Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

How was the running tonight? Swoop the Cockatiel was running in circles on the bed ...it’s like a tiny tiny 5k?

Wait ... your cockatiel runs tiny 5Ks (I assume that 5K is more like 5 inches or so ...) on your bed? That's either really weird or really awesome.

How was the running tonight? Swoop the Cockatiel was running in circles on the bed ...it’s like a tiny tiny 5k?

I saw your texts while I was hoofing it at the gym! It was hard but I did it!

Wait ... your cockatiel runs tiny 5Ks (I assume that 5K is more like 5 inches or so ...) on your bed? That's either really weird or really awesome.

Swoop likes to land on my head when I visit my sister. It's awesome and frightening at the same time.

We have a California Kingsized bed and he runs from my pillow, to the foot of the bed and then back up to my husbands pillow...and then back around. He’s a goofball! Maybe I should get him a tiny runners bib but he’d probably just try to eat it ;)

I have a cold again........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Poor kiddo has one too but is on the mend so I hope I can follow suit.
Working through it. At least I have this medal announcement...what a beauty to look forward to!
27540282_937544836396648_1257706506330509478_n.jpg

I love that the medal is different every year. And so pretty!

I'll be back with a long post tonight...PROMISE!

Last edited:

Monday Update: I just want to not have a cold, it’s really all I ask

giphy.gif

In the grand scheme of things, having this “thing” that I have isn’t so bad. I mean, I feel mostly normal if not kinda low energy until I get these spasm coughs where I can’t completely catch my breath for fear of the tickle in my throat that causes the cough to turn into a full on crazy hacking ordeal. And then I go back to somewhat normal after excusing myself and being a cough-monster in the bathroom at work for a few minutes. Ugh.

But I can deal with this if my mama can deal with what she has. And I’m not injured. And I’m not hospitalized with the flu. And at least I’m not a cute little 5 year old who I wish didn’t have to be sick. But I’m still DONE with being sick this year. It’s super annoying to feel like you’ve gotten over something and then a few weeks later…boom here it is again.

giphy.gif

So last week at the beginning of the week I was feeling well and good and so my training was just fine and normal and good. Even had a check in with da coach about how my Daniels T pace felt after my hard run on Thursday and I was concerned about how tired my legs felt on the last interval but he assured me that it’s basically normal. I think he called it “comfortably hard” or something very similar. And then the weekend got here. I was in denial that a cold that started on Friday was getting worse and luckily only had EB (which ain’t so bad) but by Sunday I was just not GOOD. Kiddo had a cousin date for Disney on Ice which I took her to and I was actually pretty good just sitting (save for a few cough fits that are super embarrassing) and by the time we got home it was 4pm and my body was DONE. I felt horrible. And I hadn’t been eating really. And I thought I’ll skip my 7 mile LR (I thought that’s what it was) because there’s no way. I didn’t realize until yesterday at work that it was a 10 miler! For some reason skipping 7 seemed ok, but skipping 10 seemed like the end of the world. I texted hubby in a panic…I SKIPPED 10 MILES…I didn’t realize!!!
giphy.gif

He said it would be ok…to get myself better, regroup, talk to you all if I had concerns. So I day-quilled and last night I nyquilled. Hubby asked if I felt like getting my 10 in last night and my body just wasn’t ready.
giphy.gif

So – I’m going to continue on with running tonight. I am feeling better, save for the random “can’t catch my breath coughing jags” My appetite is kinda back so I’m making an effort to intake calories and HYDRATE! My easy tonight will be easy…if the EA feels harder than it should I will run slower than EA. I’ll make it feel EA basically. I’m still so mad I missed my 10 miler…but I think it would have made it harder to be feeling better today. I know you all can understand how "end of the world" this kind of thing can feel to a runner on a mission.

There are only 16 MORE DAYS UNTIL MEXICO. I get to GO TO MEXICO in 16 days!!
giphy.gif

All inclusive wedding trip with my hubby aka the Best Man and my kiddo will be with family. So I don’t want to be sick…I want to get over this thing. I can still run…I’m sure of it…I just may need to go easy and feel it out as I go.

DB I may check in with you as the week progresses if I’m unsure. But I think I’ll be ok tonight and tomorrow if I just listen to my body about real-feel-easy.

PS Anyone with packing tips/trip tips for all inclusive beach resorts please let me know. I'm a super newbie to all of this.

Week #3: Half Marathon PR attempt plan

Monday 1/29: OFF – I took Nyquil and slept through the night = success!

Tuesday 1/30: 5 mi @ EA – taking it very easy

Wednesday 1/31: 6 mi @ EB + strides – see how I feel on pace

Thursday 2/1: 2mi @ WU + 2x2 mile @ T w/ 3 min RI @ WU + 1 mi CD – I’ll check in with Da Coach…hoping I just feel better enough

Friday 2/2: OFF

Sat 2/3: 5 mi @EB

Sun 2/4: 6 mi @LR blind – Ok, so I’m glad we stepped back down to 6 for this week and I like blind long runs…always have. So I’ll just try to do everything to get better so that I can have a happy LR.

So the Too Long, Didn’t Read summary
I hate being sick
I wish I wasn’t sick
I’m trying to get better so I can stop being sick
I just want to run
I just want to feel good for my very first trip south of the border and first trip with hubby sans-kiddo in 5 years
Also I’m tired of winter

Bring on the
giphy.gif

Last edited:
DB I may check in with you as the week progresses if I’m unsure. But I think I’ll be ok tonight and tomorrow if I just listen to my body about real-feel-easy.

You'll be fine missing a single 10 miler. No one single run defines the training cycle. It's the cumulative effect of all of them together. So, it'll be merely a blip in the grand scheme. Just keep doing what you feel comfortable with and keep it easy until you feel heathy again.

Boo on being sick! Some of these stupid viral respiratory (not flu) things going around this year are so tenacious. Rest and heal and like DB said, one missed training run won't derail you.

And, MEXICO!! You WILL be better by then and you WILL have an amazing time!!!

Sending you all the feeling better vibes I can muster! I somehow haven't gotten sick yet this season, so I am sure it is bound to happen around my birthday when I am trying to do my "A" goal HM.

Just keep your eye on that Mexico trip! Sounds like it's gonna be so much fun!

So sorry you've had a rough winter with illness- it seems like there is SO much crud going around.
Hope you feel better and are back up and running (get it?) soon!!

No one single run defines the training cycle.

I should tattoo this on my forehead.
Right next to my "Go Run" tattoo I got last week.
(J/k I'm saving my only tattoo for when I finally make it as an athlete in the Olympics...)

Boo on being sick! Some of these stupid viral respiratory (not flu) things going around this year are so tenacious. Rest and heal and like DB said, one missed training run won't derail you.

And, MEXICO!! You WILL be better by then and you WILL have an amazing time!!!

Ole!!! I just want to sit with a margarita and stare off into space and not be rushed. I'm so hoping I can be feeling 100%!

Sending you all the feeling better vibes I can muster! I somehow haven't gotten sick yet this season, so I am sure it is bound to happen around my birthday when I am trying to do my "A" goal HM.

Just keep your eye on that Mexico trip! Sounds like it's gonna be so much fun!

Knock on wood! Throw salt over your shoulder!! Yell "No Jinx!!"

I hope you survive the cold season :)

So sorry you've had a rough winter with illness- it seems like there is SO much crud going around.
Hope you feel better and are back up and running (get it?) soon!!

I see what you did there :)

Feel better roxymama and roxykiddo! Respiratory season has not been so fun here on the east coast either. Everyone wash your hands, try not to touch your face, and feel better soon! =)

Feel better roxymama and roxykiddo! Respiratory season has not been so fun here on the east coast either. Everyone wash your hands, try not to touch your face, and feel better soon! =)

And wipe your gym treadmill down before and after you use it!!!
I think I'm on the right side of this cold . I'd give myself a B- on how I'm feeling which is a passing grade.
My easy miles have been at or +10 (sometimes way more than +10 sec) off pace on purpose. Playing my next one by ear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter