Royal Caribbean Cancellation Policy

annmorr

Mouseketeer
I have been on 5 or 6 cruises with DCL, and loved everything about each of them..... from the ease of the booking process to their amazing customer service on board the ships. I really thought nothing would ever compare to them..

It turns out that as far as Royal Caribbean is concerned, I was right.

My daughter and her family were booked on a Royal Caribbean cruise, and I thought that I might join them, so I contacted her travel agent and after a series of emails with him requesting those specific dates, and a cabin close to my daughters I placed a deposit of $250. I did this by phone. I understood him to say that there was a $100 cancellation charge.

Yesterday I emailed him (4 months prior to sailing date) and advised that I was unable to take this cruise. I told him that I understood there was a $100 cancellation fee and asked that the balance of the deposit be credited back to my original form of payment.

He replied back that not only was there a $100 cancellation fee, but that the remaining $150 would only be posted as a credit for a future cruise to be taken within one year.

So of course I returned to research all of my prior emails with the travel agent and nowhere does he state this policy. I did manage to find this policy is stated in the fine print of the cruise contract, but it was such a confusing document that it was very easy to overlook.

So my message to anyone considering a Royal Caribbean cruise is to think twice ! You will not be dealing with a company at the level of DCL!

I have been on 5 or 6 cruises with DCL, and loved everything about each of them..... from the ease of the booking process to their amazing customer service on board the ships. I really thought nothing would ever compare to them..

It turns out that as far as Royal Caribbean is concerned, I was right.

My daughter and her family were booked on a Royal Caribbean cruise, and I thought that I might join them, so I contacted her travel agent and after a series of emails with him requesting those specific dates, and a cabin close to my daughters I placed a deposit of $250. I did this by phone. I understood him to say that there was a $100 cancellation charge.

Yesterday I emailed him (4 months prior to sailing date) and advised that I was unable to take this cruise. I told him that I understood there was a $100 cancellation fee and asked that the balance of the deposit be credited back to my original form of payment.

He replied back that not only was there a $100 cancellation fee, but that the remaining $150 would only be posted as a credit for a future cruise to be taken within one year.

So of course I returned to research all of my prior emails with the travel agent and nowhere does he state this policy. I did manage to find this policy is stated in the fine print of the cruise contract, but it was such a confusing document that it was very easy to overlook.

So my message to anyone considering a Royal Caribbean cruise is to think twice ! You will not be dealing with a company at the level of DCL!
I'm sorry but all of that is your travel agent's fault not RCCL. RCCL has 2 types of fares, refundable and non-refundable. Non-refundable is cheaper, but like you said you lose $100 and the other $150 goes to a future cruise credit. If your travel agent didn'texplain that to you and offer you the refundable rate I would complain and never use them again.

Personally I always book refundable. It's usually only a couple of hundred dollars more and I don't have to worry about losing the deposit. With Refundable fares the entire deposit is refunded if you cancel more than 90 days before your sail date.

Last edited:
I agree that this is totally on your travel agent. Not Royal. Not that I agree with the cancellation policy necessarily, but when I book directly through Royal, I am fully aware of which type of fare (refundable/non-refundable) I am booking. It is very clear on RCCL's website. I would certainly lodge a complaint about that travel agent though!

Yep. This is 100% your agent's fault. Not RCCL.

It's unfair to tell DCL cruisers that RCCL doesn't not compare since you have not given them a chance yet.

Would agree that this is on the TA. Whether it was poor service or an oversight, it's something that they are responsible for knowing and communicating to you. I'd recommend taking that $150, finding a TA you trust (since this was your daughter's TA, I doubt you'd be directly using them again) and trying to book another Royal cruise.

I did manage to find this policy is stated in the fine print of the cruise contract, but it was such a confusing document that it was very easy to overlook.
Fine print on a contract is never easy to read. I think it's because we never actually read it until we absolutely have to - I know I'm guilty of this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter