Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

Sunday Update: Back from Paradise, Reset Time, and Dealing with Life

IMG_3399.JPG

(Actual view from our room)

First things first...our destination wedding of a good friend's trip to Mexico last week (albeit shorter than we anticipated due to our crazy fog day with flight cancellations in Chicago) was pretty great. We stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo in Riviera Maya and I would go back in a heart beat, but for a longer trip because I really did not want to leave once I was there. (Which is what I say about all my dis-trips.) Missing my kiddo was the main reason it was easy to come back to the real world. So here's a mini trip report that is mostly pics (if you don't see the pics yet, come back in a few minutes when I add them in)

The customs part of our airport arrival was really short and easy. I was worried about it because I am not a seasoned international traveler...unless you count the world showcase. But walking through the gauntlet of people trying to sell us timeshares and get us on shuttles to other hotels was a bit intense (we were warned to put our heads down and just ignore it until we got to our real transportation guys outside of the airport.) That part was maybe the most stressful as we were in another country and it was a bit of a chaotic system. But we found our guy who got us to where we needed to go.
Hubby's buddies met us in the lobby upon arrival in 84 degree sunny beautiful weather and after getting an upgraded room (because we were late a day and they had sold out of our category...score!) the soon to be groom handed me a margherita and hubby a cervaza and I'm not sure we went very long the rest of the trip without someone handed us a fresh drink. It's like waiters at restaurants that come out of the woodwork to fill your water glass, but with mai-tai's, pina coladas, and dos equis and my new personal fave, the iceberg margerita (frozen marg in a cold beer.) Our magic bands were just little cloth bracelets that no one ever really checked...but at least we didn't have to scan them every time to pay money. Could you imagine if disneyworld was "all inclusive" ...wait, is that just "club level?"
IMG_3333.JPG

Our room was a wonderful pool view with a king bed and a balcony and an always stocked mini fridge.
IMG_3332.JPG

IMG_3341.JPG
We had a black and blue tropical bird in the palm tree outside our balcony. One of my fave things in the world is little bird cheeping noises. I'm sure some people would be highly annoyed, but bird songs and chittering makes me so happy. At home we have small chickadee birds that sit on our bathroom window sill outside and sing to me. I think I'm convincing myself that I'm actually Snow White. It makes sense.
IMG_3406.JPG
Anyways I had my own tiki bird..sadly no dole whip...but those iceberg margs were a good substitute.

We spent most of the days in the giant pool complex. It was like a pool on steroids. And every lawn chair had it's own grass umbrella hut situation. Which Irish-fair-skinned me really appreciated because I just can't be in the direct sun for too long. There was a swim up bar which is dangerous so I really paced myself and the wedding guests (54 of us total) really took over one section of the pool which was fun. I am proud to say I only have two very odd spots on me where I got small sections of sun burn. For me, that's a triumph.

Hitting save now to add in some pics. Stay tuned for all you can eat buffet musings and more about actual running.

Last edited:
Mexico trip update continued!

So of course along with the "here have a drink" culture was the "here have some food...all the food....every kind of food" The complex had two big buffet restaurants and then a few "reservations needed" themed dinner places where you order off a menu...but also they had buffets in them too. There were also stand alone taco stands, hamburger grills, crepe place, coffee place, ice cream place, random carts with cookies on them, random cigar and tequilla carts, etc etc etc. Our friends soon realized I liked the lattes and most of the time when I'd go to the buffets for "some" dessert food, there'd be lattes waiting for me at the tables. Not a bad way to live. The first night (which was supposed to be our second night) we had dinner at the "guys please wear pants" fancy steak place El Fogon. Hubby was a bit salty that they let some men in with shorts while he had changed into long pants. :)
Here's our one of the groomsmen (and one of roxykiddo's godfathers) and I being spiffy.
IMG_3414.JPG
And hubby and I being spiffy.
IMG_3415.JPG

I didn't take buffet pics because I was on a mission to consume all the calories I've been holding back on since New Years. I did get an Arrachera beef steak (I probably spelled that wrong) and everyone agreed that I ordered correctly.

Here's my glamour shot at night after dinner of the really pretty courtyard on the other side of our room.
IMG_3416.JPG

IMG_3334.JPG

Sadly I took no roxymama in bathing suits pictures but I can assure you that I got over my fear of just walking around sans pants/shorts on this trip. Which is a victory even though it sounds silly.

We spent every evening finding a lounge in the open air setup and just talking literally until past 2am. At one point they shut all the lights off in the resort and we had to kind of find our way back and ended up in the show building on accident.
Hubby and his two besties of 30+ years. (Both kiddo's godfathers and the groom is in the middle)

IMG_3418.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg

We attended the wedding on the beach (and in the shade...thank goodness!) at dusk one evening and it was perfect. Perfect weather, perfect setup, great cocktail hour (of course) beautiful bridal party and bride...just really nice. They rode us all on golf carts to the reception and we danced until the late hours.

IMG_3400.JPG IMG_3343.JPG IMG_3354.JPG
IMG_3417.JPG
And then headed to a star wars themed nightclub on property. I'm not kidding..it had a giant millenium falcon and statues of not-quite-right yodas and storm troopers hanging from the ceiling.
disco-galaxy-centro-comercial.jpg

I can't remember staying out this late this many days in a row that didn't involve firework shows at theme parks. But it was fun to jam a dozen people into the tiny cheeseburger grill and silently chowing down like party-zombies. Made me feel 22 instead of 37. And I'm happy to report I got out of the trip without one hangover!!! Let's say I was drinking at my long run pace and not at my T pace.

It was a fun trip and something out of my norm. I was a fan of the experience.

And we of course had to eat at margaritaville in the Cancun airport on the way home.
IMG_3377.JPG

Tbc

Last edited:
Weekend update final part

So you can imagine I had a lot of catching up to do at work once back to the real world. And catching up on my being with my kiddo time...because I did miss her so much just being away even for a short trip. So I don't think I looked at the running thread more than once in the last week. I have to do some heavy catch up!! I've been carrying some emotional weight too this week and I hemmed and hawed on whether I wanted to even talk about it. Honestly wasn't really ready to until maybe right now. Roxymama'smama has been having a rough time with chemo and treatments related to her battle with cancer. And it has been a battle. She has had to take breaks from it off an on to recuperate and get her strength back up only to tackle chemo again and again. And now she has made the decision to be comfortable for as long as she can be and has stared up hospice care. This has been tough. It's almost good that work is a whole new set of challenges because it's been good distraction. But I love my mom and I hate that we may not get a long time with her. It's all an unknown...which I guess you can say about even the healthiest people. How long we all get is a total unknown. So roxymama'smama is in adventure mode. Lots of going out to eat. Tuesday she will be going with my dad to milwaukee to stay at the hotel I stayed at for my race weekend. Just to do a test getaway that is close to home. She has plans to try to maybe get to Vancouver and Austin. Bucket list type stuff.
Guys..I have to be honest...I haven't been running a lot the last two weeks. I'm exhausted mentally and physically by the time I get home each night and being alone with my thoughts on a treadmill or on the pavement...I'm scared of that. So I've been distancing myself. And I've been ashamed to admit it because I'm the type who takes great pride in tackling training plans...doing all the work...and kicking booty at the races. I'm like that with work too. So I feel like I'm being a slacker with running. But I'm dealing with a lot.

It's sunny out today. All the snow has melted. I think I'm ready to re-set. We had a really nice dinner with my mom and dad at a bohemian restaurant last night and my parents didn't seem sad (on the outside at least) so I think I need to get back to celebrating life like I was on my mexico trip. Hubby is at his second indoor triathlon of the season right now. And I need to run. I like REALLY NEED it. So this afternoon I will run again. Gonna PM coach soon today and ask about what to do. I think 5 days is just too rich for now until my April half because I'm gonna want to spend more time than usual with my mom and also with my new role at work. I want to hit the ground running and maybe get back to 5 days for the full marathon. CAn't wait for it to be warmer and super focused on having the best marathon ever (since it'll be my first one, I already know that will happen) but I kinda have had a hard time with this current plan getting into the routine. Time to re-set, re-focus, and be ok with myself that life happens and we just have to roll with it.

Thoughts and prayers and good vibes appreciated for my family right now. We could use the support and that's why I needed to face reality and get back here. Because here I am happy.

On my phone so I’m sorry about the brevity of my reply.

First, I’m so glad you were able to enjoy a wonderful time in Mexico. It looks truly beautiful.

Second, I’m so sorry about your mama. Cancer sucks and I hate it. I don’t want to give you a bunch of platitudes, so know that I’m thinking of you and your family and hoping for strength and peace and love for you and your mom and your family.

Third, running will always be there for you when you are ready for it and sounds like you may be again. Use it when it helps you and leave it with no guilt when other priorities in your life need you more.

If I can help in anyway, I’m here as we all are if only to read and give you support. :hug:

I’m so glad you and your husband made it to mexico - I know how precious that kid-free time can be, esp in such a beautiful spot! And warm weather!

And, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom update. Sending you lots peaceful vibes as you manage this time.

Love the Mexico update - sounds like a great trip!

So sorry to hear about what's going on with roxymama'smama. I know from everything you've said about her that she's an incredible person, and I hope you get to have some fun with her in whatever time she has left (which hopefully will be more time than expected). I will definitely be keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers.

On my phone so I’m sorry about the brevity of my reply.

First, I’m so glad you were able to enjoy a wonderful time in Mexico. It looks truly beautiful.

Second, I’m so sorry about your mama. Cancer sucks and I hate it. I don’t want to give you a bunch of platitudes, so know that I’m thinking of you and your family and hoping for strength and peace and love for you and your mom and your family.

Third, running will always be there for you when you are ready for it and sounds like you may be again. Use it when it helps you and leave it with no guilt when other priorities in your life need you more.

If I can help in anyway, I’m here as we all are if only to read and give you support. :hug:

Thanks zelly. I think you are right about a lot of things. :hug:

Love and hugs to you! Sounds like an amazing trip, and roxymama'smama sounds like an amazing lady. :hug:

She totally is. :hug:

I’m so glad you and your husband made it to mexico - I know how precious that kid-free time can be, esp in such a beautiful spot! And warm weather!

And, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom update. Sending you lots peaceful vibes as you manage this time.

:hug:

Love the Mexico update - sounds like a great trip!

So sorry to hear about what's going on with roxymama'smama. I know from everything you've said about her that she's an incredible person, and I hope you get to have some fun with her in whatever time she has left (which hopefully will be more time than expected). I will definitely be keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers.

I think you and my mama would get along well. Born in Brooklyn and raised in Long Island, though she's a Mets fan. :).

This is what I did today. An hour felt right and the wind froze my phone three times. So I had some start and stops. The streets sure got ripped up from the snow + thaw + rain + flooding last few weeks. Gravel city. But happy that my legs felt fine. I just think I wasn't ready for 9 miles today. I could have done it, but I didn't. More miles without music scared me off. Still proud of myself for getting out there. I'll do better and more next time. All laps were within pace so at least I'm not too far behind I hope.
IMG_3421.PNG

Just do a week of easy since you haven't been able to do much running lately. We can talk about the rest when you're ready.

My mom is also a Mets fan! (Here's a secret that most people don't know about me ... as a young child, I was a huge Mets fan. I switched over to Yankees when I was around 7-8 years old, maybe even a little older)

Great job getting out there and getting a run done! It may not have been 9 miles, but after not running much, this seems like a great return to running!

Looks like you had a great time in Mexico!

Sorry to hear about your mom. That is never easy and I hope the best for her and your family. I hope she has a good weekend here in Milwaukee!

Your Mexico trip sounds lovely and maybe a little bit like just what the doctor ordered right now. I’m so glad you guys got that time.

I’m sorry to hear about your mama. I like the sentiment that she’s in adventure mode right now - I hope you can make some wonderful memories that will help carry you through this chapter. Cancer sucks, and I’m sending prayers and warm thoughts your way.

We’re here for you whether you’re running or not. Hugs to you all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter