, decrease that by 1-3 rides.

No magic morning. The plan was to do it on a Tuesday, park opens at 8. Again, I’m thinking “lunch” is 2pm... but I’ll scale back my expectations a whole bunch!

No magic morning. The plan was to do it on a Tuesday, park opens at 8. Again, I’m thinking “lunch” is 2pm... but I’ll scale back my expectations a whole bunch!

I looked at this and said WOW, without maxpass the two of us would find that impossible to do by 1400. We will also be there in that time frame and have found it to save lots of time. How many people did you say?

Jack

I looked at this and said WOW, without maxpass the two of us would find that impossible to do by 1400. We will also be there in that time frame and have found it to save lots of time. How many people did you say?

Jack

I agree with Jack. I find ebharris's plan to be closer along the lines of a person doing that much in an entire day WITH maxpass.

Ebharris - are you traveling with littles?? Honestly, if you haven’t looked up Jumpin Jellyfish, do so before your trip. When there’s no line, it goes quickly, but it seats so few people, the line can take FOREVER, even if the line is short. It used to be a great alternative for my DS before he’d do ToT, but now - unless there is 0 wait - we won’t ride it. Sweet & cute ride, but just loading / unloading is SUPER slow - lots of kids need hoosts to the seats, then parents need to get seated. Even as a first timer, it’s one I suggest skipping (that and Heimlich’s chew train - don’t hate, after waiting over an hour dor that one years ago, that is #1 on our lists, including my kiddoes!)

Our first DCA ride is ALWAYS monsters inc. often we get to ride it 3-4 times in a row. Lots of ppl think that ride should go, it’s one of our favorites for true-to-movie theming.

Thank you for that -

Thank you for your help!
"afternoon" is very subjective. For some people "afternoon" means 4pm. I don't see any way to do everything on your schedule in 4 hours but you can sure try. You never know.

The maximum wait time without MP is 2 hours. The maximum wait time with MP is 90 minutes but you said you were trying to avoid MP. With your aggressive schedule, I highly recommend MP. We've used MP this past year so I can't answer on lines for RSR FP machines.

That's a lot. Impossible without MaxPass, maybe not even with but better results. Watch the app for an evening RSR time, I'm guessing noon but it varies. Ride wait and fast pass return times can be unpredictable and rides go down. Trying to preplan too much can lead to disappointment. I always have a to do list, but order isn't important. I get it all done.

I’m not sure you can get that list done in a done in a day. HA!

Skip jumpin jellyfish, palaround, golden zephyr and Luigi’s. They are a slow waste of time. Personally monsters inc wouldn’t top my list either.

Jack

I agree with Jack. I find ebharris's plan to be closer along the lines of a person doing that much in an entire day WITH maxpass.

Ebharris - are you traveling with littles?? Honestly, if you haven’t looked up Jumpin Jellyfish, do so before your trip. When there’s no line, it goes quickly, but it seats so few people, the line can take FOREVER, even if the line is short. It used to be a great alternative for my DS before he’d do ToT, but now - unless there is 0 wait - we won’t ride it. Sweet & cute ride, but just loading / unloading is SUPER slow - lots of kids need hoosts to the seats, then parents need to get seated. Even as a first timer, it’s one I suggest skipping (that and Heimlich’s chew train - don’t hate, after waiting over an hour dor that one years ago, that is #1 on our lists, including my kiddoes!)

Our first DCA ride is ALWAYS monsters inc. often we get to ride it 3-4 times in a row. Lots of ppl think that ride should go, it’s one of our favorites for true-to-movie theming.

"afternoon" is very subjective. For some people "afternoon" means 4pm. I don't see any way to do everything on your schedule in 4 hours but you can sure try. You never know.

The maximum wait time without MP is 2 hours. The maximum wait time with MP is 90 minutes but you said you were trying to avoid MP. With your aggressive schedule, I highly recommend MP. We've used MP this past year so I can't answer on lines for RSR FP machines.

That's a lot. Impossible without MaxPass, maybe not even with but better results. Watch the app for an evening RSR time, I'm guessing noon but it varies. Ride wait and fast pass return times can be unpredictable and rides go down. Trying to preplan too much can lead to disappointment. I always have a to do list, but order isn't important. I get it all done.

Clearly that plan is way too ambitious! So, I’ll take all the advice here (thank you) and scale it way back.

We are in DCA for two days. We will try day one without MaxPass and will get it the second day if we feel we need it. I know it’s only $10, but x by 4... and 4 days... and it’s now $160 US = over $200 Canadian. I do know though that we’ve already paid a lot for the trip so if we feel we really need it we will do it for our second days in each park. Thank you!

To answer... our kids are 12 and 15. We will do early mornings, breaks from 2-5ish, and late nights.

:)

Last month, my family made it a point to ride RSR twice in a day (once in the morning and once at night). We had MaxPass and pulled a FP for RSR as we were walking in and getting in line for Soarin’ standby. We then went on a couple rides before our RSR return time was up. As soon as we were able, we booked FP for GOTG. After riding Guardians, we were able to grab a FP to ride Soarin’ again, and as soon as our FP window opened up again, we got our nighttime FP for RSR, but for a later time than we were hoping for. We later grabbed FPs for Goofy’s Sky School. This was the week before Pixar Pier opened, so the Incredicoaster and TSMM were both closed at the time.

I would suggest getting MaxPass for just that one day if able. We tend to only add MaxPass at DCA as it feels more beneficial there for us. I would also watch the FP return times closely as once the evening times are available, it seems like they start to go more quickly.

Last month, my family made it a point to ride RSR twice in a day (once in the morning and once at night). We had MaxPass and pulled a FP for RSR as we were walking in and getting in line for Soarin’ standby. We then went on a couple rides before our RSR return time was up. As soon as we were able, we booked FP for GOTG. After riding Guardians, we were able to grab a FP to ride Soarin’ again, and as soon as our FP window opened up again, we got our nighttime FP for RSR, but for a later time than we were hoping for. We later grabbed FPs for Goofy’s Sky School. This was the week before Pixar Pier opened, so the Incredicoaster and TSMM were both closed at the time.

I would suggest getting MaxPass for just that one day if able. We tend to only add MaxPass at DCA as it feels more beneficial there for us. I would also watch the FP return times closely as once the evening times are available, it seems like they start to go more quickly.

Thank you Abbey, this was really helpful - I’ve added your notes to my phone so that I can do something similar. Fingers crossed :)

If you haven't been since MaxPass - I just want to make sure you know this component, too. If Disneyland opens at 7 (for hotel and 3 day ticket guests) and DCA opens at 8 - everyone in DL at 7 with MaxPass can start pulling FPs for either park. Additionally, when they start letting you through gates at DCA before the final rope drop, those persons with MaxPass will be pulling FP. With the popularity of Incredicoaster, I don't think you will have an early return time if you aren't pulling it until after riding Soarin'. Even brisks walking to pull that paper FP when DCA opens puts you behind everyone at DL & DCA with MaxPass. I think it makes the biggest difference during those first hours.

I’d like to pull FP for RSR both during the day, and then an evening return time as well.

According to Disneyland Daily’s touring guide, this is our best bet:

DCA touring plan:

1 Ride Soarin’ Around the World standby

3 Grab Incredicoaster FASTPASS

4 Ride Toy Story Midway Mania standby (if the wait is under 20 minutes; otherwise skip and pull a FASTPASS for it later)

5 Ride Goofy’s Sky School standby

6 Ride Pixar’s Pal-A-Round standby

7 Ride Jumpin’ Jellyfish standby

8 Ride Silly Symphony Swings standby

9 Ride Golden Zephyr standby

10 Ride Incredicoaster with FASTPASS

11 Grab Radiator Springs Racers FASTPASS

12 Ride Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree standby

13 Ride Luigi’s Rollickin’ Roadsters standby

14 Ride Ariel’s Undersea Adventure standby

15 Ride Monster’s Inc standby

16 Ride Radiator Springs Racers with FASTPASS

17 Grab Guardians of the Galaxy FASTPASS

18 Enjoy walk through attractions like Animation Academy, Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, etc. See characters and shows at this time, too.

19 Ride Guardians of the Galaxy with FASTPASS

20 Grab Grizzly River Rapids FASTPASS
** eat lunch if the timing is right, then go into GRR. Then go back to hotel for rest and swim. In evening do bugs land and standby, or pull fast passes for rides we want to repeat**

My question is... when would I be best to pull a FASTPASS to do RSR in the evening? I looked tonight and the wait was 110 minutes at 9pm according to the app.

We are trying to avoid MaxPass but will get it if that’s our best option for doing RSR twice.

Thank you!

Not impossible! We did the above plan today, minus Guardians because my kids didn’t want to do it.

So #18 and 20 flipped, and we rode Grizzly before we left.

Walked into the park at 8:22. Had lunch at Flo’s, walked out of the park at 1:45. We did not use Max Pass.

The key was definitely doing #5-9 early. Zero wait time.

We had a great day! We have a FASTPASS for RSR tonight but we may order pizza and relax! We did do it at night on Tuesday and it was worth it to see it at night! Having a great week, I’ll do an update at the end.

:)

Max Pass is a must to follow that plan. I love Casey she sure knows how to work the park, but without looking I bet she used Max Pass to pull off that attraction plan and most likely she was flying solo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter